Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2011

georgia pass from breck

cant find much info, would like to do otb from breck to georgia pass via colorado trail. is this preferred way to get up there or tiger rd? how does ct trail climb compare to the one from kenosha side?

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    More technical in places and probably some pushing from the Swan (Breck) side. The South Fork of the Swan Jeep Rd is very steep, loose and rocky and only super strong climbers on bikes that climb well will avoid a lot of pushing, but, it's certainly more direct than the CT

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    zrm nailed the description.

Just road this yesterday. Parked at the parking lot on Tiger Rd where there is tarmac. Up the South Fork of Swan jeep road, 355 to Georgia Pass and it was very steep, loose and rocky in multiple sections resulting in hike a bike. First section of the CT was tight, fast and flowy...lots of fun and worth it. Down the trail it turned into very technical and rocky.

Would I ride it again...yes.

mtbr member
    Have you considered the Guyot Loop? Get a great loop out of the ride instead of an out and back and finish with the CT from Georgia back to Tiger Run.

mtbr member
    i am interested in ride breck side of ct from georgia pass too. have any more info on this guyot loop?
    HuRa
    architecture and interior design
    website facebook

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brankulo View Post
    i am interested in ride breck side of ct from georgia pass too. have any more info on this guyot loop?
    Basic route from Tiger Run is take the bike path towards Breck and head up French Gulch road which turns to dirt road and eventually single track up over French Pass. Down the single track on the other side of French Pass. Eventually you will hit a dirt road go left this will take you to Georgia Pass. From there the CT back to Tiger Run.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/40010373

There are many other routes that will maximize single track to get into French via the Gold Run area.....many different flumes through this area. Not sure how familiar you are with the trail system in Breckenridge as giving directions in this area can be a bit confusing.

Here is another gps track of a route we did last year from our camp site near the Colorado trail at the start of the West Ridge climb.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/202099435

And some pictures from the blog.....
    Front Range MTB: Couple Weeks

Front Range MTB: Breckenridge Camping & Guyot

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by steadyflow View Post
    Basic route from Tiger Run is take the bike path towards Breck and head up French Gulch road which turns to dirt road and eventually single track up over French Pass. Down the single track on the other side of French Pass. Eventually you will hit a dirt road go left this will take you to Georgia Pass. From there the CT back to Tiger Run.
    Be advised - this is a pretty monstrous ride. And could get you in trouble with your wife/girlfriend if you underestimate the amount of time it will take.

ride
    From Tiger Rd, go South up Georgia Gulch - it's an up and over that'll drop you off into French Gulch, 1000' climb. Or from the top of GA Gulch, you could catch the flume ST that the Firecracker and Breck 100 use and drop into Little French.

edit - this would be to get to French Gulch for the Guyot loop from Tiger Rd...
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr View Post
    From Tiger Rd, go South up Georgia Gulch - it's an up and over that'll drop you off into French Gulch, 1000' climb. Or from the top of GA Gulch, you could catch the flume ST that the Firecracker and Breck 100 use and drop into Little French.

edit - this would be to get to French Gulch for the Guyot loop from Tiger Rd...
    I do it this way often when I do the Guyot loop but a lot of people consider the Georgia Gulch climb a soul crusher. It's a mean one for sure. All the meaner because it's 100% rideable and there's no excuse to push except lack of legs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by steadyflow View Post

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/40010373

There are many other routes that will maximize single track to get into French via the Gold Run area.....many different flumes through this area. Not sure how familiar you are with the trail system in Breckenridge as giving directions in this area can be a bit confusing.

Here is another gps track of a route we did last year from our camp site near the Colorado trail at the start of the West Ridge climb.

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/202099435

And some pictures from the blog.....
    Front Range MTB: Couple Weeks

Front Range MTB: Breckenridge Camping & Guyot
    Nice pics and some great info for some big rides.

jl
    climb
    This is a great ride, but you'll end up walking toward the top--because the terrain is too loose and rocky, or your legs can't turn the crank any more, or you've run out of oxygen, but probably because of all three.

Coming back to Breckenridge you'll have to stop a few time to give your smile muscles a rest.

Where's Georgia?
    Ride On!

Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cavo View Post
    cant find much info, would like to do otb from breck to georgia pass via colorado trail. is this preferred way to get up there or tiger rd? how does ct trail climb compare to the one from kenosha side?
    Personally I would just get on the trail at Gold Run and take that all the way. The trail is a lot longer but it also twists around a lot to avoid going straight up, unlike the road. The final climb on singletrack up to Georgia Pass is hard, but cool. I can't classify the road as cool. On the way down you can take any number of bail-out options.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    not going to have whole lot of time so i guess i will climb tiger rd and south swan as it seems to be most direct route

jl
    climb
    I would drive in tiger road to the spot that the CT trail crosses the road. Park off the road and just ride the CT as far as time will allow and then head back. Some pushing up top, but will be a better overall ride than doing the south swan road loop.

More or less what RH was saying, but you could save some time by driving to the intersection and not biking in from Gold Hill, or riding that lower section of the CT from Gold Hill (with a pretty big climb).

not going to have whole lot of time so i guess i will climb tiger rd and south swan as it seems to be most direct route
    Ride On!

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    I'd disagree with the "climb the singletrack" advice. If you're short on time go the jeep road route. You do *not* want to miss the descent from GA Pass to Middle Fork. Best part of that whole ride, IMO...

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    here is the deal. i am going to have 4 hours +/- for riding itself. as much as i prefer single track, i really would like to ride all the way to georgia. so if it means i have to take jeep road i will. i made kenosha side way under 4 hours if that helps with advices.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    here is the deal. i am going to have 4 hours +/- for riding itself. as much as i prefer single track, i really would like to ride all the way to georgia. so if it means i have to take jeep road i will. i made kenosha side way under 4 hours if that helps with advices.
    The jeep road is a straight shot to the pass. You could very likely do the whole loop from Gold Hill -> GA Pass -> CT all the way back to Gold Hill in 4 hours +/-

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    thanks everyone. did the ride yesterday. what a great section of ct. went tiger road route to the pass and back via ct. i would not definitely make it on time doing out and back on ct. ct portion ended up taking me longer than i expected. now another trip to breckenridge coming soon and i am looking to take ct west from gold hill this time, over range to copper and back via bike path. again will have roughly 4 hours. doable? i read about lots of hab. so not sure.

Apr 2012
    thanks everyone. did the ride yesterday. what a great section of ct. went tiger road route to the pass and back via ct. i would not definitely make it on time doing out and back on ct. ct portion ended up taking me longer than i expected. now another trip to breckenridge coming soon and i am looking to take ct west from gold hill this time, over range to copper and back via bike path. again will have roughly 4 hours. doable? i read about lots of hab. so not sure.
    That's an even more serious ride, lots of pushing on the way up, then when you get up there the trail is pretty tricky all the way to the bike path. Really beautiful though. Amazing. You will probably need more than 4 hours.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    thats what i heard. will see if i would be able to negotiate more time . now does the opposite direction make it any easier? (less hab maybe). say i start in frisco, take path to copper, up ct over the ridge to gold hill and back to frisco.

Apr 2012
    thats what i heard. will see if i would be able to negotiate more time . now does the opposite direction make it any easier? (less hab maybe). say i start in frisco, take path to copper, up ct over the ridge to gold hill and back to frisco.
    I've never done it that direction so I can't say for sure, but I doubt it would be much easier. The Wheeler Trail between the top of the ridge and Copper is rough, steep and loose. Seems like there would be plenty of pushing but ? YOu can also get up on the ridge from the Breck side via Peak 9 Road/Wheeler Trail.

mtbr member
    i have done peak 9 to wheeler pass to copper. on the descent i was caught in storm, huge but i mean huge amounts of water were coming down. i was bombing down, and i dont really remember how the trail was. was one of the greatest descends however
    HuRa
    architecture and interior design
    website facebook

jl
    climb
    now another trip to breckenridge coming soon and i am looking to take ct west from gold hill this time, over range to copper and back via bike path. again will have roughly 4 hours. doable? i read about lots of hab. so not sure.
    Miner's? Wheeler's? 4 hours maybe, if you can hike your bike like a mountain goat.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I did Segment 7 two weekends ago. I recommend starting in Frisco (or Copper) and doing Wheelers > Miners > Gold Hill. Better, longer downhill. I would imagine less and easier HaB this way as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    klucks, how long did it take you? any strava on this?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast