Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: gas prices....

Old, stale, negative

gas prices....

Anybody feeling like they might get less rides in this year because of bogus fuel prices? Rides from home will most likely be the chose more often than last year. 40mpg VW helps me more than most but still thinking of ways to avoid the crunch.(carpooling,shuttling, hitch hiking, teleporting,etc.) Just wondering who has good ideas about saving money and getting to ride just as many places. I saw a post with a Big Dummy sporting a rig on the back but am not tough enough to ride to and from trail head and hate riding in traffic. What ever I'm rambling.....

My leg feels funny
    I'm planning on buying some rope and just lassoing a ride to wherever I go

Seriously though my 35mpg saturn with a 12 gallon tank just cost $40 to fill up which is 4 times what it cost 5 years ago. I'm only going to fire up the Jeep to cycle the fluids once in a while. I'm all about car pooling this summer.

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Quote Originally Posted by bstrick
    Anybody feeling like they might get less rides in this year because of bogus fuel prices? Rides from home will most likely be the chose more often than last year. 40mpg VW helps me more than most but still thinking of ways to avoid the crunch.(carpooling,shuttling, hitch hiking, teleporting,etc.) Just wondering who has good ideas about saving money and getting to ride just as many places. I saw a post with a Big Dummy sporting a rig on the back but am not tough enough to ride to and from trail head and hate riding in traffic. What ever I'm rambling.....
    I just picked up a 38mpg Civic for $1600 - sure I feel like a hood-rat driving it around, but @ 45k miles per year, it's freed up a significant amount of cash.
    Now with more vitriol!

Stand back
    I know I won't be riding less. My suby isn't spectacular on gas (only ~24mpg everyday driving), and it requires premium. I spent over $50 the other day to filler up.
    Really tho, time is always more of a factor for me than gas prices when deciding where to ride. Altho if I had a civic with a really big fartcan I might drive further just to hear the exhaust...
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

Your retarded
    If you won't be riding at more remote locations because you can't afford the fuel price increase, you are living too close to your income level to afford to be mountain biking as a hobby in the first place.

It's like the guy on the news the other night who was interviewed about how the fuel prices are effecting his summer vacation plans. He said that his family and him will not be driving to Disneyland this year because of the increase in fuel costs. So let's do some math here. To drive to the Disney of Land and back is about 1600 miles. Let's say the family minivan gets 25 mpg. With those numbers he'd burn 64 gallons just to get there and back. If the difference between gas prices last summer and this one are... say $0.75, he's giving up his entire family trip because it will cost him an extra $48. If he can't afford to go out there for an extra $48, homeboy shouldn't be considering trip in the first place. What happens if he gets a flat tire or a dead battery? Will he start selling off his offspring?
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Word Nickle, sure it's costing more to drive but not really a significant amount more.
    Besides the Gub'ment gave me $600 and that's my gas money for every weekend this Summer. Beer (good beer) still costs more than gas.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Nope, my commuting to work allows me to drive whereever without feeling the pinch too much.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by liqwid
    Seriously though my 35mpg saturn with a 12 gallon tank just cost $40 to fill up which is 4 times what it cost 5 years ago.
    $10 for 12 gallons in 2003?

Stand back
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickle
    If you won't be riding at more remote locations because you can't afford the fuel price increase, you are living too close to your income level to afford to be mountain biking as a hobby in the first place.

It's like the guy on the news the other night who was interviewed about how the fuel prices are effecting his summer vacation plans. He said that his family and him will not be driving to Disneyland this year because of the increase in fuel costs. So let's do some math here. To drive to the Disney of Land and back is about 1600 miles. Let's say the family minivan gets 25 mpg. With those numbers he'd burn 64 gallons just to get there and back. If the difference between gas prices last summer and this one are... say $0.75, he's giving up his entire family trip because it will cost him an extra $48. If he can't afford to go out there for an extra $48, homeboy shouldn't be considering trip in the first place. What happens if he gets a flat tire or a dead battery? Will he start selling off his offspring?

