mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Ghost story on School Bus trail

Rode school bus trail last night...
    it was teh awesomeness

about half way down there is a bike mounted to a tree, all Blair witch like..
    freaked the faque out of us... then we noticed how broken the frame was.. bummer for said breaker of frame, that walk out must of sucked...

anyone know the back story? or shall we just make up a good ghost story?

Here is your inspiration..
    Ghost story on School Bus trail-1017387_10201421941048673_1421449500_n.jpg

The 5th knuckle
    It was SASQUATCH! Had to be. Pissed off someone saw him and body slammed the rider from behind the tree. The impact was so hard it broke the frame. He shot put the body about 40 yards off the trail and hung the bike to keep others away from his little love nest. Nothing like seeing some Sasquatch loving, hard to un-see and will ruin you for life. I'm still traumatized from when I caught an eye full in the raw wilderness. The screams. The log throwing. The way he pinned her up the tree. Vicious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernando Gutierrez
    The only thing you have to figure out is don't fall down. To keep riding the bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jaycastlerock View Post
    It was SASQUATCH!
    HAHAH!!!! even better!

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    What time were you on the Bus? because I rode up/down it last night (from maybe 6:15-8:00) and didn't see the bike you mention. Where exactly was it (as best as can be described)?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    You unlock this door with the key of imagination. Beyond it is another dimension: a dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind. You're moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas; you've just crossed over into the Twilight Zone.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    You unlock this door with the key of imagination. Beyond it is another dimension: a dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind. You're moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas; you've just crossed over into the Twilight Zone.
    HAHAH! dude... totally

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    We rolled out of the Rollinsville TH at 7 and were at the top of Bus by about 9pm.

The Bike was hung about 3ft up a tree about 8-10yds off the downhill side of the trail.
    The reflector in the in back wheel caught my eye.
    It is a black Raleigh (department store type) full suspension bike.. The right side chain stay looked like it busted.

It is located along one of the long switchbacks 1 mile up from the bus. as I said above, it is about 8-10yds off the downhill side of the trail.

we creeped ourselves out pretty good looking at it...

The Blair Mountain biker project...

Kaj
    mtbr member
    That's probably the black Jamis I saw about 1/2 way down. I think it happened around Tuesday last week 7/9, based on my rides. It was on the side of the trail, chainstay cracked, braked levers f-d up. Looks like someone decided they had their last wreck on it and walked and/or were carried out.
    Helping folks shred in Boulder & Colorado since 1982 www.fullcyclebikes.com

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    Huh, I wonder if it was easier to see because you rode at night and your lights caught the reflectors? Did not see that at all.

mtbr member
    I saw the Black Jamis up there on Tuesday night. I didn't realize the chainstay was cracked. I just saw the broken brake levers. We didn't stop to check it out though.

GL1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Ghost story on School Bus trail

We were up there a few weeks ago, went all over the spaghetti mess of moto trails up past Bus and came out at night. Adventurous.

Didn't see the Raleigh but we did find the trashed out and now abandoned hippie camp just off the Bus trail. They were squatting up there for awhile and we couldn't figure out why the dug that huge and quite deep hole/shaft. The whole area has a long history of that though starting with the STP Gang in the 60's. Plenty of stories there...google it.
    My most brilliant achievement was my ability to pursuade my wife to marry me. - Churchill

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    so, i'm the owner of the mystery bike. i'm new to mtn biking this year and had bought the jamis off of craigslist as an intro bike to see if i would get into the sport. i had about $600 into it, and had recently put the new peddles and back tire on it. while i had some very enjoyable rides on it in Durango, Telluride, Crested Butte, and Boulder, the bike was pretty much always a problem. after getting up towards the top of Mag/School Bus we started making our descent. immediately my gears for some unknown reason locked into the hardest setting. after messing with it, nobody could get it fixed but thankfully, we had lots of downhill to go. after about 1 min of riding my pedal hits a tree, rather lightly, and it snaps my chainstay. bike was officially broke. i was with two other riders and the suggestion was for me to push the bike down. as i proceeded to do so, my temper took over and i started ghost riding it down. finally, i snapped it's neck, destroying the brakes. after picking it up and throwing it, i decided to leave it there, as the 5 miles to get back to the car seemed like a lot to haul out a destroyed useless bike. so from there, it seems the bike was put in a tree and has now become somewhat of a legend.

i just want to clarify, in hindsight, i wish i would have carried it out. i feel terrible i left "trash" up in a beautiful area. i was borderline psychotic i was so mad, so i wasn't thinking straight. i've heard someone has taken the bike out. if i can buy that person a 6 pack for the effort, i will.

anyway, it was funny, because i met the OP of this thread on Saturday after some trail building in Erie. pretty wild we end up sitting and eating lunch together and learning the truth behind the ghost bike.

now i have a new Salsa Horsethief and look forward to getting back up Magnolia and making up for the last time. it sucked hard, but it's a good story i guess.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    blair-why don't you do us all a favor and go fix your mistake-carry out your trash.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Or help carry out the other trash that is up there when the time comes for a clean-up day.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    @unc-76 - if you read my post and didn't immediately jump at the chance to put me in my place, you'd see that i'm under the belief that the bike had already been taken out. i'll gladly run up there and get it if that's not the case. otherwise, if i see trash, i generally pick it up and will gladly take up @skor on his suggestion.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I thought it was a great story. Don't listen to the haters on here.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    thx @brokefork.

and not to dismiss UNC or others who may be annoyed. i completely understand and respect that there are people who have a lot invested into the W. Mag area and don't need some noob leaving behind a broken bike. i get that. it was in the moment and i didn't know what to do. i was mad as hell. i could have gone back that weekend and hiked in and got the bike, i didn't. that's on me as well. feel shitty about it and will make up for it when given the opportunity, such as @skor's advice. if the bike is in fact up there, i'll get it after Labor Day weekend. anyway, i'm out. see you on the trails.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I actually kinda liked the bike hanging there, and was thinking of taking a drill and some long screws and making it a bit more permanent. But here are a few pictures that we really should be *****en about, illegal campsite/trash dump. Stay tuned for cleanup info...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ghost story on School Bus trail-westmagtrash1.jpg  

Ghost story on School Bus trail-westmagtrash2.jpg  

..ouch
    I'm with skogorbet.. WM has plenty of trash issues this year much worse than a hanging bike with a story. Drainbows have perma-camped the whole area. Several spots look like someone took a meth addict's mobile home and emptied into the forest. Worst I've ever seen it by far.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by brokefork View Post
    I thought it was a great story. Don't listen to the haters on here.
    Truth!
    Good times on Saturday. The town of Erie is going have teh awesome trailz.
    Count me in for a cleanup day...

Regarding the Blair Witch Bike...
    This came to mind...

Maybe the ghosts of West Mag's mining past are riding the bike through the forest?

friend of Apex
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs