Bad Andy

full susp bike suggestions for 6'4" 260 lb rider

I have a riding buddy that is considering going full susp, but is kinda scared he'll break the bike.
    He's 6'4" and 260 lbs.
    He is also poor-ish, and can't afford any crazy expensive stuff. I would guess budget around $1k.
    What would be your suggestions on reliable xc rides in this price range for him?

mtbr member
    Try this forum. These folks should some ideas.

http://forums.mtbr.com/clydesdales-tall-riders/

MTB B'dos
    A TANK

Seriously if $1000 is his budget he should stick to a good solid HT. Loads of them available, only crappy $1k FS bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    A TANK

Seriously if $1000 is his budget he should stick to a good solid HT. Loads of them available, only crappy $1k FS bikes.
    +1

Oh, So Interesting!
    Demo 9?

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

mtbr member
    $1000 is tough. At about $1500 (or a bit less) Haro, Mongoose and others start to offer solid FS bikes targeted at rough riding. Such bikes should be able to handle your buddy. But there is always the chance to break something. Depends not only on weight but also on technique and terrain.
    "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit." - And I agree.

Rocket Scientist
    For a DH bike, I'd suggest an '04 Yeti DH9 Size large. Those frames were huge! Would probly be perfect for a guy that size. for an XC/FR ride, maybe a Large or XL Santa Cruz Nomad? My buddy SylentK has nomad and he's about 6'3 but no where near 260lbs. I think he weighs a buck 'O 5 - JK? . Sorry Ryan. It's been a great bike for him. Maybe he will chime in here. Of course, that's no where near your friends budget of 1k.

Bad Andy
    The $1k figure was just a guesstimate by me. I figured if I could get some good ideas here for him, I'd forward a link to this thread to him, and try to convince him to go higher. I don't see him going over $2k though.
    Thanks for the suggestions so far, keep 'em comin'!

mtbr member
    Probably out of his price range but...just tell him to go for the 575..I'm 6'1..270
    lemme tell ya it's a stout frame, i've been riding it for almost 2 years now..taken it to Keystone and WP and it's held up nicely under my fat arse.

wanna be
    Heckler with a stout freehub/wheel. Big guys can turn lesser pawls to dust in one pedal stroke. At 5-10 1/2 252 I have had good luck with my 05 heckler after desroying many lesser frames, spend more now, save later
    mario

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmariow
    Heckler with a stout freehub/wheel. Big guys can turn lesser pawls to dust in one pedal stroke. At 5-10 1/2 252 I have had good luck with my 05 heckler after desroying many lesser frames, spend more now, save later
    mario
    I am 6 foot 6 inches, 235 lbs and have tried out a lot of bikes. I would say for the budget, he might want to look in to a nicely set up hardtail, especially if he is just getting in to it. If not, I would have to agree that a Heckler would be a good way to go.

I ride an XL 07 Santa Cruz Heckler with DHX Air 5 and Float RLC. Now that is deffinetley going to be out of his budget, but if he is willing to bump that number to the $2000 or below range, he can start out with a Heckler in a "D kit" and if he decides he likes it, he can always upgrage. For a couple hundred dollars less, he could also go Santa Cruz Superlight with a "D Kit". Whats nice about both of these is that they are single pivot simple designs that perform like no other, which also means long run cheaper maintenance. The Heckler is just a little more burly in build.

You may also want to have him look in to a Specialized "Pitch".

Give Bob or Nial a call at Mojo Wheels and ask them what they can do, I am willing to bet they will hook your buddy up with a damn good deal. Tell them Rick from the Springs sent you.

Good luck, getting buddies to take the plunge is always the hard part. But once they are on their own ride, its cake from there.

mtbr member
    Tell him to buy a full suspension clearnce bike. That might pull down the price of a higher end (whatever end it is) into his price range. A more risky route would be to buy a higher end bike that is a few years older. Beware that he'd have to do a lot of homework to make sure the bike wasn't beat to death or has any other flaws.

I got lucky and found a Mongoose Teocali Super, fitted with SRAM X.9, Avid Juicy 7s, Fox TALAS fork, and Fox RP3 rear, and other good components for $1250.

...and heed the advice above, get make sure the bike comes with a strong rear hub. I'm 230lbs and have gone through a fair share myself....

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dauwalt
    ...and heed the advice above, get make sure the bike comes with a strong rear hub. I'm 230lbs and have gone through a fair share myself....
    Absolutely!!!

..ouch
    Price will still be an issue, but a used Turner RFX would be a great clydesdale trailbike.

If your friend likes to do any drops/jumps I would suggest he avoids an airshock. Given the amount of pressure he'll have to use to set correct sag the suspension will feel harsh and durability becomes an issue. At 250 myself I've destroyed an airshock in just one day of demoing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I have a buddy, similar sized, who bought an Iron Horse (don't know the model offhand) on closeout from Performance for $599 (I think) its kinda heavy but it has 5" front and rear. He came out from the midwest with a hardtail and this thing's been going regularly twice a week for around a year.

Most would prefer to patronize the LBS, but at pricepoints like this the big box stores come in handy. If you time it right you can get a pretty good deal on their stuff.

friend of Apex
    6'4"..260LBS

try big wheelz, DemO a 29er
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

mtbr member
    Everything else being equal (same rim model, materials, etc)...aren't bigger rims inherently weaker, flexier, etc??
    Phillipians 2:3-8 "...but (Christ) made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant..."

fyyff
    Have him look at a Rocky Mountain Slayer or a Kona Dawg, in addition to the others mentioned. I believe they have (had?) build kits with coil spring suspensions. He can always swap out to beefier springs for his weight.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    reign x1/2

hehe ...you said "member"
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeCOLORADO
    Everything else being equal (same rim model, materials, etc)...aren't bigger rims inherently weaker, flexier, etc??
    I've heard the same from a few guys - spoke failure is an issue on 29'' wheels with heavier riders.
    I'm 6'7" 240 lbs. After breaking 2 frames last year (both times climbing, not on a drop or big hit) I was looking for a beefier bike. 2 years earlier, I was in the same spot as the OP's friend. I bought a "entry level" Trek fuel 80 - just to see if I would like mountainbiking. As I began to ride more/harder, I quickly outgrew the bike and had to upgrade. I know buying that first bike requires a leap of faith regarding the sticker shock, but my advice would be to have your friend start with a sturdier frame atleast, and upgrade components with time.
    Also, with taller riders, I find the head tube angle and front travel are especially important for feeling comfortable on the bike when going downhill. Taller riders are forced to sit higher on the bike and the rake of the front wheel makes all the difference in keeping your buddy from going OTB.
    “Me fail english? Thats unpossible.” - Matt Groening

mtbr member
    Meet Gene...he's 6' 3" and around 250...very happy with his Heckler.

Phillipians 2:3-8 "...but (Christ) made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant..."

The Notorious S.L.O

I was in the same place as your friend two years ago...

6'5" and then 265lbs, I had done alot of research and the SC Heckler was the best choice that I found, but it was going to be about double your budget estimate.

I was presented with a screaming deal at Perfromance in lakewood in Dec 05, they had their last Giant, a 22.5 in NRS, stickered at $1299.99, that the sales manager offered it to me for $800.00. I grabbed it up.
    I ride 3-4 times a week, don't hold back, but then I am a traditional XC rider, no hucking or huge drops for me, but I do hit the occasional 18-24in obstacle. The multiple point suspension is serving me well, but if I had a tendancy for more air under the tires, I would probably need something more like the Heckler.
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.
    "All I need is.......two wheels and the truth."

Bad Andy
    He has been riding a few years already, and currently has a hard tail Spec. (Hard Rock?). But was thinking about upgrading and/or going with better wheelset. He has had problems with spokes and wheels. He figured if he was going to spend the money on that, why not at least consider upgrading everything.
    We have another friend with a used Heckler - maybe they can work a deal and the other guy can buy another new bike he's always looking to spend more $ on bikes!!
    Thanks again for all the suggestions.
    Will forward him this thread now.
    Maybe we'll have a new MTBR member, if so - look for screen name THE GIANT. That's what we call him (he likes it).