mtbr member

FTC locals - good spot for girlfriend introduction

Well my girlfriend seems to like to ride the roads and has some strong @ss legs to boot. I just picked up an entry level full suspension bike for her to start riding trail with me, anyone got any suggestions as to where to begin?

So far we've ridden coyote ridge and devils backbone, but she was not too fond of all the rocks so I was hoping to find something a bit more flowy, but still singletrack. Right now she lasts about 1.5 hours, then begins to fatigue, so if anyone has any good suggestions to slowly get her up to par, I'm all ears.

I was hoping to find something like Lair O' the Bear LOTB up in this area, someone mentioned some of the trails in Lowry but I'm not to familiar with them as I moved up from Boulder and have been riding mostly down that way; Hall, Walker, LOTB, Evergreen, Green Mtn., etc.

Looking for some smooth stuff to start her out on, something that has ups and down so that she gets use to riding and gets use to her bike before I introduce her to the grueling goods. Thanks in advance!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Shameless Plug Time:

If you are looking for some new gear, I'm using some of my hardtail parts to build her a budget full suspension. I took off a good portion of the parts that came on her bike to resell new and keep my costs down just in case she doesn't enjoy riding singletrack. I listed them on here and paid for the ad, so technically this isn't a shameless plug, and I'd rather see the parts go to locals at these prices rather than elsewhere.

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...?product=32154

slow
    Valley trails in Lory State Park (East Valley, West Valley, South Valley)
    Valley trails in Horsetooth Mountain Park (Nomad, Shoreline)
    Blue Sky
    Pineridge Open Space
    Hewlett Gulch up Poudre Canyon

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    We're going to needs some pictures of your girlfriend to make sure you're getting her setup right. Said pictures do not need to include a bike.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

pain intolerant
    Apr 2006

Bobcat too

+1 to what sgltrack said

Also consider Bobcat Ridge. There's a nice valley ride (my wife's favorite trail). You can't ride the whole loop due to raptor nesting, but it's still worth it.

And if she's feeling her oats, you can take her up Ginny. Ginny is pretty smooth (with a few exceptions) for about the first two miles. If she starts to get frustrated on Ginny, turn around and ride down BEFORE she starts cursing you!

"Oldfart from Wayback"

The closure has been lifted

Quote Originally Posted by jradin
    +1 to what sgltrack said

Also consider Bobcat Ridge. There's a nice valley ride (my wife's favorite trail). You can't ride the whole loop due to raptor nesting, but it's still worth it.
    The eagles moved on without nesting so the loop is open.

Dadd's Gulch up the Poudre, Mount Margaret trail at Red Feathers, to go with the others already named.

If you're already driving to Den/Boulder and beyond, you might as well head north to Cheyenne/Laramie for some more riding of all levels

The Happy Jack network would be perfect but there might still be some snow.
    Curt Gowdy SP near Cheyenne has everything from easy to expert.

Your retarded
    Quote Originally Posted by DWF
    We're going to needs some pictures of your girlfriend to make sure you're getting her setup right. Said pictures do not need to include a bike.
    That sounds dirty and completely NSFW.
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

holding back the darkness
    +1 for blue sky, ridden from the Soderberg trailhead.
    Maxwell and Shoreline near the Reservoir.
    +1 for Bobcat, but resist the temptation to do Ginny!
    Old Flowers road/Monument Gulch (longer, fireroadish...)

I took my wife (then gf) to horsetooth on our first ride. It was a disaster. Whatever you do, let her be the one that suggests progression to more difficult trails!
    **** censorship

mtbr member
    If your doing blue sky add in indeain summer too. She can can do the climb up the gravel side and come back down the single track. Im doing it in a hour and 5min but that really flying on the way out and the way back. if you take your time an hour and a half is totally easy to do.

mtbr member
    Pump track?

nevermind

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by timroz
    Pump track?

nevermind
    Ha ha...

Thanks for the references on the trails guys!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Flowy trails in Fort Collins........I still think they are a myth.

They are called the rockies for a reason.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Second that. The valley trails in Lory.
    11 Epic Expert 29er
    Blacksheep SS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trimess
    Flowy trails in Fort Collins........I still think they are a myth.

They are called the rockies for a reason.
    Although rather mellow in elevation +/-, Valley trails in Lory State Park (East Valley, West Valley, South Valley) are super FLOWY!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    True, but I am talking downhill flow.
    Something like the chutes in Colorado Springs (nice burms, minimal rocks, you can just feel it), which I have yet to find here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak
    Valley trails in Lory State Park (East Valley, West Valley, South Valley)
    Valley trails in Horsetooth Mountain Park (Nomad, Shoreline)
    Blue Sky
    Pineridge Open Space
    Hewlett Gulch up Poudre Canyon
    Thanks again for the valley trails reference, she was super stoked on them! I think a few more 10-15 mile trips on those trails she'll be ready to step up to something with elevation +/-. On that note, I tried to get her to go up Kimmons and then to come back down Timber just to get a taste of up and down riding and she freaked out...mainly with balance issues at a slow pace and going over off camber rock formations. Any suggestions for a beginner uphill and down hill trail to get her use to riding singletrack on a slope? I think she gets nervous going over rocks, and has a hard time with balance going up...it's strange because she rides pretty fast on the valley trails and the few drop downs or berms that there are, she handles easily. I'm thinking it's the fear factor of the steep slope... I'd like to find something that's similar to the LOTB trail to get her use to climbing and decending. Singletrack but smooth and not too sketchy. I have a feeling my work is cut out for me

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trimess
    True, but I am talking downhill flow.
    Something like the chutes in Colorado Springs (nice burms, minimal rocks, you can just feel it), which I have yet to find here.
    Only place I've found that is in the Pacific Northwest when I lived there.

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by Colo.Josh
    ... Any suggestions for a beginner uphill and down hill trail to get her use to riding singletrack on a slope? ...
    Try Indian Summer Loop off Blue Sky Trail. Go in from the HTMP Soderburg lot and do it out and back.

Arriving Somewhere
    Mar 2007
    My gf and I enjoyed going up Michaud, looping around on Foothills, and back down. That was about our 5th ride though. She enjoyed it, even on an old hardtail.