Results 1 to 33 of 33
  1. #1
    Card Carrying Member
    Reputation: kitchenware's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,032

    FYI, new AC1 frames at Supergo = $299 w/ Swinger 4way

    Yip, you read right... 299. Only Large left and 5-6 of em as of tonight.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,182
    You got me all excited and i can't find em. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo

  3. #3
    Bad Case of the Mondays
    Reputation: Jdub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,001
    Quote Originally Posted by kitchenware
    Yip, you read right... 299. Only Large left and 5-6 of em as of tonight.
    Holy cow. May have to head down there tomorrow morning.

  4. #4
    eci
    Reputation: snowskilz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,662
    you get one??

  5. #5
    Card Carrying Member
    Reputation: kitchenware's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,032
    Quote Originally Posted by twouareks
    You got me all excited and i can't find em. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo

    In store. Westminster, 88th and Wads...

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,182
    there's a supergo store in westminster? how cool, i didnt know that....thats a long drive for me tho. well sh!t

  7. #7
    Card Carrying Member
    Reputation: kitchenware's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,032
    Quote Originally Posted by snowskilz
    you get one??
    I'm a hardtail kinda guy.

  8. #8
    Bad Case of the Mondays
    Reputation: Jdub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,001
    Quote Originally Posted by twouareks
    there's a supergo store in westminster? how cool, i didnt know that....thats a long drive for me tho. well sh!t
    Just been open a couple of months. I went to the "Grand Opening" sale a couple weeks before labor day.

  9. #9
    locked - time out
    Reputation: s1ngletrack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,725
    Don't do it - only girlie-men ride AC1s.

  10. #10
    locked - time out
    Reputation: s1ngletrack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,725
    If, however, you decide that you are fightin' for the pink team, I have a 2.5 month old Sherman Firefly that will fit your large frame, complete with Ti and Firm springs & a 20mm front wheel to boot - for $300.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,182
    hmm, now, is it worth it? 40 minute drive? what is the geometry on the large? how many inches? and its on 04? not an 03?

  12. #12
    locked - time out
    Reputation: s1ngletrack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,725
    Quote Originally Posted by twouareks
    hmm, now, is it worth it? 40 minute drive? what is the geometry on the large? how many inches? and its on 04? not an 03?
    Yah - it's totally worth it.

  13. #13
    Perpetually single track
    Reputation: ibmkidIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,170
    shiit, man...if they had small I would considered maxing out my plastic. Once again, superblow comes to the rescue blowing all the LBS'es out of the water...

    supergo=wallyworld of the bike world.....not that I don't shop at both....

  14. #14
    Auto Racer
    Reputation: Bicycle019's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    90
    Quote Originally Posted by kitchenware
    I'm a hardtail kinda guy.

    lies....all lies.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,182
    There are a bunch left, and they have medium and large. at least a few medium (18") ad plenty of large (19"). And yes, they sure are $299.

  16. #16
    Perpetually single track
    Reputation: ibmkidIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,170
    The real question is did you get one!?!?!?!?!?

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,182
    I got 3.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,373

    '03 or '04?

    Are they really '04s or are they '03s? They had a ton of leftover complete '03 bikes; I wonder if they parted them out.

    I bought one of the '03's. I love it.




    Quote Originally Posted by kitchenware
    Yip, you read right... 299. Only Large left and 5-6 of em as of tonight.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,373

    Wheel?

    Are the fork and wheel a takeoff from an AC1? UST rim and Octopus Tubless tire?

    I might be interested.


    Quote Originally Posted by s1ngletrack
    If, however, you decide that you are fightin' for the pink team, I have a 2.5 month old Sherman Firefly that will fit your large frame, complete with Ti and Firm springs & a 20mm front wheel to boot - for $300.

  20. #20
    locked - time out
    Reputation: s1ngletrack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,725
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit
    Are the fork and wheel a takeoff from an AC1? UST rim and Octopus Tubless tire?

    I might be interested.
    The fork is - the rim is not. I will throw in a decent tire too though if that will help entice you. I just need to make up for the money I spent on the new fork for my bike.

    BTW - these damned Octopus tires are overrated, I've have nothing but issues with them - the casings are weak.

  21. #21
    Card Carrying Member
    Reputation: kitchenware's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,032
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit
    Are they really '04s or are they '03s? They had a ton of leftover complete '03 bikes; I wonder if they parted them out.

    I bought one of the '03's. I love it.
    03 and 04 are exactly the same frame, aside from the posibility of colors being diff.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,182
    they are all 03's

  23. #23
    Card Carrying Member
    Reputation: kitchenware's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,032
    Quote Originally Posted by twouareks
    they are all 03's
    Same thing anyway...

    Wanna know the coolest part about the frame? Warranty replacement later down the road when the AC is no longer made.

  24. #24
    Hairshirt Rider
    Reputation: Loudpawlz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,857
    And there are now enough of these bikes flying around the Front Range that we'll find out soon enough how well they hold up.

  25. #25
    locked - time out
    Reputation: s1ngletrack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,725
    flying around the Front Range
    Sweet.

  26. #26
    contains quinine
    Reputation: Debaser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,618
    This is the last thing I need and I still want one.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

  27. #27
    Bad Case of the Mondays
    Reputation: Jdub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,001
    Quote Originally Posted by Debaser
    This is the last thing I need and I still want one.
    I know what you mean. I can hardly lug my 27lb bike up the climbs arouond here and I'm having a really hard time not picking one of these frames up.

  28. #28
    Card Carrying Member
    Reputation: kitchenware's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,032
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub
    I know what you mean. I can hardly lug my 27lb bike up the climbs arouond here
    Well, up until today I've been running 1x9, but this rig might be a touch too heavy for that.

  29. #29
    Bad Case of the Mondays
    Reputation: Jdub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,001
    Quote Originally Posted by kitchenware
    Well, up until today I've been running 1x9, but this rig might be a touch too heavy for that.
    Let us know how the test ride goes, I'm very interested to see what you think about all that travel, especially after coming from a HT. Wish I could get out of work to ride Hall this morning, but no can do...If I'm going to buy an AC1, I gotta pay the bills...

  30. #30
    Arrrgggghhh!!
    Reputation: BBOC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    281
    Watch the area connecting the chainstays for cracks. I had one (2002 AC Air - same frame) and I've heard it is a common problem. It manifested itself a a creaking noise while pedaling. (Giant warrantied the seat stay, not the whole frame, no questions asked)

    If I wasn't trying so hard to pay off my CC I would pick one up right now and transfer my parts. Too bad.

    Quote Originally Posted by Loudpawlz
    And there are now enough of these bikes flying around the Front Range that we'll find out soon enough how well they hold up.
    Give 'da people 'da air.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,373

    '03/'04 AC Frames Are Completely Different

    In '03 Giant beefed up the AC frames. Hydroformed tubes, beefier everywhere. There were many reports of '02 frames failing, and almost none of '03 or newer.

    BTW, the '03 AC1 was $1299 at Supergo last time I looked. $299 is a great deal for the frame, but it would be tough to match the spec on the complete bike for an additional grand. On top of that, they ran an additional 10% off sale a few weeks ago, and apparently do stuff like that often. Some people got a complete AC1 for $1070. The fork goes for $400, the brakes $300, and the crank $200 at good mail order prices. It has great wheels, too.

    I love mine. Since I got it, my Moots has been gathering dust.



    Quote Originally Posted by BBOC
    Watch the area connecting the chainstays for cracks. I had one (2002 AC Air - same frame) and I've heard it is a common problem. It manifested itself a a creaking noise while pedaling. (Giant warrantied the seat stay, not the whole frame, no questions asked)

    If I wasn't trying so hard to pay off my CC I would pick one up right now and transfer my parts. Too bad.

  32. #32
    Card Carrying Member
    Reputation: kitchenware's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,032
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit
    In '03 Giant beefed up the AC frames.
    You beat me to it.

  33. #33
    Bad Case of the Mondays
    Reputation: Jdub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,001
    Quote Originally Posted by kitchenware
    03 and 04 are exactly the same frame, aside from the posibility of colors being diff.
    I went to Supergo today at lunch and checked them out. Looks to me like the 04's have a slightly smaller rocker arm, which makes them have slightly less travel (I think like 6.3 compared to 6.5). The frames certainly look identical and I'm sure you could get the new rocker if you really wanted it.

    I ended up not getting one (at least not today). Really wanted to, but my 4 inch bike seems to be enough for me right now. I decided I'd rather have a new fork on my current trailbike than to get this frame and keep my old 100mm fork. I'm struggling mightily getting up the climbs out here as is, just didn't think I could do it on a 35lb bike.

Similar Threads

  1. Mountain Bike Spring Rate Calculator V5.0
    By FireDog46 in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-16-2013, 08:46 PM
  2. Mountain Bike Spring Rate Calculator V4.0
    By FireDog46 in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-29-2004, 06:34 PM
  3. Mountain Bike Gear Ratio Calculator V4.0
    By FireDog46 in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-29-2004, 10:57 AM
  4. Mountain Bike Spring Rate Calculator V4.0
    By FireDog46 in forum Canadian Bikes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-29-2004, 10:28 AM
  5. Mountain Bike Gear Ratio Calculator V4.0
    By FireDog46 in forum Canadian Bikes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-29-2004, 10:27 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •