Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Ginny? HorseTooth?

2K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  mtn.skratch 
#1 ·
hi all,

has anyone been up north? i heard ginny was ridable a week ago...

thanks..
P"

#2 ·
Went up Towers Road (HTMP) and down Spring Creek yesterday. It is on and off. Some south facing sections can be ridden easily - just a white dusting. But on any section in the trees or facing east or north the snow will likely be too deep to ride.

We got up the road to Spring Creek ok. But down spring Creek we hit a number of hiking sections.

#5 ·
It's not the power line road, it's the section of the valley loop from the parking lot to the start of Ginny. That section of trail has a couple spots that are basically giant ice cubes. Once you hit Ginny...it is a nice ride, only small sections of snow, but mostly open dirt all the way to the small bridge. The small bridge area has some snow because of the shade...that is where we turned around that day so no clue what lies closer to Mahonney. I would assume that the power line road is a mess; I don't think I would even try that right now.

We rode last Sunday, so things may be a little different now...depending on the snow total there. Loveland had a a trace of snow, which wouldn't effect the conditions from earlier in the week...but Masonville may be a different story; I haven't heard anything from up that way.

Enjoy the ride if you go up that way. :thumbsup:

#6 ·
Phil Winn said:
hey kabla,

thanks for the reply.. have you guys received any snow in the last week? i heard ginny was good minus the double track fire road leading up to it... which is icey.

ps.. do you ride a SC Bullit?

P"
Phil, sorry didn't see this in time. No, no SC Bulit. I am riding a blue SC Heckler.

If you did come to ride Ginny, please post. We only got a light dusting this week. If anything might make the conditions worse right now, it is the thaw.

#7 ·
I really should have posted earlier; oops.

Ginny was a mess yesterday. We were on before 10am and it was already soupy, and so much worse than last weekend. We ran into a ranger and I thought to myself, I wouldn't be surprised if she closed it down when she got back to the truck.

The "light dusting" we got up here this week translated to a LOT of sections of 5-15 foot long soup, with some of it being downright mud. It was pretty much consistant all the way to the top. There was still a fair amount of snow on the tread so I don't see it being any better today. However, I am sure someone probably tried it today, so I would like to hear what they have to say.

ps; being off by 9 might make it feasible.

#10 ·
Kaba Klaus said:
Phil, sorry didn't see this in time. No, no SC Bulit. I am riding a blue SC Heckler.

If you did come to ride Ginny, please post. We only got a light dusting this week. If anything might make the conditions worse right now, it is the thaw.
hi kabla,

we didn't come up and ride, just stayed in Denver. you're the guy i was thinking of.. i thought it was a bullit but it' was a heckler.

you used to ride a beast of a trail bike (it was red i think). i'm the asian kid on the specialied SL.

P"

#11 ·
Phil Winn said:
hi kabla,

we didn't come up and ride, just stayed in Denver. you're the guy i was thinking of.. i thought it was a bullit but it' was a heckler.

you used to ride a beast of a trail bike (it was red i think). i'm the asian kid on the specialied SL.

P"
Phil....

You're butchering Kaba's (you spelled Kabla) name! I'm sure you don't have ANY experience with butchered pronunciation ;)

#13 · (Edited)
Phil Winn said:
what's up IE..?

butchered? i think not.. Kaba Klaus = "Kabla" .. just made it more efficient.. :)

P"
Not much Phu--iilllll! lets get out and ride! I've been riding my DJ/4x/DS bike... watch out this year, I may actually make it down the mountain and FINISH a race! Hell, starting one would help! Haa haa haa

Did you see Moody's new ride? blingy.

#15 ·
Phu,

Man what are you doin to that poor Iron Horse! Hurry up and get that DH rig built so we can pin some runs. Trails are great up the hill..we missed ya last Sunday.

IE thanks for the comment on the new frame. It rides better than it looks too!:thumbsup:

J

#16 ·
And now back to our regularly scheduled programming... ;)

Today from 11:15 until 12:30, from the upper HTMP lot, rode up Southridge to Soderburg down Springcreek down Stout. Turned around just a few minutes from the intersection with Tower Road.

