mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Georgetown Bike Park Survey

Fellow mountain bikers,

As part of a grad school class we are doing a survey on how popular a purpose built mountain bike park might be at the Georgetown Loop Railroad®. The park would consist of both XC and shuttle-able DH specific terrain. You can ride the train up, enjoy the scenery, drinks and snacks on the way, and ride your bike back down! We envision a family friendly atmosphere, where folks can enjoy tours of the historic Lebanon Silver Mine, nature photography, shopping at the gift shops, hiking the popular Notch Trail, fishing in Clear Creek and of course riding the Georgetown Loop Railroad®.

It would be greatly appreciated if as many people as possible could complete our quick, 2 minute survey. Works great on mobile phones!

Survey link: Georgetown Loop Bike Park Market Feasibility Study Survey

Thanks for all of your help!
    Last edited by wyantn; 05-16-2013 at 10:15 AM.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    This would be pretty cool...

Link's broken...

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Done... although, I don't think question #4 will provide you enough resolution. an "All of the above" option would have been appreciated.

Best Wishes and Good luck

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    The link is now fixed. Thanks for all the help!

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    I replied that I "would pay", but they better be some great DH trails, considering Key and WP are only 30 min away. Good luck with the project. Cool idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

mtbr member
    Done.
    Does this have the potential of happening or just a mental masturbation Capstone type of thing for academia?
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    This would be awesome to do before and after the resorts closed. I'll drive another 30 minutes for Keystone or Winter Park in the summer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    There actually is potential for this. The survey is to gauge if we went down this path with the land owners that people would actually use it. We didn't want to start in with them on a "build it and they will come" philosophy. Your positive response is actually proving that people would be willing to come up to G-town and ride. Thanks for your response!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wyantn View Post
    There actually is potential for this... Your positive response is actually proving that people would be willing to come up to G-town and ride.
    Sweet!
    Post updates as it progresses please!
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Filled out the survey. I think the train ride thing would get old quick, but I don't mind riding my bike up hill.
    "Never get out of the boat. Unless your goin' all the way."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MulletSlayer View Post
    Filled out the survey. I think the train ride thing would get old quick, but I don't mind riding my bike up hill.
    Until you're on your 3rd lap on a ~40# DH bike w/ 8"+ of super squish, shorty crank arms, a straight stack cassette, and sporting a full DH body armor/kit...
    Has anyone ever seen a cyclist spontaneously combust?
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Your right I didn't even think about that, all I have is an XC bike. I guess it makes sense then.
    "Never get out of the boat. Unless your goin' all the way."

insert sarcasm here
    Quote Originally Posted by DH Dominator View Post
    This would be awesome to do before and after the resorts closed. I'll drive another 30 minutes for Keystone or Winter Park in the summer.
    Ditto this. I think in order for a Front Range downhill park to be successful, its got to be close. I'm willing to give up longer runs for proximity to Denver.
    I'm always looking for new people to ride with. If you are on the Front Range, shoot me a PM and let's go ridin'.

mtbr member
    Well I have a question. What happens to the xc trails in the yard that are not private and rideable now? Will they be still open to ride? Fat trail to Railroad Grade from the top to Notch to secret transfer to trainyard to G-town? And what If I just want to self shuttle the trails and ride the path up the hill to Plume? Or be dropped off at the top?

IMO these trails would have to be badazz to top the stuff around Idaho Springs or no one will pay, and most will expect that they will not be private and open to self shuttle if one does not want to pay for a train ride. Even the known legal rides in Clear Creek County are pretty nice runs, Like Warren G. and the various side runs in the Echo area.

I already went through this 10 years ago. No one wanted to pay. Not even $5 a day. There was the same or better shuttle stuff nearby for free.

So in the summer no one will do it (unless it rivals Keystone, WP or Granby Ranch). In the other 8 months people will expect the best trails ever or they will ride nearby pimp stuff for free. And since snow accumulates in the yard, making the xc run open only if hikers keep it crushed and footprinted out, I dont see how you would have much of a season, considering the train only runs about 2 of those off season months tops.

Sorry to bring up the negatives but IMO they outweigh the positives. You would need to make a full-on park with greens and blues in addition to the blacks, and it would have to rule the area. I dont think the yard has the area or the vert for such a park.

Good luck. Just finding the liability insurance, or adding this to the existing liability insurance, for the train yard/Colorado historical society will be difficult. No state law protection/torts like ski resorts have.

If I was your group I would speak to the people who have been doing this for years in this area:
    Smedley
    Jerry From Mountain and Road Bicycles in IS (he can get u in touch with Smed)
    Big Galoot
    Mojo Wheels- Bob Allen- General Manager (part of initial proposal for Idaho Springs bike park)
    Matt Thompson and his trail building posse (cant remember company name, used to run Sol Vista)
    Vince the trail building ghost man, and his sidekick Big Adam. They were part of the initial proposal to build the Idaho Springs bike park.
    Santiago from A Culture Of Speed bike shop.
    Cindy from City of Idaho Springs- I think she is city clerk. worked on bike park proposal.
    Scott Wilson- Wilson Woods freeride park (part of initial proposal for Idaho Springs bike park)

These are the ppl you need to talk to about this. And not all of them get along because building any mtn bike trail causes friction and in-fighting. Which you need to learn about because if you dont know the history of the area (Idaho Springs bike park fiasco is an example) you will be doomed to repeat the failures.

Good Luck. You will need it. I am down to help but your concept needs a lot of work.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    If it's facing North.....the season will be too short, and will overlap the resorts.

lone rider
    6. Would you pay to ride trails specifically designed for you or your family member’s biking skill level?

No I wouldn't pay to ride the trails I have been ridding for years. Nor would all the locals that hike and jog on the existing trails. Not trying to be negative either but I don’t know if there is enough area for both. The Historical Society owns most of the property. RR company just owns rolling stock. Frank Young said the RR was dedicated to an official established route thought the RR grade. I think the only thing holding it back is a re-route around the cemetery . There has been some vandalism at the cemetery and the town of Silver Plume doesn't people to use the cemetery to access the RR grade.
    I just wouldn't want to see the bike park interfere with the existing trails that’s all.

Some have mentioned that it is time is for a bike park in Clear Creek .