Thread: Go away wind!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Go away wind!

just sayin

..ouch
    Plus side is this stuff is quickly evaporating the show in shaded areas that would typically take weeks to melt.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    makes for good training resistance too

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    People complaining about wind on the Front Range =

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    The main reason it's so warm on the FR right now and most of this winter is because of the winds. Google "chinook winds"

Your bike is incorrigible
    I agree, the wind on the front range really blows.

imaorobbie
    Quote Originally Posted by bipolarbear
    The main reason it's so warm on the FR right now and most of this winter is because of the winds. Google "chinook winds"
    More correctly, they are called Foehn winds. And I think the OP is suffering from Foehn wind depression.

Orographic uplift is sweet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by imaorobbie
    More correctly, they are called Foehn winds. And I think the OP is suffering from Foehn wind depression.

Orographic uplift is sweet.
    Would you stop with the "Foehn winds" already? If you advise a newly arrived resident that those downslope winds are called "Foehn" around these parts you will be leading him down a path of utter humiliation when natives, one after another, look him in the eye and say "Huh? Those are called Chinook winds, dummy". I've lived here most of my life and you're the first one to insist they be called "Foehn".
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

imaorobbie
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    Would you stop with the "Foehn winds" already? If you advise a newly arrived resident that those downslope winds are called "Foehn" around these parts you will be leading him down a path of utter humiliation when natives, one after another, look him in the eye and say "Huh? Those are called Chinook winds, dummy". I've lived here most of my life and you're the first one to insist they be called "Foehn".
    Yep, I've lived here all my life, too. And I know Chinook winds. However, there is a difference: "Chinook winds (pronounced /ʃɪˈnʊk/), often called chinooks, commonly refers to foehn winds[1] in the interior West of North America, where the Canadian Prairies and Great Plains meet various mountain ranges, although the original usage is in reference to wet, warm coastal winds in the Pacific Northwest.[2](wikipedia)"

So, the term Chinook is an improper colloquial usage, since the term comes from the Northwest and refers to warm, wet, costal winds. The winds here are warm, but not wet and certainly not coastal. So, if you are talking to a geologist, or geomorpologist, or climate scientist, or anyone not familiar with the colloquial term "chinook" you might avoid some self-imposed humiliation by using the correct term.

rr
    I don't do PC
    You might want to tell all the meteorologists that Mr smartypants

I'm with the OP, lot of wind with the winter were having, I just patched a section of fence from last nights hurricane and my back hurts just thinking about the real repair

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by imaorobbie
    Yep, I've lived here all my life, too. And I know Chinook winds. However, there is a difference: "Chinook winds (pronounced /ʃɪˈnʊk/), often called chinooks, commonly refers to foehn winds[1] in the interior West of North America, where the Canadian Prairies and Great Plains meet various mountain ranges, although the original usage is in reference to wet, warm coastal winds in the Pacific Northwest.[2](wikipedia)"

So, the term Chinook is an improper colloquial usage, since the term comes from the Northwest and refers to warm, wet, costal winds. The winds here are warm, but not wet and certainly not coastal. So, if you are talking to a geologist, or geomorpologist, or climate scientist, or anyone not familiar with the colloquial term "chinook" you might avoid some self-imposed humiliation by using the correct term.
    You grew up here calling these winds "foehn", hearing all the TV weathermen calling them "foehn winds"? What sort of parallel universe are you living in? I guarantee you I've lived here longer than you have and you're the first person I've ever heard call them "foehn".

"Improper colloquial usage" my azz, it's what we call these warm downslope winds, that's "proper" enough for me.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

imaorobbie

Thanks

It would be interesting how many meteorologist know the term 'Foehn' or the origin of 'Chinook' and the difference between the two. The glossary in my meteorology text list foehn under chinook, but defines chinook as a dry downslope wind: the definition of Foehn winds. So, chinook is the colloquial name of the phenomenon know as Foehn winds.

I've been looking for a topic for a research paper. A hypothesis and a conclusion to boot.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    who really gives a duck what the proper name for the wind is. its wind. its annoying and its contributing to the worst preseason fire conditions we've seen in over a decade.

imaorobbie

a square is a rectangle; a rectangle is not a square

Quote Originally Posted by getupgetdown
    who really gives a duck what the proper name for the wind is. its wind. its annoying and its contributing to the worst preseason fire conditions we've seen in over a decade.
    I think it's rude to offer a duck up without asking its permission, first. I find the difference between 'Chinook' and 'Foehn' very interesting. Though, I suppose, being annoyed by something you can't control is one way to feel.

Isn't it fascinating, that while the front range is extremely dry, the high country is still accumulating snow? It gets better: the two are directly related. Ever wonder why most of the glacial valleys and large snow fields are one the east side of the mountains in Colorado? Yep, you guessed it, Chinook (or Foehn) winds. What an intimate interaction of air and earth, along with fire and water, that sculpts the ground on which we play. The multitudes of connections are mind boggling. Try thinking about it next time you're riding your favorite trail. It can make the technical section that much more interesting (and harder to clear).

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    im sorry, i should have been more clear. i find the differece interesting also....i just dont get why xcguy got so heated over the name.

Ride Everything
    Rode the Dirty Bis on Saturday, and about half of it was directly into the wind. Ended up with the worst sinus headache that evening.

GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

Team Inflexible
    This thread "blows"

rr
    I don't do PC
    I thought all the hot air was from the IKE's on this forum