mtbr member

The future: Just draw and print your bike...

A few of us were talking about this on the Beerd Belly ride today, and I thought it's interesting enough to share with all- this is some crazy stuff. I know a little about 3D printing, but not much. This is just the tip of the iceberg...

3D printed stainless steel and carbon fiber bike Ponoko – Blog

Oh, So Interesting!
    3D printing is going to revolutionize small scale and custom manufacturing. I had no idea the technology had progressed that much though... thanks for posting.

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by davec113 View Post
    3D printing is going to revolutionize small scale and custom manufacturing. I had no idea the technology had progressed that much though... thanks for posting.

LaserCUSING sounds promising... but for bikes, I have to ask "why"? bling? where is snauzers.... I bet he's already placed an order?

Concept Laser
    The technology

In the metal laser melting process, standard commercial batch materials in powder form are locally fused by a high-energy fibre laser.
    During the laser process, the one-component metal powder is completely fused. Following setting, the material solidifies. This means
    that the finished component is provided with almost ideal material properties.
    The contour of the component is produced by directing the laser beam using a mirror deflecting unit (scanner). The component is built
    up layer by layer by lowering the bottom of the installation space, applying more powder and melting again.
    The process offers the following advantages:
    Freedom of geometry complex component geometries or component geometries which cannot be produced by conventional means
    can be produced without using any tools with the laser melting process. There are no limits on the fabrication of components with
    hollow or grid structures on the inside with this technology.
    green technology - The LaserCUSING process is a production process which produces almost no waste. Metal powder which has
    not been melted can be fully reused without any material being lost for further processes.
    Furthermore, the laser process is almost emission-free. Thanks to the high level of efficiency of the laser systems which are used at
    Concept Laser, the energy which is introduced is efficiently converted into working capacity.
    Near net shape The production of components with a near-net-shape or ready-to-install geometry shortens the fabrication time and
    saves costs.

FWIW... 3D printing just doesn't sound "right". It's not paper mache.