Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Bad Case of the Mondays

Give some time back to get Boulder trails back open

We need 30+ people to do some restoration to the High Plains trail in Boulder Saturday morning. Part of the Dirty Bismark has been opened, but the city needs a strong crew Saturday morning to help repair the damage on High Plains. There was a strong voice of people wanting to help after the floods, and this is your chance so lets show up.

Give one morning back to help restore the trails that we all ride.

Meet at 9am Saturday morning at Greenbelt Plateau parking lot (Highway 93 / 128), we'll go from there. If you can make it, please let us know as this won't happen without a proper crew.

Now older but less slow!
    I really wish I could but I have a mother-in-law from out if town this weekend and I'm stuck with her this weekend.

I wish you a strong turnout !

My leg feels funny
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNormsk View Post
    I really wish I could but I have a mother-in-law from out if town this weekend and I'm stuck with her this weekend.
    You know a trail dig day is a great opportunity to dig large holes bury stuff in them, just saying.

Give dirt to me... Repent
    Jul 2005
    I can be there. Do I need to rsvp anywhere else or do you have this covered, Jdub?

Bad Case of the Mondays
    I can take a count and get it to the city organizer. Thanks for volunteering.

Who else is in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

I'd rather donate time to trails I actually want to ride. When is that going to start? (serious ?)

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    I'd rather donate time to trails I actually want to ride. When is that going to start? (serious ?)
    I don't know. Which trail do you ACTUALLY want to ride? Serious?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Not *****ing by any stretch...

I know it's not always possible but if you can get me/us some more notice we are generally more likely to be able to attend.

If I have enough notice (like 2 weeks) I can likely wrangle my son's boy scout troop to help.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Hi I am trying to confirm this is a real event. I have roughly 5-10 of us that WILL be there if it is happening. What should we bring? our tools? similar to the boulder flood volunteers? I am really excited to get our trails back up.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnme View Post
    Hi I am trying to confirm this is a real event. I have roughly 5-10 of us that WILL be there if it is happening. What should we bring? our tools? similar to the boulder flood volunteers? I am really excited to get our trails back up.
    It is certainly real. Its going to be working with a trail crew from the city of Boulder. John Perry, former director of the Boulder Mountain Bike Patrol, gets these crews together often on Thursday nights to do small trail work days. He coordinates the efforts with the city, I'm just helping him get the word out as our normal crew size is 8 - 10 people and this obviously needs a much larger turnout.

RSVP to him at perrycolorado at gmail dot com.

Meet up at the Greenbelt Plateau at 9am. The city will provide tools and direction. You'll want work gloves, closed toed shoes, work clothes, etc.

Thanks for your help, we have a lot of work to do.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    I don't have an answer for that, especially since you don't even list which trails you deem worthy of your time.

What I know is there is a chance to volunteer to get a trail open that will then allow trail crews to start work on other trails and we need people to help with the huge effort of trail cleanup after the floods.

Given the hundreds of people that I see riding these trails every weekend, I gotta think there are some people on here that have interest in these trails.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt Disney's Frozen Head View Post
    Not *****ing by any stretch...

I know it's not always possible but if you can get me/us some more notice we are generally more likely to be able to attend.

If I have enough notice (like 2 weeks) I can likely wrangle my son's boy scout troop to help.
    Understood, this just came to my attention yesterday. I think the city is still in a very reactive mode and just barely coming out of the "where are we now?" assessment phase.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub View Post
    I don't have an answer for that, especially since you don't even list which trails you deem worthy of your time.

What I know is there is a chance to volunteer to get a trail open that will then allow trail crews to start work on other trails and we need people to help with the huge effort of trail cleanup after the floods.

Given the hundreds of people that I see riding these trails every weekend, I gotta think there are some people on here that have interest in these trails.
    Lots of choices that are actually more than just a dirt path. Hall, Heil, Walker, even Betasso has some stuff you can actually jump around on. I'll be more than willing to help out on trails that I can actually play around on. The drive to Golden is a long one right now.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Lots of choices that are actually more than just a dirt path. Hall, Heil, Walker, even Betasso has some stuff you can actually jump around on. I'll be more than willing to help out on trails that I can actually play around on. The drive to Golden is a long one right now.
    The trails you all listed are Boulder County, where as this trail is Boulder City and a completely separate organization.

I'm expecting we'll get the chance to help Boulder County out with some volunteer days soon, so I'll post those up here as soon as I hear about them.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Update - It appears that we have hit the magic number to make this a go. Thanks for all of you who signed up, there are lots more volunteer opportunities upcoming.

I'll see you at the trailhead at 9am.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub View Post
    Update - It appears that we have hit the magic number to make this a go. Thanks for all of you who signed up, there are lots more volunteer opportunities upcoming.

I'll see you at the trailhead at 9am.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Now older but less slow!
    You do realize don't you that none of those trail systems are even accessible right now?

I can perfectly see the priority here. This trail system is used by LOTS and LOTS of people. It's probably the busiest bikeable system in Boulder County. It is also very accessible and fixing High Plains over Coal Creek will open up the entire Dirty Bismarck loop as well as making another trail head usable when three other trail heads in the system (Doudy, Marshall and Flatirons) are still closed.

I'm sure we all want Betasso, Heil, Hall and Walker to open soon but it's just not going to happen. There are bigger logistic issues first... So help where you can. Lets get as much trail network open even though it may not be your "cup of tea".

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    wow. i probably shouldn't be, but i'm actually stunned at the attitude in regards to volunteering for trial work deemed not worthy enough. clearly Boulder County is still trying to deal with major infrastructure. I imagine trying to determine what bike trails to fix is on the low priority list. How about just donating a couple hours to the mtb community at-large instead of being a douche?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    The problem is, he doesn't think he's a douche. He's a me firsty.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    There is some other volunteer work going on around the city tomorrow morning as well. My wife and I will be at Scott carpenter at 9 am to begin, should last until 1. I believe she signed us up on the united way website. As of last night they were still in need of 25 volunteers, so check it out if you have time.

mtbr member
    Keep posting these trail days. I have to work 12 hours on Sat, but I can usually do stuff every other weekend.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    There are more work days being planned right now. I've already been told there will be a huge undertaking to get Dowdy Draw back to operational, evidently it has a large slide on it now.

I was told there will be some input / consideration on rerouting and rebuilding some of these trails. So if you want to help shape the construction show up and discuss the trail users wants and needs with the city workers.

From the organizer:
    "When I get details I will post up. Here is the official word for tomorrow:
    WHAT: High Plains Trail work!
    WHEN: Saturday 9/28/2013 9am to 1pm
    WHERE: Green Belt Plateau TH off HWY 93. See this link for map/details: Greenbelt Plateau Trail | Boulder Mountainbike Alliance

OTHER: Bring work gloves if you have them (City has some to loan also), sturdy shoes/boots, pants are recommended and food/water/sunscreen for the 4 hours we will be working. A nice hat is always good too! Everyone will be hiking into the site from the TH after you meet up with Frances Bouling from the City Trails Crew to check in and sign waivers. Tools are provided and so is instruction on how to repair/build and work safely. We will divide up into trail crews out of the 30 plus volunteers attending to focus on specific areas. Rough goal is to repair 2000 feet of trail that has a rut developed at almost 2 feet deep in places. Some trail rerouting may also be necessary.

Look forward to meeting everyone tomorrow. We are totally full with this project but if you have others interested, there are plenty more projects coming in the next few weeks and of course, beyond that in areas like Cowdry and Dowdy draw. Stay tuned. Thanks again, John "

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Wow, sounds like some of you guys have too much free time on your hands. I'd like to use some of my limited time to volunteer to open trails that I use, rather than trails I never bat an eye at. Those trails can be maintaned by their users. I don't have time to volunteer for everything so you two can **** off.

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    That's the most selfish, entitled crap I've seen posted in a while. Wow.

-Walt
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Its also about helping maintain trails so that they are not closed too us. Every year the motorcycle riders get together with the Boulder ranger district to clean up the mess made by the gun guys at left hand canyon. We do this to help out the ranger district and get some good will. We don't drag dryers, tvs, or couches up there on our motorcycles to shoot at.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast