mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Give Your Input on Apex Park Trailhead Improvements

Come weigh in on proposed trailhead improvements at Apex Park, and give your thoughts on Jefferson County Open Space pursuing the idea of constructing a "Mountain Bike Skills Trail" at one of our parks.

See Details Below:

Thursday, March 21, 5:30-7:30 PM

Apex Park Trailhead Project Public Presentation

Jefferson County Open Space offices
    700 Jefferson County Parkway
    , Suite 100
    Golden, CO 80401

http://jeffco.us/jeffco/openspace_uploads/Apex_Park_Project_Information_3_19_13.pdf
    Last edited by Ride n' Climb; 03-20-2013 at 03:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Bump.

I'm with stupid
    I think a chairlift would be the best addition.

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    I think a chairlift would be the best addition.
    The perfect chairlift already exists at heritage square next to TH- why not construct a couple downhill trails off the west side of the alpine slide area.
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

Stand back
    I want more details on the beginner skills trail that's proposed.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

GL1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by PBR me! View Post
    The perfect chairlift already exists at heritage square next to TH- why not construct a couple downhill trails off the west side of the alpine slide area.
    I have had this thought as well many times. I don't think they even run the slide anymore and they are missing the boat. Take the track out and you have a dual slalom course right there.

Growing up here, "the square" has always been odd and all sorts of endeavors have been tried up there though it never really materialized into any one thing. Originally it was going to be a major amusement park. I had relatives that had invested in it. Some of it...a lot of what is still there was built in '59 and they even had some big rides and a ski slope with artificial snow in the winter. But, by '60 there were financial issues and the grand initial plan never happened of course. One interesting thing is that there was talk of running a roller coaster down the mountain/valley using the natural terrain and it was to be in a part of the park called...The Enchanted Forest. So we got our roller coaster after all albeit in a different way. Now if we could get that chairlift...
    Last edited by GL1; 03-21-2013 at 05:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Dont ruin any awesome downhills like Jeffco did at White Ranch last year

GL1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by taylor.roberts View Post
    Yeah what was that all about on LH last year? Clean it up maybe but when they were done it was a bit much. Happily a lot of it has reverted already. They did that on chimney a few years ago too...

GL1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

I was wrong...slide is still in use but it could serve a ridge trail that dropped into the top of EF. Fun to dream...

Also as I looked over the plan I think I'd personally rather they put the time and energy into some new trail or features on EF (dreaming again I know). The "beginner" area at GBP was a good idea but as we know it never got much use and was scrapped for pump track expansion which I think was a better use of the space. Again...a good IDEA, but I think the resources could be spent better...heck even a pump track...everyone of all abilities enjoys a good pump track!
    Last edited by GL1; 03-21-2013 at 05:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser View Post
    I want more details on the beginner skills trail that's proposed.
    We're looking at the "Bike Skillz" course at Valmont as an example.

If a mountain bike skills trail was built at Apex, its location right off the Kinney Run Trail would provide great access to families, kids, and novice riders in an area with that demographic present.

Stand back
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride n' Climb View Post
    We're looking at the "Bike Skillz" course at Valmont as an example.

If a mountain bike skills trail was built at Apex, its location right off the Kinney Run Trail would provide great access to families, kids, and novice riders in an area with that demographic present.
    I like it. We're still working on something more along those lines at GBP, too.
    Also in discussion is connecting under Heritage Rd through the drainage structure, and then a trail through the parcel on the east side of the street that the City of Golden purchased a little while back.
    Golden Bike Park

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Also in discussion is connecting under Heritage Rd through the drainage structure, and then a trail through the parcel on the east side of the street that the City of Golden purchased a little while back.
    Very cool.

The big thing right now at Apex is the MTB community needs to show up and voice their support for this idea. At last nights meeting I didn't see anyone from the MTB community. The equestrian community showed up in force as did local neighbors. We got good feedback from the audience on this idea, but I expected a few folks would show from the MTB community. I know it's not a sexy new downhill trail, but you have to start somewhere.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    So.... if you didn't get the hint, take two steps to have your voice heard:

1. Look at the project info here: http://jeffco.us/jeffco/openspace_up...on_3_20_13.pdf

2. Provide your comments here: apexpark@jeffco.us

Public input does matter, and now is the time to chime in.

ridin dirtay
    JeffCo is very aware of the value of parks with relation to the health of its community, children, in particular.
    Party for Parks With Purpose - Open Space - Jefferson County, CO

If we want a beginer park, children and community health should be part of the reasoning, as they may listen to this angle more than "it'd be way rad".

Now we want a pump track! For the kids, of course...
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

ridin dirtay

re: gauging interest in a mountain bike skills park

The next open house is:
    Tuesday, April 2, 5:30 - 7:30 PM -- Neighborhood/Public Open House, Jefferson County Open Space offices, 700 Jefferson County Parkway, Suite 100, Golden, CO 80401

The email should be sent to apexpark@jeffco.us, and it needs to answer 3 questions:

1. Is a Mountain Bike Skills Trail amenity of interest to you?
    2. Would you like JCOS to provide such an amenity?
    3. If so, at what park or location would you like to see such a feature?

http://jeffco.us/jeffco/openspace_up...on_3_19_13.pdf

Here's a copy of mine, if anyone wants to borrow and paraphrase:

Hello,

I am writing in regards to gaging interest for a novice mountain bike skills trail.
    My family and I live in Golden, and we would certainly be interested in such a trail. Many times it is difficult to find something for the children to do that keeps them active and entertained. Riding bikes is a wonderful activity that can develop skills that last a lifetime.

I would be quite interested in JCOS building a park for novice mountain bike riders. It would help build a sense of community. Parks like this are finding their way into places all over our wonderful state. These parks give children and other community members time to interact while doing a fun and healthy activity. This would certainly fall in line with JCOS' commitment to fight childhood obesity. (As mentioned here: Party for Parks With Purpose - Open Space - Jefferson County, CO )

I am not certain the best location for this park, but Apex Park or other close to town areas would be great. I beleive that an area that has neighborhood access would be of substaintial benefit. Myself and other members of the community would be very willing to help construct such a trail.

Thank you for your time

WKD-RDR, Golden resident
    Last edited by WKD-RDR; 03-27-2013 at 09:04 AM.

Build Advocate Educate
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR View Post
    The next open house is:
    Tuesday, April 2, 5:30 - 7:30 PM -- Neighborhood/Public Open House, Jefferson County Open Space offices, 700 Jefferson County Parkway, Suite 100, Golden, CO 80401
    That is fantastic, thanks WKD-RDR! COMBA has posted it on our website: Apex Park Trailhead Project 2013: Input Needed! | Colorado Mountain Bike Association and will send out an email blast this week. Could we use your text as a boiler-plate?
    Last edited by COMBA.org; 03-27-2013 at 09:13 AM.

ridin dirtay
    Sure. Its the internet, its public.

I can't ride 45!
    April 2nd, on my calendar

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR View Post
    Sure. Its the internet, its public.
    I copyright everything I put on the interwebz. ©

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Is that the parcel across from the fire station with the dumpy farmhouse? Why'd they buy that?

Stand back
    The city bought it (with urging from a group of neighbors) to turn into a city park, in order to keep it from being commercially developed. They just bought land for now, though. The houses are still privately owned.
    Golden Bike Park

Build Advocate Educate

Tonight!

If you would like to give your input - please show up tonight at Jefferson County Open Space or via email at apexpark@jeffco.us

Info: http://jeffco.us/jeffco/openspace_up...on_3_20_13.pdf

Apex Park Trailhead Project 2013: Input Needed! | Colorado Mountain Bike Association

"Interest Gauge:
    In order to gauge interest in a new concept for enriching the park experience, JCOS is using this public input opportunity to ask about a possible amenity for park visitors. Please help us understand the
    interest and desire within our Parks system for a possible Mountain Bike Skills Trail described below.

Concept of Mountain Bike Skills Trail
    Goal: Provide novice riders with a location to learn basic trail riding skills, proper riding technique, trail etiquette and stewardship.
    Description: A Mountain Bike Skills Trail would consist of a natural surface trail with features built into the surface to mimic obstacles and conditions a rider would likely encounter while riding in a JCOS Park.

These might include switchbacks, rock gardens, water bars, and balance logs in order to closely replicate the experience found on our trail system. In cases where the experience canít be replicated identically, such as a narrow trail with a drop off, logs set parallel
    along trail tread might be placed to mimic this trail condition.
    1. Is a Mountain Bike Skills Trail amenity of interest to you?
    2. Would you like JCOS to provide such an amenity?
    3. If so, at what park or location would you like to see such a feature?"

Cheers,
    COMBA

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by taylor.roberts View Post
    On that note. Hey downhillers, don't ruin the trail by cutting the switchback on the front side of upper pick n' sledge. I rebuilt it with rocks last night. Please keep it that way.
    99% of the problems and questions posted here would be answered if people actually walked into a bicycle shop and asked