mtbr member
    Aug 2007

GMSV Short Track Series

Green Mountain Sports Velo is promoting a short track mtb series every Tuesday in July. It will be held in Golden at Lookout Mtn. Youth Services Center. I'm attaching the race flyer for those of you who are interested. I'm the promoter and my contact info. is on the flyer.
    A side note. I'm a pretty good cyclocrosser and a good climber on the mtb. but my cornering and descending basically suck. Any advice or anyone who would like to help me get better?
    Attached Files Attached Files

mtbr member
    Pedal and don't use your brakes, I think that was Nathan Rennie's advice.

not actually bad :)
    lwaldman3, hopefully you'll be back to bump this thread at the end of June!
    Old Codger

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

license fee

The ACA 1 day-er costs a much as the entry fee. You might think about adjusting that...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy
    The ACA 1 day-er costs a much as the entry fee. You might think about adjusting that...

You can't adjust that, that's what the ACA one-day is. A $10 race is awesome.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

yes

A $10 race is awesome, agreed, but this is a $20 race, and a pretty short one at that. Now I think the race is cool, but the ACA charges a lot. Just saying. Can you ditch the ACA?

GL1
    mtbr member

Aca

Yeah, so the ACA annual is $45, so considering there are 4 of these races, you are still better off just doing the daily license for each of them unless you plan on doing any other ACA races which...unless you are racing road has pretty limited MTB offerings around here and overall.

I can appreciate the problem of needing insurance and other support that the ACA offers but that is a bummer as you are right, $20 is a bit steep for a short track race. $10 is perfect though.

Perhaps the group behind this could look at what the people running the Boulder/CU Short Track Series did, or what the Fort Collins Short Track crew is doing. I don't think you had/have to have an ACA license for these events, and they must be insured etc. as well.

Also, let us know a bit more about the actual track.

I'm all about the effort to do this though and to have a short track series here on the front range. And again...although I think there are some issues here with price becasue of the ACA, I will try to support the series and show up.
    2011 Santa Cruz Nomad
    2011 Specialized P1
    1999 GT Zaskar

mtbr member
    Check out the STXC races at the Mountain States Cup Series and the US Nationals, it will blow your freakin mind.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

The ACA fee issue

I have raced the Boulder series for the last few years and you need to have either an ACA or USAC / Norba license to ride. I don't know what Fort Collins is doing. I do know that the Front Range series is requiring an ACA license and their entry fees are higher than GMSV. I understand the problem with one - day fees raising the cost. I guess my response is this: The ACA license allows you to ride cyclocross events as well and there are over two dozen on the calendar. So, for the $45.00 that a license costs you it allows you to do more than just the 4 races at Lookout. Second, I feel it's important to support bicycle racing of all types in the state and if that means affiliating with ACA, for me it's a no-brainer. It is the organization that makes the majority of racing possible in Colorado, Third, $1.00 of each entry fee goes to the Lookout Mountain Youth Services Center to support activities for their kids. So my advice: buy the license. If nothing else, it supports racing in our state.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Oh yeah, and one more thing

As far as the race distance / times. They are the same in Boulder. I wanted to make the races longer and the Chief Referee for the race, who has over 25 years of experience officiating mountain bike races told me that short track races are meant to be short. I appreciate all of the comments though. Thanks for pushing my thinking.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

makes sense

Sort of. Its not that big of a deal, but I am not that crazy about the ACA or USCF. I find the most fun races are the one-off, non affiliated races. Good luck with the short track. Whe do Men's C race? I hope it will be a bit more accessable (ie slower) than the "C" group in Boulder.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Check the flyer that I attached to my original post, or go to the ACA website for the start times.

GL1
    mtbr member

Okay...

Okay, so I had to some research because I was not sure of what the "Front Range Series" was that you referenced in your post. Now I see it is a separate series put on with the ACA and yes, that does help to maximize the yearly $45 cost for the ACA annual license for me (although there are only two races left in that series). I'm really only interested in MTB. No cyclocross or road. I found the Front Range Series info here: http://www.racepacepromotions.com/

Thanks also for clarifying that Boulder has the ACA requirement too...although I didn't find it on the ACA site/schedule so I'm not sure if this year it is an ACA deal or not. If it is, that further maximizes the cost of the annual ACA license. What I did find on the Boulder Short Track series is here: http://www.cushorttrack.com/

Anyway, I do think after looking around a bit etc., that you are pretty competitively priced on this.

Now, I've been out of the racing scene for a few years, so I have some questions. This "short track" racing is somewhat new to me although I did do the Thunder Mtn Race Series put on by the ACA around 2002 or so. Is this like that?

So here's the deal...can someone answer all my "noob" questions and fill me in on this short track phenomenon that I have been so oblivious to?

It's MTB's for sure right? Assuming so, what type of MTB's are being raced? Hardtails, FS's...? I would assume a HT has an advantage.

They are short races around 30 min, and on a fairly "fast" track with minimal obstacles etc. is that correct? Is it like singletrack or...? Are there any obstacles/jumps/berms, etc.? Are there any decent climbs? Are there "passing" places?

Again, sorry for all the dumb questions, but I've just been trail riding for a few years. Any info on short track racing would be appreciated.

Thanks! Looking forward to checking it out.
    Last edited by GL1; 05-13-2010 at 06:09 PM.
    2011 Santa Cruz Nomad
    2011 Specialized P1
    1999 GT Zaskar

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

more info.

You asked good questions. First of all, the Boulder series is going on, starting on May 19 which is this coming Wednesday. I believe the website is cushorttrackcom. As far as our series, short track mtb racing is pretty much like a dirt criterium which is why they are so short in time. The efforts are pretty intense and I never see anyone who isn't totally knackered at the end. Our courses will be technical and turny and will put a premium on bike handling. As far as bikes you see everything from full sus. bikes to hardtails, to 29ers to cyclocross bikes to single speeds. The courses vary. The Boulder courses are pretty single track'y', ours at Lookout will be wider, much more like the width of a cyclocross course. Nothing funky like artificial jumps or berms, etc., just good hard racing.