There's this crazy thing I heard about the other day - global warming... Maybe Disneyland man decided there were a few reasons not to drive 1600 miles for a week's vacation. Like spending that much time cooped up in a minivan with the kids...
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

My leg feels funny

But it isn't just that trip that guy would be paying the extra price for. Between last year and this I'm paying an extra $20 a week with the economy car. I'm still able to afford to go where ever I want but it makes me think twice about all the extra driving I could cut back on rather than drop an extra grand a year to keep OPEC and the underlying corporations at record profits. I might cut back on a longer trip just so I don't feel like my extra spending cash is slowly going to my new hobby of buying gas.

Rolling

Exactly...

On subject, I like to make a game of saving gas. I figured with gas and depreciation on my truck, I save $6.50 a day on gas when I ride. That is an extra $130 a month I have in my pocket. I have also been riding to trail heads I used to drive to saving at least $10-$15 a week on riding costs.

My leg feels funny
    Quote Originally Posted by heckler_asx
    $10 for 12 gallons in 2003?
    well... I guess it was more like 7-8 years and I've never had to put more than 10 gallons in the thing. When the dial is at the "empty" line there's still a couple of gallons in it.

That's what she said
    Apr 2006
    Nope I am biking every chance I get.....heck even taking trips to durango and salida this year. Just making sure I am contributing to the gas industry.

Team Blindspot

You are right.

I am going to have to give up mountainbiking because I can't afford the grease anymore for rountine maintenance.
    Astigmatic Visionary

Rolling
    BTW, normalized for inflation, we just crossed the historical high set in 1981. In 1981, I was driving, in high school and dirt poor. But I still drove.

That's what she said
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    BTW, normalized for inflation, we just crossed the historical high set in 1981. In 1981, I was driving, in high school and dirt poor. But I still drove.

I was 6 in 1981, the only thing I was driving was hot wheels.

The Notorious S.L.O

I am feeling the pressure of increased fuel prices...

my primary ride to the trails is a diesel dually, (the other cars are in use by the wife and kids), which about the only use it sees these days, as fuel is between 4.59 and 4.78 a gallon, I used to fill the truck for 75 bucks, now that barely gets my past half a tank. I haven't filled it up in months.
    I imagine that I will be sticking closer to home for rides, wearing out my welcome at evrgrn mtn/3 sisters, as it is less than 10 min from the house.
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.
    "All I need is.......two wheels and the truth."

Goofing off?
    Thats funny. It looks likes gas prices were better when the democrats were in office. I am neither party.

Quote Originally Posted by lidarman

My leg feels funny
    Quote Originally Posted by Intenserider2
    Thats funny. It looks likes gas prices were better when the democrats were in office. I am neither party.
    Lets just say gas prices are better when people who made their money off oil before being in office aren't in office.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Methinks your armchair analysis ain't so good...

mtbr member
    I will not give up my long weekend drives though I try to carpool more. Damn thing of it is that I end up driving and not asking for $$. Well, at least someone benefits but I'll try to set expectations in advance

I'm cutting down on things I normally buy my GF. No flowers, no chcolates, no fancy eating out, no lavish birthday gifts, etc. I gotta cut down somewhere. Yes, I'm aware of the risks but mtn biking has me in its evil grips.

My leg feels funny
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Methinks your armchair analysis ain't so good...
    actually you're right, by simple correlation you could say gas prices increase when you mess with Iraq. Then again using correlation you can also deduce that global warming is caused by the decline of pirates in the south Atlantic.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by liqwid
    actually you're right, by simple correlation you could say gas prices increase when you mess with Iraq. Then again using correlation you can also deduce that global warming is caused by the decline of pirates in the south Atlantic.
    Bingo.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by Intenserider2
    It boils down like this here: when stupid people elect stupid presidents, you've got to expect shite to get phocked up.

A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by DWF
    It boils down like this here: when stupid people elect stupid presidents, you've got to expect shite to get phocked up.

That picture is misleading... bikes do not get infinite mpg.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast