Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PSLICE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    67

    FTC - Shoreline Trail

    Does anyone out there have any information about the recent complete and total sanitization of shoreline trail in the Fort? I know that the trail is maintained by the county rather that by FCNA and has had some very beneficial work done to it over the past few years to reroute or otherwise shore up degraded sections. Not all of this work was popular but up to this point it could mostly be considered improvement from a sustainability standpoint. Recently a crew managed to totally remove the only real "technical" portion of the trail. Rocks that have held the trail in place and prevented erosion are gone leaving a surface that will almost certainly wash out after a few rains. Shoreline can hardly be considered a technical trail but at this point I wouldn't be surprised if the next time I ride it the upper staircase were removed and the trail covered in pea gravel. I'm honestly interested to know what the overall plan is for the trail.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pulser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,619
    I am kind of wondering the same thing. I know Overland Mountain Bike club was doing work on reservoir ridge but I don't know if they did the work on shoreline. And whats up with stopping you for riding over the rock at the other end going to the swim beach?

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bikepunk13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by pulser View Post
    I am kind of wondering the same thing. I know Overland Mountain Bike club was doing work on reservoir ridge but I don't know if they did the work on shoreline. And whats up with stopping you for riding over the rock at the other end going to the swim beach?
    I believe it was the county that did the "sanitation" of the foothills (shoreline) trail not Overland. I think they removed the stuff because the trail is heavy multi-use and people probably complained about the rocks. When I was helping some of the guys from OMBC do the work on Reservoir Ridge people (hikers and runners) thought we were taking rocks out of the trail (to smooth it out) and were disappointed when they found out we were building more not removing. People want to have nice smooth trails of paved dirt...

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pulser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,619
    Quote Originally Posted by bikepunk13 View Post
    I believe it was the county that did the "sanitation" of the foothills (shoreline) trail not Overland. I think they removed the stuff because the trail is heavy multi-use and people probably complained about the rocks. When I was helping some of the guys from OMBC do the work on Reservoir Ridge people (hikers and runners) thought we were taking rocks out of the trail (to smooth it out) and were disappointed when they found out we were building more not removing. People want to have nice smooth trails of paved dirt...
    Cool thanx I didn't know who did it. My guess by the way things have been on that trail its only going to continue. I guess I understand seeing how its a heavily used trail by allot of people that have no idea how to ride. I'm surprised Maxwell has stayed as technical as it is.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    217
    What sections were changed? I didn't ride in the last couple of weeks, but I liked the features of that trail, even thought I find it positively challenging. As an intermediate rider, Maxwell and the shoreline trails were very helpful in advancing my skills.
    2009 Stumpjumper Comp HT.
    An old Trek 820 ST.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    67
    does anyone now if sawmill is going to get cleaned up? I will help if its on a weekend. looks like rain horses and maybe a race have it all chopped up. I dismounted a lot more then I ever have last weekend on sawmill trail.

  7. #7
    Recovering
    Reputation: jbogner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,483
    I did a night ride last week on Maxwell/Shoreline and didn't find any sections to be significantly easier than usual, but then again I pretty much only ride that trail at night. Where is this sanitized section?
    Former New Yorker, now in Fort Collins
    http://www.nycmtb.com

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dr Wankel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    200
    They pulled some of the bigger rocks out of a few of the chunkier sections between the reroute and the swim beach. There wasn't any one spot that really jumped out at me as being drastically different on the way down but it was definitely smoother through the rougher sections. The changes were more apparent to me on the climb back out, than they were going down...but then again its been well over a month since I've ridden it so the details weren't exactly fresh in my mind either.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PSLICE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    67
    I spoke with the county trails supervisor today. He confirmed what I think we all knew already that Overland wasn't doing the most recent work. One of the areas that sticks out in my mind as being unnecessarily removed was that spot going south where your choice was the "V" on the right or the little ledge up on the left followed by another larger ledge up a few feet later.

    He'd been out for the past couple of weeks and hadn't seen this work personally but he is planning on taking a look. In general his concerns regarding trails are sustainability, drainage, and safety. That said they aren't out there trying to buff out all of the trails and there is no larger management plan for Shoreline (Foothills Trail) that prescribes hard trail/pea gravel, etc. although I did find out that this is being considered for other more heavily used trail sections in the region (DBB). It was a good conversation and it was obvious that public feedback was welcomed and appreciated.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pulser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,619
    Quote Originally Posted by PSLICE View Post
    I spoke with the county trails supervisor today. He confirmed what I think we all knew already that Overland wasn't doing the most recent work. One of the areas that sticks out in my mind as being unnecessarily removed was that spot going south where your choice was the "V" on the right or the little ledge up on the left followed by another larger ledge up a few feet later.

    He'd been out for the past couple of weeks and hadn't seen this work personally but he is planning on taking a look. In general his concerns regarding trails are sustainability, drainage, and safety. That said they aren't out there trying to buff out all of the trails and there is no larger management plan for Shoreline (Foothills Trail) that prescribes hard trail/pea gravel, etc. although I did find out that this is being considered for other more heavily used trail sections in the region (DBB). It was a good conversation and it was obvious that public feedback was welcomed and appreciated.
    That would suck for DBB I know people really like that trail. I personally don't ride it much but I hate to see trails changed in big ways.

Similar Threads

  1. CT SHORELINE trails?
    By SuzukiGS750EZ in forum Connecticut, Rhode Island
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-09-2012, 06:58 PM
  2. Found: Light on Shoreline 9/29/11
    By Dr Wankel in forum Colorado - Front Range
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-29-2011, 08:21 PM
  3. Shoreline trail completion - SLC?
    By Summit in forum Utah
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-30-2011, 08:55 AM
  4. Maxwell & Shoreline
    By pippinr in forum Colorado - Front Range
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-30-2011, 01:28 PM
  5. Bonneville Shoreline-SLC
    By NorwegianRepresentative in forum Utah
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-18-2011, 03:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •