mtbr member
    Apr 2004

New question here. Getting old... SS gear ratio question

I've been running 2:1 (26") mainly for years, I'm getting old, fat and out of shape and need something easier to run (push). Could someone please point me to a thread (searched but couldn't find it) or give me an idea of what others are riding. It would be much appreciated.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

friend of Apex
    get some wagon wheels, thats what most of the old fat folk I know ride
    and it really helps with an SS
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I've been looking for a new rig ironically enough but I'd like to stick to a 26" HT. There ain't much out there and now it's creeping into my mind to look at 29ers... GDMF bike industry!!
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

friend of Apex
    You should stop by Redstone and take that Reeb belt drive for a spin.
    So easy to pedal, you wont need easier gears
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Quote Originally Posted by jugdish View Post
    I've been looking for a new rig ironically enough but I'd like to stick to a 26" HT. There ain't much out there and now it's creeping into my mind to look at 29ers... GDMF bike industry!!
    Seriously, I can't imagine riding a 26" SS. Any reason why you're looking to stay with the smaller wheels?

If you're getting a new bike, definitely get a 29er. They roll better, and it's what all the cool kids are riding... No wait, all the cool kids are riding 27.5" these days... No wait, all the cool kids are riding fat bikes these days... No wait...

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    The most common ss ratio along the front range IMO converted to 26 is 32x18. You might want to consider 32x19 or even 32x20

32x20 is going to be super spinny though.

The only time i run 32x20 would be kenosha to breck or the CT from copper over to leadville.

Really annoying on the downhills and even more frustrating on flats. But if the ride is straight up and then straight down who cares.

Where do you normally ride?
    I think the trails you are riding really dictates gearing and how easy you want it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    just get some gears..duh...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I've been running 2:1 (26") mainly for years, I'm getting old, fat and out of shape and need something easier to run (push). Could someone please point me to a thread (searched but couldn't find it) or give me an idea of what others are riding. It would be much appreciated.
    Um....gears? Just a thought.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    What if all his socks say "26er"? Guy's gotta buy new wheels AND new socks?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrock450 View Post
    The most common ss ratio along the front range IMO converted to 26 is 32x18. You might want to consider 32x19 or even 32x20

32x20 is going to be super spinny though.

The only time i run 32x20 would be kenosha to breck or the CT from copper over to leadville.

Really annoying on the downhills and even more frustrating on flats. But if the ride is straight up and then straight down who cares.

Where do you normally ride?
    I think the trails you are riding really dictates gearing and how easy you want it.
    I ride the usual suspects on the FR and have other bikes for bigger rides. I think 32x18 is probably what I'll go with. I can still ride alright on the 2:1 but just want something a bit easier. I also have a couple SS so I'll try 32x18 on one, keep one 2:1 and see how it goes.

As far as the 29ers, I'm only 5'6", bunny hop alot, like the flickability of my bikes and honestly don't want to have one bike that allegedly* rides that much better than the others. Besides, I'm looking (kinda, saving cash) for a geared 26" HT cause that's how I roll and don't want to have to buy new socks.

GD bikes are expensive these days!

Appreciate the replies...
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR View Post
    You should stop by Redstone and take that Reeb belt drive for a spin.
    So easy to pedal, you wont need easier gears
    Yeah, I've been in and seen that... drool.

One word comes to mind if I came home w/ that bike after dropping that coin, I'm talkin' about the big D and I don't mean Dallas.
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

Team Velveeta™
    ... if I came home w/ that bike after dropping that coin, I'm talkin' about the big D and I don't mean Dallas.
    Back in like 2005 or 2006 I was talking to my friends at the bike shop where I worked and said "my next bike comes with divorce papers."

Guess what? I haven't been married since it was all final in 2007.

I kind of miss being married sometimes, but damn have I had some nice bikes since then...
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    I had some nice bikes since then...
    I believe it. I'm not complaining though. Awesome wife, family and bikes enough to ride.
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

4.0" fully suspended
    Nov 2006
    Found a thread, not exactly what you are looking for but no new socks required. I'm getting old too. Thinking of this:
    Altitudes Arriving in Shops!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Nice bike. I've got a boingy-boingy also. Just need an easier SS gearing. I'd still need new socks anyway!
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...