mtbr member
    Nov 2008

FYI Bear on Falcon Trail

I was out for a serene evening bike ride today, when it was interrupted by a large black bear on the trail. The bear was spotted about 1-1.5 miles south of the stadium overflow parking lot.

More specifically, it was spotted in the portion between Road 402 and Douglas Drive, near the top of the hill on the west side of the trail. See the image below.

Just wanted to give you a head up since I stopped 25-30 feet from the bear. I slowly backed away while it watched me. Once it was out of sight, I turned around and booked back down the trail and took the roads back to the car.

killin clear creek
    Did you get his license plate ##??? I hope you informed him that he was illegally using a people trail & was in conflict with the JCOS travel management plan? Man... there's violators everywhere lately!!
    Quote Originally Posted by thump View Post
    How about we take the "let it burn approach" with the rotting cesspool of the Denver metro?

mtbr member
    Did you let security know on your way out the gate?
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by backcountryislife
    Did you get his license plate ##??? I hope you informed him that he was illegally using a people trail & was in conflict with the JCOS travel management plan? Man... there's violators everywhere lately!!
    There is one place where JCOS has absolutely NO authority whatsoever... and that would be the US Air Force Academy, where this happened.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

killin clear creek
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh
    There is one place where JCOS has absolutely NO authority whatsoever... and that would be the US Air Force Academy, where this happened.
    How DARE you question the authority of JCOS!!!!!

(ok, never ridden down there, I don't even know where that is... sorry )
    How about we take the "let it burn approach" with the rotting cesspool of the Denver metro?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by backcountryislife
    How DARE you question the authority of JCOS!!!!!

(ok, never ridden down there, I don't even know where that is... sorry )
    Well, first, it's a federal installation, though El Paso county does have concurrent jurisdiction, but you'd deal with USAF security first.

JCOS? They WISH they had as much authority; the base commander can - at his or her discretion - close the Falcon Trail, close it to non-military or make it MTB or hiker or even bear only just by saying so. Can you imagine JCOS with that kind of power??
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Did you let security know on your way out the gate?
    Negative. They were slammed letting cars in. I did send an email via the contact us link on the USAFA website.

killin clear creek
    Can you imagine JCOS with that kind of power??

Well, for god sake, DO NOT tell them that these things are possible... they'll be telling the bears which way to walk on apex before you know it!!!

I'm with stupid
    He was in a few spots there tonight. In future you can call the SF desk at 719-333-2000 to report things of this nature or if there is any problem. Just a FYI

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Good to know. I'll have to put that in my phone since it is one of my regular rides.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I saw this bear as well, he had a "thug" type of look about him and I think his girlfriend shuttles him.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Yes, yes. But was this bear in a wooded area? If so, was he dropping a deuce? And if so, did you explain to him that though we all expect him to do this, we would prefer that he not soil the trail?
    Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.

Light freak
    Originally posted by INCOGKNEETOE
    I saw this bear as well, he had a "thug" type of look about him and I think his girlfriend shuttles him.
    Now that was damn funny!