Thread: gas prices....

Old, stale, negative

gas prices....

Anybody feeling like they might get less rides in this year because of bogus fuel prices? Rides from home will most likely be the chose more often than last year. 40mpg VW helps me more than most but still thinking of ways to avoid the crunch.(carpooling,shuttling, hitch hiking, teleporting,etc.) Just wondering who has good ideas about saving money and getting to ride just as many places. I saw a post with a Big Dummy sporting a rig on the back but am not tough enough to ride to and from trail head and hate riding in traffic. What ever I'm rambling.....

My leg feels funny
    I'm planning on buying some rope and just lassoing a ride to wherever I go

Seriously though my 35mpg saturn with a 12 gallon tank just cost $40 to fill up which is 4 times what it cost 5 years ago. I'm only going to fire up the Jeep to cycle the fluids once in a while. I'm all about car pooling this summer.

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Quote Originally Posted by bstrick
    Anybody feeling like they might get less rides in this year because of bogus fuel prices? Rides from home will most likely be the chose more often than last year. 40mpg VW helps me more than most but still thinking of ways to avoid the crunch.(carpooling,shuttling, hitch hiking, teleporting,etc.) Just wondering who has good ideas about saving money and getting to ride just as many places. I saw a post with a Big Dummy sporting a rig on the back but am not tough enough to ride to and from trail head and hate riding in traffic. What ever I'm rambling.....
    I just picked up a 38mpg Civic for $1600 - sure I feel like a hood-rat driving it around, but @ 45k miles per year, it's freed up a significant amount of cash.
    Now with more vitriol!

Stand back
    I know I won't be riding less. My suby isn't spectacular on gas (only ~24mpg everyday driving), and it requires premium. I spent over $50 the other day to filler up.
    Really tho, time is always more of a factor for me than gas prices when deciding where to ride. Altho if I had a civic with a really big fartcan I might drive further just to hear the exhaust...
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

Your retarded
    If you won't be riding at more remote locations because you can't afford the fuel price increase, you are living too close to your income level to afford to be mountain biking as a hobby in the first place.

It's like the guy on the news the other night who was interviewed about how the fuel prices are effecting his summer vacation plans. He said that his family and him will not be driving to Disneyland this year because of the increase in fuel costs. So let's do some math here. To drive to the Disney of Land and back is about 1600 miles. Let's say the family minivan gets 25 mpg. With those numbers he'd burn 64 gallons just to get there and back. If the difference between gas prices last summer and this one are... say $0.75, he's giving up his entire family trip because it will cost him an extra $48. If he can't afford to go out there for an extra $48, homeboy shouldn't be considering trip in the first place. What happens if he gets a flat tire or a dead battery? Will he start selling off his offspring?
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Word Nickle, sure it's costing more to drive but not really a significant amount more.
    Besides the Gub'ment gave me $600 and that's my gas money for every weekend this Summer. Beer (good beer) still costs more than gas.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Nope, my commuting to work allows me to drive whereever without feeling the pinch too much.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by liqwid
    Seriously though my 35mpg saturn with a 12 gallon tank just cost $40 to fill up which is 4 times what it cost 5 years ago.
    $10 for 12 gallons in 2003?

Stand back
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickle
    If you won't be riding at more remote locations because you can't afford the fuel price increase, you are living too close to your income level to afford to be mountain biking as a hobby in the first place.

It's like the guy on the news the other night who was interviewed about how the fuel prices are effecting his summer vacation plans. He said that his family and him will not be driving to Disneyland this year because of the increase in fuel costs. So let's do some math here. To drive to the Disney of Land and back is about 1600 miles. Let's say the family minivan gets 25 mpg. With those numbers he'd burn 64 gallons just to get there and back. If the difference between gas prices last summer and this one are... say $0.75, he's giving up his entire family trip because it will cost him an extra $48. If he can't afford to go out there for an extra $48, homeboy shouldn't be considering trip in the first place. What happens if he gets a flat tire or a dead battery? Will he start selling off his offspring?

There's this crazy thing I heard about the other day - global warming... Maybe Disneyland man decided there were a few reasons not to drive 1600 miles for a week's vacation. Like spending that much time cooped up in a minivan with the kids...
    Golden Bike Park

My leg feels funny

But it isn't just that trip that guy would be paying the extra price for. Between last year and this I'm paying an extra $20 a week with the economy car. I'm still able to afford to go where ever I want but it makes me think twice about all the extra driving I could cut back on rather than drop an extra grand a year to keep OPEC and the underlying corporations at record profits. I might cut back on a longer trip just so I don't feel like my extra spending cash is slowly going to my new hobby of buying gas.

Rolling

Exactly...

On subject, I like to make a game of saving gas. I figured with gas and depreciation on my truck, I save $6.50 a day on gas when I ride. That is an extra $130 a month I have in my pocket. I have also been riding to trail heads I used to drive to saving at least $10-$15 a week on riding costs.

My leg feels funny
    Quote Originally Posted by heckler_asx
    $10 for 12 gallons in 2003?
    well... I guess it was more like 7-8 years and I've never had to put more than 10 gallons in the thing. When the dial is at the "empty" line there's still a couple of gallons in it.

That's what she said
    Apr 2006
    Nope I am biking every chance I get.....heck even taking trips to durango and salida this year. Just making sure I am contributing to the gas industry.

Team Blindspot

You are right.

I am going to have to give up mountainbiking because I can't afford the grease anymore for rountine maintenance.
    Astigmatic Visionary

Rolling
    BTW, normalized for inflation, we just crossed the historical high set in 1981. In 1981, I was driving, in high school and dirt poor. But I still drove.

That's what she said
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    BTW, normalized for inflation, we just crossed the historical high set in 1981. In 1981, I was driving, in high school and dirt poor. But I still drove.

I was 6 in 1981, the only thing I was driving was hot wheels.

The Notorious S.L.O

I am feeling the pressure of increased fuel prices...

my primary ride to the trails is a diesel dually, (the other cars are in use by the wife and kids), which about the only use it sees these days, as fuel is between 4.59 and 4.78 a gallon, I used to fill the truck for 75 bucks, now that barely gets my past half a tank. I haven't filled it up in months.
    I imagine that I will be sticking closer to home for rides, wearing out my welcome at evrgrn mtn/3 sisters, as it is less than 10 min from the house.
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.
    "All I need is.......two wheels and the truth."

Goofing off?
    Thats funny. It looks likes gas prices were better when the democrats were in office. I am neither party.

My leg feels funny
    Quote Originally Posted by Intenserider2
    Thats funny. It looks likes gas prices were better when the democrats were in office. I am neither party.
    Lets just say gas prices are better when people who made their money off oil before being in office aren't in office.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Methinks your armchair analysis ain't so good...

mtbr member
    I will not give up my long weekend drives though I try to carpool more. Damn thing of it is that I end up driving and not asking for $$. Well, at least someone benefits but I'll try to set expectations in advance

I'm cutting down on things I normally buy my GF. No flowers, no chcolates, no fancy eating out, no lavish birthday gifts, etc. I gotta cut down somewhere. Yes, I'm aware of the risks but mtn biking has me in its evil grips.

My leg feels funny
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Methinks your armchair analysis ain't so good...
    actually you're right, by simple correlation you could say gas prices increase when you mess with Iraq. Then again using correlation you can also deduce that global warming is caused by the decline of pirates in the south Atlantic.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by liqwid
    actually you're right, by simple correlation you could say gas prices increase when you mess with Iraq. Then again using correlation you can also deduce that global warming is caused by the decline of pirates in the south Atlantic.
    Bingo.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    It boils down like this here: when stupid people elect stupid presidents, you've got to expect shite to get phocked up.

A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by DWF
    It boils down like this here: when stupid people elect stupid presidents, you've got to expect shite to get phocked up.

That picture is misleading... bikes do not get infinite mpg.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I think twice about doing rides that aren't near where I had to drive anyway

You know, "stealing". Which didn't stop me from driving to The Cone today.

BTW, for the whipper snappers in the audience, back in the 70s my buddy and me were driving through Texas. We just had to check out Waxahachie just for the name alone. We paid 17 cents for a gallon o' gas (premium was 19 cents). In today's dollars that's...around 17 cents, I think.
    So it seems to me to be, this thing that I think I see.

Arrrgggghhh!!
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    . We paid 17 cents for a gallon o' gas (premium was 19 cents). In today's dollars that's...around 17 cents, I think.
    I hope you're kidding. If not, I highly recommend you spend some time learning about basic finance.
    Give 'da people 'da air.

friend of Apex
    Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla
    I just picked up a 38mpg Civic for $1600 - sure I feel like a hood-rat driving it around, but @ 45k miles per year, it's freed up a significant amount of cash.
    Thats what I'm doin.
    The car will pay for itself; and maybe even pay for the bike thats twice the price sittin in the back seat.

MK_
    carpe maŮana

Based on that plot, I'd say we need Iraq to attack someone to bring the prices down. Too bad we shot ourselves in the foot and did away with Saddam.

_MK

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by a*holes

MK_
    carpe maŮana
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    In today's dollars that's...around 17 cents, I think.
    You should scroll up a little and look at Lidarman's plot, that will give you a rough idea of what 17c from 70s is worth in today's dollars...

_MK

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by a*holes

EJP
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Bus pass and carpooling

I'm also a member of the "Honda Civic with bike stuffed in back" club. It's still annoying to buy gas at $3.89 a gallon and I definitely want to cut back on driving for the summer, not so much because I can't afford it, but because it irks me. Taking the SKIP across Boulder cuts down on pavement time for me whether I am going north or south. The GS has a pretty limited schedule but stops right across from the Marshall Mesa trailhead. The N bus to Nederland is also handy. I wish the Y bus to Lyons had a more useful schedule, because it could enhance access to both Heil and Hall. I am also in favor of carpooling, but it's pretty amazing to realize that it costs as much (or more) per-person to transport two people in something like a 4Runner as it costs to transport me alone in my Honda.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

I like 'em either blond and fruity or dark and chocolaty

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    The price of gas is still less than what I was paying when I lived in Australia. I used to drive about 100miles every weekend (round trip) to go climbing back then and I was definitely less well paid than I am now.

So this summer will get me annoyed on occasion as I fill up my FJ, but I will still be riding every weekend and most of those driving to the mountains somewhere. And no way am I changing my summer plans to drive up to Vancouver Island for 3 weeks in the loam.

Old, stale, negative
    Quote Originally Posted by weimie
    Nope, my commuting to work allows me to drive whereever without feeling the pinch too much.
    I totally agree with this as a good solution. If I ride to work one day a week that negates the extra cost. Done!

Old, stale, negative
    [QUOTE=Nickle]If you won't be riding at more remote locations because you can't afford the fuel price increase, you are living too close to your income level to afford to be mountain biking as a hobby in the first place.

I didn't realize mountain biking had become so elitist. I'm pretty sure my bike collection costs more than most people's car. I'm doing fine with a well above average wage. My point is don't be such a douche that a light hearted question such as this makes you turn so vile and snobbish. If you look at the rest of this thread you will see that everyone else was willing to admit that gas prices at least affect them in some way. Have fun up there with that high and mighty attitude. I rode today, did you?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I've noticed myself driving to closer trails (Green Mountain) instead of more remote locations...also I do my recovery rides around my home now where I don't have to drive to ride.

It might limit how often I ride DH this summer too...but the snow may very well beat me to it.
    2011 Sponsors: Rocky Mountain Racing, Golden Bike Shop, WTB

"Oldfart from Wayback"

I'm still driving my '93 Civic. $30.00 to fill last week.

Guys at my construction sites have always given me grief about my "Civic Work Truck" when surrounded by a sea of V8 trucks or even worse diesel trucks.

Funny how yesterdays lunch talk was the cost to fill a tank. Most were Beatching/bragging about the $100-150 they spent over the Memorial Day weekend to fill their tanks.

I'm glad I live on the W side of "The Fort" where most rides are out my door. And if I want to go farther, I still have my Civic.

Human Crayon
    I live up on the north end of COS and work on the west end of 24/Cimmaron. I just take my bike to work and either go ride some trails during lunch or hit someplace on my way home (Palmer, Ute, Cheyenne area). So it hasn't really effected me that much, yet.

