mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Getting out while the turkey was a'roasting

Plenty of hikers, didn't see one bike. I went up the back way to Eldorado Canyon, over to across from the climbing wall. Lots of traffic down in the town of Eldorado Springs. As usual, there were climbers climbing on the wall, scrambling down steep trails (not steep to them). I came across a ton of people, local, just arrived, everyone enjoying this gorgeous day.

There are telescopes there to check out the climbers. What seems normal to them is unthinkable to me (being afraid of heights and all) but I enjoy watching them do what they do.

On the way back, suddenly there was a flurry of gunfire. From where? I guessed from over there but I couldn't see anyone and, of course, didn't have my telephoto with me to at least get their pic clearly. BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM, automatic rifle-style. Maybe a hundred shots in total, in spurts. What direction were they shooting at? How far were they away? I didn't like the idea of a stray bullet coming my way, others weren't as concerned but I was.

I got down within 100 yards of my car and a bullet ricocheted off a rock about 10 feet away. PING! Azzholes, where the F are they and why are they shooting in this direction.
    I'm not anti-gun, I'm a pretty accurate shot, but this wasn't right.

Anyway, when I got back to my computer I could see where they had been shooting from. Glad I didn't get back to my roasted turkey with a gunshot wound. Or any of the other folks out in that area.

So for that---I GIVE EXTRA THANKS ON THIS THANKSGIVING DAY!
    Last edited by xcguy; 12-02-2012 at 10:00 AM.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

lucky enough
    They weren't hunting turkeys for dinner?
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cocavaak View Post
    They weren't hunting turkeys for dinner?
    If they were they sure were poor shots. The problem was, you can see where the shooter is pointing--the last mile of my hike criss-crossed directly across from them. There was no hiding from their errant gunfire. And they just kept shooting their automatic weapon, whatever it was.

At first I thought maybe somebody was shooting up the Ashram that's nearby. A Thanksgiving Hail of Bullets type of celebration.

Speaking of turkeys, there is a large resident herd on Spring Brook but I've never seen them.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    why do you continue to post here when you don't mountain bike?

seems weird...