mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Gear for Nederland/Indian Peaks/Eldora Escape

Just curious what SS gear, you guys run or would run out in Nederland, Co.(Indian Peaks)? Just moved to Denver and I'm going to hit the Eldora Escape at the end of August. Thanx for any info.

regarding any ss gearing question, its very dependent on how strong you are and how long you've been ssing. if you run 32/21 in texas or florida, think its difficult, and started singling a month ago...you'll probably walk half the course at eldora (particularly because its over 9000 feet).

on the other hand, i'm sure some guys could push 36/16 and fly through the course.

what do you ride normally, where do you ride, what trails have you done in colorado and how would you rate their difficulty?

pre-ride it in 32/19, perhaps? i haven't done the race, but i know the area.

i think unless you gear really small, there's gonna be some walking/running involved on setting sun. and going that small for just a couple parts of that climb might not be worth it.
    Last edited by nomit; 07-18-2008 at 06:19 PM.

skillz to pay billz
    the climb is longish but not too steep.

Of course I had gears, and got my ass handed to me. First and only race.

do they even have a single class? or are you riding it against the geared folks?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Yeah they have a singlespeed class. 4 laps. 6.5 miles each lap. I have been singlspeeding about 8-9 months. Been riding and or racing either mountain or BMX for along time. Was running 32-16 out in San Diego and SoCal area. Haven't really ridden any trails here yet. Did ride over at Red Rocks but not for long. I ran a 32-18 over there. Of course no problem though. Still getting in tune with the altitude difference here. Only been here about 1.5 weeks.

skillz to pay billz
    they had a SS class

mtbr member
    I just rode reboot> reynolds park> blue dot> magnolia road> west mag> bus route to the mine at 33-19 from happy trails. Very smooth and lotsa fun. 33-2O would likely be perfecto.
    mountainswin

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I've ridden the course a few times and run 32-20. I have to walk up setting sun but so do geared bikes. The rest of the course is fine.

skillz to pay billz
    hummm... I don't remember a hike a bike

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    If you were on a geared bike and it was your first race you were probably not on the expert course, which climbs rising sun toTenessee. Tough climb, only a few of the expert geared riders made it without getting off their bikes. There was only one SS class and they rode the expert course. Maybe that has changed?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    How do you get to some of these trails in that area? I'm looking to go ride tom.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Illegal to ride there, private property. The race gets special permission, you can pre-ride the day before and the race.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Nah, the same SS rides same as Pro and Experts. I was looking for Legal trails in the Nederland area for tom. Not the race course. Just similar terrain.

skillz to pay billz
    well I rode sport and the experts and pros passed me(several times). The beginners had a shorter course.

Quote Originally Posted by skogorbet
    If you were on a geared bike and it was your first race you were probably not on the expert course, which climbs rising sun toTenessee. Tough climb, only a few of the expert geared riders made it without getting off their bikes. There was only one SS class and they rode the expert course. Maybe that has changed?