Southridge - mostly dry with some packed snow/crusty ice sections. A few short sections of mud are starting to appear, but not a ride killer. I walked one short muddy section of Southridge due to mud.
Soderburg - Mix of dry/ice/snow with a little mud by the wood stairs. I walked two short sections of Soderburg due to either muddy or icy conditions.
Springcreek down toward Stout - Amazing conditions. Almost all dry.
Stout - Dry until you get to some of the north/east facing trails in the washes, but almost all ridable. I started hitting some thin mud as I got closer to Tower Road and decided to turn around.

I think conditions will get worse (especially on Stout and sections of Southridge) as we get more melting, but it's a good morning or early afternoon ride right now.

#17 ·
jrok said:
Phu,

Man what are you doin to that poor Iron Horse! Hurry up and get that DH rig built so we can pin some runs. Trails are great up the hill..we missed ya last Sunday.

IE thanks for the comment on the new frame. It rides better than it looks too!:thumbsup:

J
Darn it! Jason and Taylor.. you guys outed my real life personna on the web..! i really enjoy anonymity.. it allows me to be the biggest D-bag without recourse.. dang you guys to heck! see.? i can't even curse properly anymore..

the iron donkey is getting a new look and she needs serious loving. will be there this weekend with you guys for sure.. and yes.. i heard the trails are running off the hook!

hey "KABA" .. downhiller ay..? didn't I see you at Sol Vista a few times last year ..enjoying yourself immensely..? :)

P"

#18 ·
Phil Winn said:
Darn it! Jason and Taylor.. you guys outed my real life personna on the web..! i really enjoy anonymity.. it allows me to be the biggest D-bag without recourse.. dang you guys to heck! see.? i can't even curse properly anymore..

the iron donkey is getting a new look and she needs serious loving. will be there this weekend with you guys for sure.. and yes.. i heard the trails are running off the hook!

hey "KABA" .. downhiller ay..? didn't I see you at Sol Vista a few times last year ..enjoying yourself immensely..? :)

P"
Great... now you're ousting us!!! LOL. My alter-ego as a Forum-useless-arguing-whore with an agenda is blown! ARGH! :madman:

I can ride Sunday, but not Saturday.

#19 ·
jradin said:
And now back to our regularly scheduled programming... ;)

Today from 11:15 until 12:30, from the upper HTMP lot, rode up Southridge to Soderburg down Springcreek down Stout. Turned around just a few minutes from the intersection with Tower Road.

Southridge - mostly dry with some packed snow/crusty ice sections. A few short sections of mud are starting to appear, but not a ride killer. I walked one short muddy section of Southridge due to mud.
Soderburg - Mix of dry/ice/snow with a little mud by the wood stairs. I walked two short sections of Soderburg due to either muddy or icy conditions.
Springcreek down toward Stout - Amazing conditions. Almost all dry.
Stout - Dry until you get to some of the north/east facing trails in the washes, but almost all ridable. I started hitting some thin mud as I got closer to Tower Road and decided to turn around.

I think conditions will get worse (especially on Stout and sections of Southridge) as we get more melting, but it's a good morning or early afternoon ride right now.
Thanks for the report, J. I have not ridden off road in over a month. Looking forward to dry trails.

#22 ·
was there today, went up fire road on the south side of the park to Wathan. Fire road had a short muddy section before where it steepens again approaching Audra. Wathan had some last remaining snow at the top and some mud and wet spots in the upper chunky stuff. the lower part of Wathan was perfect. I had two spots in mind I thought would be muddy on lower Wathan and they were bone dry. the very end, right before SC intersection has the last bit of snow into the large puddle.

The parts of Towers i saw were perfect, as was Carey Springs, minus 3-4 short muddy sections.

Nomad from what i saw was good to go, and Stout North of Towers was surprisingly dry.

First time there this year, but tons of tracks and saw lots of other mtb'rs up there today.

I would say it is around 90% dry. More snow than I expected, less mud, great first horsetooth ride of the year!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.