My lil' hatch gets 32 / 28 ó so long as I don't romp on it, otherwise the supercharger gets thirsty (but sounds oh so sweet) The only downside is that I am running high compression and need 91+
    ..:: sleestak ::..
    [SIZE] Matters [/SIZE]

Tossin the salad.

Funny you said that. From that way i hear about out (which I really don't care).

DemoNcrats - care about the economy.

RIPublicans - only care for themselves.

Rolling
    Maybe it's a handmade bamboo bike by the Amish. The tires and grips are made from natural tree rubber and lube is simply spit. Yes, it's squeaks a lot.

mtbr member
    [quote=bstrick]

I didn't realize mountain biking had become so elitist. I'm pretty sure my bike collection costs more than most people's car. I'm doing fine with a well above average wage. My point is don't be such a douche that a light hearted question such as this makes you turn so vile and snobbish. If you look at the rest of this thread you will see that everyone else was willing to admit that gas prices at least affect them in some way. Have fun up there with that high and mighty attitude. I rode today, did you?
    Easy B, take another lap or two around the block. You knew someone had to be an a$$.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Fill your bike up with gas often, do you?

Let me guess: you're going to offer the price of food and the fuel it takes to produce it. You're going talk about calorie expenditures and BTU equivalents. You're going to talk about production investments and consumption baselines. Well, before you waste all your time and electrons on that, let me make one teeny weeny little recommendation: don't.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

bacon! bacon! bacon!

Let me guess: you're going to offer the price of food and the fuel it takes to produce it. You're going talk about calorie expenditures and BTU equivalents. You're going to talk about production investments and consumption baselines. Well, before you waste all your time and electrons on that, let me make one teeny weeny little recommendation: don't.
    Don't worry... I'm not.

Rolling

Wow, it's ok to make up BS using some faint knowledge of mathematics with a bumper sticker even thought it's "technically" wrong. And then it's ok to bash on the person who points it out?

You can't have it both ways. This is not the movie industry. Don't use physics and math to make a false point then b!tch about it when the nerds show up and call it out.

ride
    No doubt, gas prices have definitely grown sucktacular. I was able finally make a move to quit one job that had me filling up the tank once every 6 days. Now I commute downhill a mile to work every day. It's nice so far.
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Wow, it's ok to make up BS using some knowledge of mathematics with a bumper sticker but when it's "technically" wrong, it's ok to bash on the person who points it out?

You can't have it both ways. This is not the movie industry. Don't use physics and math to make a false point then b!tch about it when the nerds show up and call it out.
    It's illustrative, not literal. Kind of like your avatar. You get that, right?

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    <snip>
    I ought to kick your a$$.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    It's illustrative, not literal.
    Oh yeah... one of those things for the sheep to feed on.

skillz to pay billz
    pack your bikes in your car vs the roof rack. Racks w/o bikes can effect your mileage 3-5% let alone w/ bikes, esp. if youre on a long trip.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOby
    pack your bikes in your car vs the roof rack. Racks w/o bikes can effect your mileage 3-5% let alone w/ bikes, esp. if youre on a long trip.
    Man... you try to get 5 bikes, 5 people, camping gear and food in one van without putting the bikes on the top.

Rolling
    It's illustrative, not literal. Kind of like your avatar. You get that, right?

I'm slow.....nope I don't get it.

I take everything on the web very seriously though if that helps.

skillz to pay billz
    mythbusters might be able to prove me wrong but a rear facing rack should get better mileage than a roof rack as well

Rolling
    mythbusters might be able to prove me wrong but a rear facing rack should get better mileage than a roof rack as well
    last MB show I watched, they were driving SUVs backwards..wonder it that still holds.

Your retarded
    Quote Originally Posted by bstrick
    So which part of the above logic hit you so personally that you felt a response like this was necessary? Was it the part where I said you shouldn't be riding mountain bikes as a hobby if your income is so tight that you are unable to cope with rising fuel prices? Okay, I can see how that might strike a cord. I'm making an assumption about your income level and spending habits, much like you did about mine, Pot. But that's beside the point. Let's look at this constructively and see if we can't answer your original question.

"Just wondering who has good ideas about saving money and getting to ride just as many places." Cool, that applies to me too. You mentioned carpooling, shuttling, hitch hiking, teleporting, etc. While I fail to see the fuel savings from shuttling and teleporting, your other two ideas are quite reasonable and would be my first two suggestions. I'd like to add that you could also save on fuel costs by changing how you drive. If you are an aggressive driver (I'm not saying you are, so don't jump on me, please) who finds it stressful moving through traffic, back off the throttle, take a deep breath and relax. I did that a couple years ago and it did help my fuel economy considerably. I also haven't had a ticket in 4 years so it's helping in that area too. My next recommendation would be to change where you drive, if you can help it. It may not be feasible to move or change jobs, but if it is, changing your location to one that is closer in proximity to your riding or lifestyle would most certainly reduce the impact of rising fuel costs. But I'm sure you've already considered that option. I did and was able to move such that my rent has remained the same, but I am more centrally located within my typical travel area. It's helped, a lot actually.

There, that was my constructive response. However, I do have one more bit of advice to add. Anytime you start a thread that can be interpreted by others as complaining or playing the victim card regarding a hot subject like fuel prices, be prepared for people to disagree with your point of view or offer up logic or opinions that may differ significantly from your own. Okay? Cool.

And yes, I did ride today (yesterday); right from my front door. It felt great to be on the pedals.
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

Old, stale, negative
    So which part of the above logic hit you so personally that you felt a response like this was necessary? Was it the part where I said you shouldn't be riding mountain bikes as a hobby if your income is so tight that you are unable to cope with rising fuel prices? Okay, I can see how that might strike a cord. I'm making an assumption about your income level and spending habits, much like you did about mine, Pot. But that's beside the point. Let's look at this constructively and see if we can't answer your original question.

"Just wondering who has good ideas about saving money and getting to ride just as many places." Cool, that applies to me too. You mentioned carpooling, shuttling, hitch hiking, teleporting, etc. While I fail to see the fuel savings from shuttling and teleporting, your other two ideas are quite reasonable and would be my first two suggestions. I'd like to add that you could also save on fuel costs by changing how you drive. If you are an aggressive driver (I'm not saying you are, so don't jump on me, please) who finds it stressful moving through traffic, back off the throttle, take a deep breath and relax. I did that a couple years ago and it did help my fuel economy considerably. I also haven't had a ticket in 4 years so it's helping in that area too. My next recommendation would be to change where you drive, if you can help it. It may not be feasible to move or change jobs, but if it is, changing your location to one that is closer in proximity to your riding or lifestyle would most certainly reduce the impact of rising fuel costs. But I'm sure you've already considered that option. I did and was able to move such that my rent has remained the same, but I am more centrally located within my typical travel area. It's helped, a lot actually.

There, that was my constructive response. However, I do have one more bit of advice to add. Anytime you start a thread that can be interpreted by others as complaining or playing the victim card regarding a hot subject like fuel prices, be prepared for people to disagree with your point of view or offer up logic or opinions that may differ significantly from your own. Okay? Cool.

And yes, I did ride today (yesterday); right from my front door. It felt great to be on the pedals.
    Well said, it did strike a cord and I did feel it was a bit off subject and pointed. I appreciate your mature well thought out rebuttal and take back my comments and name calling. as my coworker pointed out, I'm more of a douche than you for my response. Glad you rode and share the same passion as I do.

Your retarded
    No worries, bud. Worse things have happened. What kind of VW do you have anyway? If a MkIV Golf TDI would hold my bike(s) without the aid of a roof rack, I'd be all over one.

Shinobi-Wan Kenobi Moderator
    That depends on your speed. If you're driving at highway speeds, abosolutely, even an empty rack has an impact. However, I haven't noticed an impact on my fuel economy this summer (when I have kept my rack on all the time) vs. last summer (when I pulled th rack off after each use). Most of my driving is suburban at around 45mph.

K (still gets over 50mpg with the bike on the roof at highway speeds)

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Guys, guys... it's "chord"...

MK_
    carpe maŮana
    No worries, bud. Worse things have happened. What kind of VW do you have anyway? If a MkIV Golf TDI would hold my bike(s) without the aid of a roof rack, I'd be all over one.
    They do make hitch racks, you know.

_MK

Your retarded
    Guys, guys... it's "chord"...
    Hey, I still count on my fingers. Getting as close to the correct spelling as I did was quite the accomplishment.

Quote Originally Posted by MK_
    They do make hitch racks, you know.
    Yep. Not a big fan of that option either.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Hey, I still count on my fingers. Getting as close to the correct spelling as I did was quite the accomplishment.

Yeah. I can imagine how lousy my departure angle would be with a hitch rack capable of carrying 5 bikes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    More local rides, and a good summer to get my house remodel project going more than I did last summer with a season of Mountain States Cup and Winter Park. I guess I will leave the Dodge Quad Cab diesel at home and make 3-4 trips to the recycling center with my Bob trailer. Now that's green. This is the beginning of the end ...high food prices, petroleum, screwed up banking and mortgage. Movies of the past told of the future, and it s here.

Old, stale, negative

I suck at spelling and am worse at proving points on the inner tubes. 2005 TDI Golf with roof racks. Not the greatest Colorado trail car but the MPG made me do it.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by roaddog
    More local rides, and a good summer to get my house remodel project going more than I did last summer with a season of Mountain States Cup and Winter Park. I guess I will leave the Dodge Quad Cab diesel at home and make 3-4 trips to the recycling center with my Bob trailer. Now that's green. This is the beginning of the end ...high food prices, petroleum, screwed up banking and mortgage. Movies of the past told of the future, and it s here.
    Doom and gloom.

Don't buy into the hype.

Arrrgggghhh!!
    I've commuted to work by bike every day for 2 years vs the 40 mile round trip per day drive I used to have. Makes a couple of road trips a week to ride a no brainer, even with gas as high as it is.

I hope gas gets high enough that it cuts down I-70 traffic on the weekends during ski season. That would be Tits.
    Give 'da people 'da air.

mtbr member
    The US is ranked 108th for most expensive gas. Much of Europe is over $8 a gallon USD. What are we complaining about.

http://money.cnn.com/2008/05/01/news...ion=2008050109

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKracing
    The US is ranked 108th for most expensive gas. Much of Europe is over $8 a gallon USD. What are we complaining about.

Yeah - but their infrastructure for other modes of transportation is LIGHT YEARS ahead of ours...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKracing

Read the article that should explain it.

I think the intention of the post was to find ways to adapt to steadily increasing gas prices and still be able to do the things you want. Every time someone brings up gas prices the old "It's much worse in Europe." comes out and you're automatically labeled a complainer. What should we do then, stick our heads in the sand and hope it all works out? When I bought my truck gas was under $2.00 a gallon, I made a decision to sacrifice gas mileage for the vehicle I've always wanted. Would I do the same now? Probably not. What I am doing is changing my driving habits and cutting out other luxuries, so that I can still ride where I want when I want. Here's a link that has a lot of useful information.

http://hypermiling.com/

Sorry for the long winded response, but it bothers me when people use the Europe argument. I don't live in Europe and couldn't care less what they're paying for gas.

TJ
    Last edited by trail_junkie; 05-30-2008 at 10:54 AM.

skillz to pay billz
    I don't mind paying more if the money goes towards improvements in infrastructure and alt modes, I just don't like buying bentleys for oil execs and GW.

Stand back
    Quote Originally Posted by trail_junkie
    Sorry for the long winded response, but it bothers me when people use the Europe argument. I don't live in Europe and could care less what they're paying for gas.

TJ
    I agree, except that I could not care less what they're paying for gas in Europe. I think that's what you meant, too...
    Golden Bike Park

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    All the more reason to have a light hardtail all-rounder...won't hate it as much riding to the trail-head...I always thought shuttling was pretty stoopid anyway unless there's absolutely no way to connect a loop...but to do it just to avoid climbing...that's like driving a Hummer.
    Citius. Altius. Fortius.

Your retarded
    Quote Originally Posted by livinlite
    All the more reason to have a light hardtail all-rounder...won't hate it as much riding to the trail-head...I always thought shuttling was pretty stoopid anyway unless there's absolutely no way to connect a loop...but to do it just to avoid climbing...that's like driving a Hummer.
    I shuttle Monarch Crest. Real men ride the loop.

Thread Terrorist
    Wow, I can't even get my 2 cents into this forum....

In general, less people driving to riding locations = less traffic on the trails and roads.

..This is why I live in Golden...

mtbr member
    I read about this in an automotive magazine a few months ago and decided to give it a try. I hope to get it installed this weekend. I hope it makes a difference...

http://www.fitchfuelcatalyst.com/

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by hardtail05
    I read about this in an automotive magazine a few months ago and decided to give it a try. I hope to get it installed this weekend. I hope it makes a difference...

I hope you did some research.

If it looks like snake oil, smells like snake oil, and feels like snake oil...

It's probably snake oil.

Stiff yet compliant
    Quote Originally Posted by hardtail05

It will make a difference. Your wallet is lighter now and reducing weight usually results in better fuel economy.

mtbr member

It's probably snake oil.

Yes, this possibility was foremost in my mind when considering this purchase. I did do some research, actualy. I wasn't sure about it but decided to go for it becouse if it DOES work, then the $$ savings will add up quick. Anyway, when I have tried it out for a week or so, I'll reply here and post my findings...

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Ok... please report back. I'd be interested to know how this incredible secret has been held from the world for so long if it does work.

Farva's #1
    I'm parking the car in the garage and buying a fixie.

Going, Going, Gonzo
    OPEC president says oil prices not tied to market

"The weak U.S. dollar, speculation and the subprime crisis are the causes for the spiraling price of oil, OPEC's current president said Saturday."
    Signature? I don't need no stinking signature.

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoCovert
    I'm parking the car in the garage and buying a fixie.
    The Extra food for human fuel will now increase... You can't get away from it

mtbr member
    Ok... please report back. I'd be interested to know how this incredible secret has been held from the world for so long if it does work.
    It's not as sensationalized as you make it out to be, but patronizing comments aside, I did get it installed and I got about 3 to 3.5 mpg better on the freeway coming home yesterday. For that type of driving, I should get about 63 more miles out of a tank of gas. It's not a dramatic difference, but one that will add up over time. I don't know how big the improvement will be for city driving, but we'll see.

Thread Terrorist
    All it takes to save 3-5 mpg is to not accelerate as if you need to be first of the line (which = 99.9% of Coloradans).

I went from 24 to 27/28 in the city by doing just that.

Also, draft behind larg trucks on the highway, also can add 3 to 10 MPG.

QwertyTFC
    WEll anyone that wants to carpool get ahold of me i can pitch on gas or u can drive with me... i get like 30+ mpg on highway which aint to bad so a couple bucks and u can go with me.. or hooke me up with the half price buy one get one if u got a pass and we good lol

jon

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Gas prices are going nowhere but up. All of us are just going to have to deal with it. If we're smart we adapt with higher mileage cars, driving habits that maximize mileage, better public transportation, all that kind of stuff. Most of the rest of the western world has learned how to deal with high gas prices, it's only here in the US of A that we've considered it a holy entitlement to waste gas. That era is over.

Some point out that when looked at from a cost of filling each tank or individula trip point of view, the cost isn't significant, this has some truth, but it adds up over time, especially if you are driving an guzzling SUV or truck. Add that to general inflation and a lot of folks are feeling the pinch.

As for myself, I have hundreds of miles of trails out my door as well as great road riding so assuming the trails are snow free I don't have to drive to ride very much. The downside to where I live, especially this year, is we have a short mountain bike season compared to lower elevations so if I want to ride dirt early season I have to drive. I have found myself driving less and slowing down when I do drive.

As much as it hurts in the short term, I think high gas prices in the long term are a good thing. It seems it the only thing that is going to get Americians to change their ways.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure
    ..This is why I live in Golden...
    Word.

mtbr member
    I definitely agree that you have to look at the big picture instead of individual trips.

I also have tons of singletrack out my door, and intend to use them for as long as they are snow free.

skillz to pay billz
    well, I carpooled with my wife this morning since she wanted to go grocery shopping. Took my bike and rode the bus to ned then rode west mag -> boot -> blue dot -> home. what a great commute. I think this will become a regular thing, ride down to boulder then bus back and ride. Probably can do 25 miles just to and from work.

Members who have read this thread: 0