mtbr member

Fun races to attend...

Looking to get into some racing this spring/summer/fall and was wondering what you all would recommend as far as races that are laid back, with fun in mind. I'm in the front range but have no problem with going over to the western slope if it's worth it.

I'm in good shape, I ride almost everyday whether it's commuting or on the local single track. I've been riding my SS Spot a lot lately and wouldn't mind trying a race in SS mode either.

Well, thanks, and let me know if you know of anything coming up!

pedal me happy
    Oct 2009
    Check out the Rockymountain endurance series they do cx length races and longer if
    your up for it also the Winter park series is really hard to beat with the quality of courses
    and are the best run events I've been in and the price is the best deal out there.

Addicted to Dirt
    These races have the most fun, laid back atmosphere, not to mention incredible riding. No offense to eatsleepbikes but these are the best deal out there, i.e. free-ish (though you do pay in blood, sweat and tears)

Colorado Endurance Series | Endurance riding in Americas beer and fitness capitol

mtbr member
    Sand Creek has a thread with a link to the 2014 schedule.
    2014 KMC Colorado MTB Race Calendar

I have done many of these races over the years, and all, or most are great fun. Mostly racing in CO depends on when you are available, and how far you want to drive.

Also check into the mountain towns for local racing. there is racing in Summit, Vail, and up here in Steamboat during the week that's low key, great courses with smaller local trails, and fast locals.

The 5th knuckle
    Second for the RME's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernando Gutierrez
    The only thing you have to figure out is don't fall down. To keep riding the bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quick drive up to Laramie, WY and there's an awesome series in the summer that's cheap but pretty darn competitive! Home | LMBS

The RME events are good, but IMO very expensive. $70 a pop for a XC length race gets hard to swallow (yet I did 3 of them last year, haha!)

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    singletrack, cheap, laidback. Pick two because you won't get all three. In some cases you might only get one. Some of the RME races are at a good venues and some of them not so much. $70 to race bear creek and ridgeline is comical to me. In their defense though, Jeffco will never let anyone race on any of the other trails here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrock450 View Post
    singletrack, cheap, laidback. Pick two because you won't get all three. In some cases you might only get one. Some of the RME races are at a good venues and some of them not so much. $70 to race bear creek and ridgeline is comical to me. In their defense though, Jeffco will never let anyone race on any of the other trails here.
    True spoken wisdom !

I'll add....racing is not fun, it's work. Racing/laid back, a contradiction in terms here in Colorado, very serious stuff here !!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by danaco View Post
    True spoken wisdom !

I'll add....racing is not fun, it's work. Racing/laid back, a contradiction in terms here in Colorado, very serious stuff here !!
    Serious as in the people or the terrain? I don't believe that racing can't be fun. Sure, it's work but so is riding in general. For example, the ice race in Evergreen last weekend. That was a fun race! A lot of people hung out afterwords to shoot the ****, eat pizza and drink beer which is always plus.

mtbr member
    The Summit Mtn Challenge series has a laid back and fun karma. While the terrain can be challenging and the competition is fast, the racing was all good.

Events | Welcome to MavSports.com
    Last edited by calzonical; 02-02-2014 at 05:17 AM.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The Firecracker is a big race, but is about as festive (the race leads off the 4th of July parade) and fun as they come. Pretty intense competition at the from of the pack, but everyone else is is pretty laid back, plus there is usually plenty of entertainment out on the course.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ohcaras View Post
    Serious as in the people or the terrain? I don't believe that racing can't be fun. Sure, it's work but so is riding in general. For example, the ice race in Evergreen last weekend. That was a fun race! A lot of people hung out afterwords to shoot the ****, eat pizza and drink beer which is always plus.
    Oh' just hav'in a little fun...I like the seriousness of the competition and the fun after it's over, it's all good ! I love it when racers get bent out of shape when you pass them or when they won't let you pass, hilarious !

mtbr member
    We have lots of fun racing on Wendsday nights up here in Steamboat, great Singletrack, hard competitors, but we maintain fun while we go till we puke. Most of the time we all know where we will finish in the pack so everyone is well mannered, and nobody wants to hold back their friends so passing is allowed if you know the guy behind you is going to beat you anyway.

The website isn't updated for 2014, but come give us a try.

Steamboat Town Challenge :: Town Challenge Race Series