mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Georgia Pass area trail conditions

Curious to find out if the CT up to Georgia Pass is anywhere near clear of snow. I know it stays kind of snowy just below timberline but wondering how it is this year. Wife is hiking from Waterton to Breck starting next week and asked me to see what I can find out on the forum about that stretch. Thanks for any info!
    WTF

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Paddler??

I can't provide any info about the trail, just curious if you're a paddler as well?

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Haven't been myself, but I'd be surprised if there isn't a lot of snow above 11,000' right now. If the sun will stay out a good chunk of that will be gone by the time she gets there though.

I dream on two wheels
    I was there the weekend before Memorial day weekend and I hit snow right at the turn off from the Jefferson trail, about 6 miles in from the parking lot on 285. I didn't go too much further after the first couple drifts. Up till then it was perfect.

-Simon
    Whiskey

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Yes crow... I paddle too and ran the Poudre today. Lots of fun and a great water level.
    WTF

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'm hoping to ride Kenosha Pass to Breck this weekend, am I crazy?

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    I'd vote crazy. The descent off GA Pass has GOT to be solid snow right now...

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Lot's of the trail on the Summit Co side is on N aspect.Even in a lean snow year with a warm sunny spring it would be iffy this time of year and this year has been neither. I'd give you about 95% odds that it's impassable on the Summit side. you proably can ride up from Kenosha quite a ways. That area is more S'ly aspect and doesn't get or hold as much snow as the Summit side.

mtbr member

Riding in Snow

I was in Salida yesterday (Tuesday) and thought I'd check out the Monarch Crest Trail. Lots of fairly small snowdrifts from Monarch Pass up to the Continental Divide Trail. It's great for hiking right now, but won't be really ridable for another three weeks or so. From what I saw coming over Kenosha Pass back to Denver, the same conditions probably apply on Georgia Pass. Better wait 'til July to try riding there.