Thread: Funk Cycles

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Funk Cycles

As I've stated in 2 other threads, I'm going to be in denver soon and I thought I'd stop by this shop if there was anything to see. I don't really want to bug them, so I thought I'd bug you all, instead.

Is there any reason to stop by the shop to look at the La Ruta or is it just a working area with not much but custom fabrication stuff to look at?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Maybe I didn't state my question clearly. I don't want to stop by the shop if the shop is only a custom fab area. The people will be working on bike frames (I assume), and I don't want to bother them.

If there is some type of a showroom where I can look at a frame or two, or if you think it wouldn't be rude to just show up at the shop, please let me know.

I just don't want to bug guys when I'm just browsing to see the work, if there isn't really any examples lying around. I'd think it would be annoying to them.

Thanks

skillz to pay billz
    funkcycles@hotmail.com

If you want to tour this guys garage just email him
    Last edited by nOOby; 06-30-2010 at 04:27 PM.

Now with 20% more fat!!
    I got a great opportunity to hang out with Daryl Funk while my BlackSheep was being built. Daryl was getting some help from James on a Funk utility bike to carry water for the third world (the EcoTruk.) Anyway, Daryl is a great guy and I'm sure if you want to talk with him or ask him questions or look at his bikes, he'll make it happen. I'd listen to nOOby and just fire Funk an email.

Dumpster Diver
    Interesting, I've emailed Daryl three times and VM twice and I haven't gotten a response. I heard he still had decals for his older bikes and I've been after a set. Perhaps he doesn't want to be bothered about his old stuff.

panhndl, if you get in touch or stop by his shop would you please pm me?
    Stuart

wanted: TA Chainrings, FUNK Big Fork, Bullseye Cranks 176mm,

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I'll do ya one better. I'll get you a some stickers if I make it by and he has some and he'll give em to me.

What's your pertinent bike info to tell him?

Dumpster Diver
    That would be fantastic. If he has a complete set for sale and you purchase them for me, I'll reimburse you. I have a 1991 FUNK Pro Comp. Thank you much panhndl!
    Stuart

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Not a problem.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Hmm...does ne1 have the address? I can't find it.

Dumpster Diver
    #(303) 817-6523. P.O. Box 1039 Englewood, CO. 80150.
    Stuart

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I've called, done a reverse lookup on the phone number, emailed, and searched in the local yellow and white pages, but without a physical address, I cannot stop by :-(

mtbr member
    May 2005

Funk!

Big D is in Africa I think to the end of the month working on the Zambance project.
    If you want to chat about my two month old laruta shoot me an email with your number and I can call you. I LOVE my LaRuta!
    -alex
    Perfect number of bikes (n) + 1

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Yeah, he's out of town. I'll be headed back to Denver on about the 28th. Hopefully I can do a better job of planning prior to my run up. For some idiotic reason, I thought they'd have a physical address on their website so I could come into the lab and see all their cool toys, but alas, I was wrong.

David, from Funk Cycles, has been replying to the emails, and I'll try to get something more concrete set up with them between now and the end of the month so I don't strike out again.

Sorry Yetified. If you don't manage to come up with a set of stickers before the end of the month, I'll do my best to obtain them in a couple weeks.

Dumpster Diver
    panhndl, Not a problem. Is Funk in Denver? I appreciate you taking the time.
    Stuart

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    He's still in Africa. He'll be back towards the end of the month.

Funk cycles is located in the Denver metro area.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Hey all,

Sorry I didn't check this sooner. Yes, Daryl is out of town until the end of July. He's doing humanitarian work in Africa. We're in the process of transitioning a few things like operations, new website (look for that soon) and a few other things. There is no real showroom but for anyone interested in the Denver area, I'm happy to show you the bike and even go for a test ride with you.

Thanks
    Dave
    funkcycles@hotmail.com
    303-817-6523

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

LaRuta

A quick pic of the ride.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Dumpster Diver
    Thank you panhndl for starting this thread and thank you Dave for chiming in, vm sent!

Cheers,
    Stuart

Front Range Cyclist
    As stated above, Daryl is often in Africa for up to 6 months at a time. His real passion these days is the utility bikes and helping Zambikes out with engineering/teaching/overseeing bamboo bikes in 3rd world countries. He'll still make bikes and if you get a chance to talk bikes with him it's really fun, but he is very difficult to get ahold of.
    In the immortal words of Socrates..."I drank what?"

Facebook.com/monstercrosser
    Twitter: @monstercrosser

mtbr member
    May 2005

Funk Singlespeed!

So I already had the geared and just got this sliding chainstay version for singlespeed! So far so good- I tried and tried to get the chain to drop- ran low pressure with the propedal off and she rocked!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Funk Cycles-ssfunkweb.jpg  

Perfect number of bikes (n) + 1