FAT CHANCE!

Garmin Edge 305 in the front range

I just wanted to hear if anyone is or has tried using a Garmin Edge 305 bike computer on any of the trails in the Front Range. I am very interested to hear if you have had any signal problems or areas you rid in that you are not able to pick up a signal. I am close to getting one but wanted to hear from some experienced users in the area.

Thanks

Now with 20% more fat!!
    Loving mine... so far I've been pretty impressed with the functionality of the 305. It has had a few places where signal will drop (when I'm doing 30mph coming down Waterton it loses signal a few times in the canyon)... Other than that I really haven't notice much signal loss. I'm also impressed with the battery life of the unit - and love that it is rechargeable. Add the cadence/heartrate monitor option and it's a training machine waiting to happen.

Singletrack Daydreamer
    I've had mine since April 2005. Sent it back for warranty in October 2005 when it stopped working entirely during the mud and rain of my 24 hours of Moab solo (8 hours of it before they stopped things). I've had problems with the chest strap drying out on cooler days. It's not as good as the polar straps and unfortunately, they're not interchangable. In the last few months I've had some problems with it showing that it is fully charged, then 2-3 days trying to turn it on, unable to get it to respond, resetting it, then getting a low battery warning and only a few minutes of life before it dies. It only does it occasionally, but it's quite frustrating.

In short, if Polar ever makes a GPS, I'll buy it in a heartbeat, but for now, Garmin is the only unit out there of its kind and it does some pretty dang amazing stuff. I'm likely to upgrade to an Edge 705 sometime next year because I'd like to integrate power into my training and would like the mapping tools it offers. The signal issues are really non-issues. I've only dropped signal a handful of times (2-3 maybe) in about 200 recorded workouts. I will probably warranty my 305 again soon, but it's a balance of hating to be without it, but getting fed up with riding without a computer perhaps one ride in ten lately.

I know others who've had to warranty their units, also. They're reasonably good about it if you have the patience to sit on the phone and talk it out with them. Their e-mail assistance has been less than desirable for me, as they'd prefer to talk and generally tell you to call before you can get an RMA (return authorization).

If you want trouble-free, buy a Polar 720 (sans GPS). If you want gadgety-goodness, the Garmin is the bomb.

FAT CHANCE!
    Thanks guys, I do a lot of riding in Golden/ Morrison and a lot on the Colorado Trail and Deer Creek areas, just would like to know if the reception is good for the GPS signal in these areas. I know some of these rides get down in some canyon areas but overall I am hoping to have a decent signal all the time.

Singletrack Daydreamer
    Signal is a non-issue. The only time I specifically recall losing signal was while crossing the CSM campus (and it threw me over 30 miles east for about two seconds, then recovered (but added 60 miles to my ride data)). Only happened there once in Golden, then again in the tunnel in Colorado National Monument (duh), and perhaps one other time. ...and that's in over 6,000 miles of riding with my Edge.

what nice teeth you have
    No signal problems with my edge. Fort Colling riding. Need better software though.

Who said Punisher?
    Quote Originally Posted by roy harley
    I just wanted to hear if anyone is or has tried using a Garmin Edge 305 bike computer on any of the trails in the Front Range. I am very interested to hear if you have had any signal problems or areas you rid in that you are not able to pick up a signal. I am close to getting one but wanted to hear from some experienced users in the area.

Thanks

No problems with mine at all or signal and i use it year round and in all sorts of weather in frontrange, high country whatever. I use it for training and mulitple bikes with cadence etc. I even took mine to Nepal for 5 weeks of climbing and some trekking and it worked great--good for waypoints I had put in to find routes and great for HR data afterwards at the altitudes. Used a solar panel to charge it every few days. It holds a good bit of data pending the way you set it to collect and such. I also use a portable rechargable battery pack (USB) that will give the unit up to four full recharges or allow it to run for over 35 hours for longer events. That battery pack also charges my digital camera battery so it works great on long outings if you do not have access to AC while camping or something. The only thing I miss is the color maps on it which they are releasing in Dec/Jan with the 705 but it is $$$. I am getting ready to sell mine for that reason--no other--maybe we can talk about that. I also have a small Garmin Etrex I use for the maps--good for back country rides and things like hut trips in the winter but the receiver in it is not as good as the 305 and in dense trees, I loose signal--so sometimes I use both cause the 305 will have all of the track data for sure. The only thing that I have contacted Garmin about is the fact that once you mark a way point, you cannot look at the lat/long of it--only visible when you save it. You can look at it once you download it at home, but if you need to tell someone your coordinates (like a rescue which is when I found out about this issue), that is a problem or match it up with a topo. Garmin said they would look into it for a future firmware update--keep you fingers crossed! HTH.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

After paying $300+ they want another $100 a year to use Motionbased?

I love my 305 and haven't had any issues w/ signal.

But I have to hijack this thread a moment. The one thing that REALLY pisses me off is that if you want to upload to Google maps and use the cool features available on MotionBased you have to pay 95 bucks a year or 12 dollars a month. When you spend $300 dollars on a premium GPS unit or $450 on the new Edge 705 and then they want another 100 bucks a year to capitalize on all the features it's reason to be pissed off (which is the reason one would choose a GPS and not a simple HRM/computer).

The other comment I'd make is that the barometric altitude is a bit off. This became clear when I road 24 hours of moab... Garmin is about 20 feet off which is acceptable. Motionbased adds another 2-300 feet per lap

Singletrack Daydreamer
    Actually, the history of MB is that it was a small start-up company using the data from Garmin devices and Garmin purchased the company in about March 2005. While it's important that folks know what they're getting for their purchase (what comes with it and what doesn't), Garmin purchased MB as an additional revenue source; they didn't develop it themselves to enhance their products.

I'm not justifying their cost or way of doing business, since they certainly use MB as a marketing tool for the 305, just explaining the history.

As for the inaccuracy of the elevation, yep, generally off by about 15%, which makes no sense since they are using the same data source.

holding back the darkness
    I love the 205 (absolutely no interest in my heart rate) and was able to find it for $100 on eBay. The native software is lackluster, but I sync mine to Google Earth for hours of 3D fun! It's great for tracking rides. The coolest features IMHO:
    training buddy: race against yourself! This helps you realize that beer, pizza, and habitual sloth do impact your overall speed.
    Navigate back to start: Never get completely lost again.
    Download courses: You can save rides and navigate them later. Like when that buddy from wherever takes you for a ride in his stomping grounds you can remember that ride later and ride it again.
    Google Earth: More fun than should be allowed via USB.
    Oh, and I've never had any issues with signal....
    **** censorship

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Free Alternative to MotionBased

Try http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/SportTracks/

You'll be glad you did

Quote Originally Posted by edenger
    I love my 305 and haven't had any issues w/ signal.

But I have to hijack this thread a moment. The one thing that REALLY pisses me off is that if you want to upload to Google maps and use the cool features available on MotionBased you have to pay 95 bucks a year or 12 dollars a month. When you spend $300 dollars on a premium GPS unit or $450 on the new Edge 705 and then they want another 100 bucks a year to capitalize on all the features it's reason to be pissed off (which is the reason one would choose a GPS and not a simple HRM/computer).

lucky enough
    Quote Originally Posted by edenger
    The other comment I'd make is that the barometric altitude is a bit off. This became clear when I road 24 hours of moab..
    Well over 24 hours the barometric pressure can change a fair amount. I would not expect elevation readings to be accurate after that long a period without calibrating. Oh - and it's rode 24 hours, not "road".
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine