Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Colo.Josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    152

    Ft. Collins/Loveland Area?

    I might be moving up that way for a job opportunity and I'm curious what type of accessability there is for singletrack? I primarily ride trail, but also enjoy DH from time to time. I know there's no lift access stuff, but is there any trails that are fun to shred on the bigger bikes?

    If not, no worries, just want to know if there's some good trails up that way to have fun on with the AM bike.

    Thanks!!!

    Josh

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,309

    plenty

    Ginni (Bobcat), HTMP, Coyote/Rimrock/Bluesky (across the street), Pineridge/Maxwell/Shorline/Foothills. Then there's Glen Haven area...Round Mtn, etc

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Colo.Josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    152
    wow... looks like more trails than what I'm currently use to lol... sweet!!!

  4. #4
    holding back the darkness
    Reputation: subliminalshiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,712
    Do it. You won't be disappointed. Depending on what you're into you can ride to the trails from home. A brief car ride will get you into lots more. There aren't any lift-serviced areas nearby , but keystone and winter park are a couple hours away- depending on where you're coming from you might be driving that to cool trails anyway.... In this area the ticket seems to be to find your self a nice sturdy bike in the 5-6inch front and rear range, one that does good going down but won't kill you going up. Ventanas, Yetis, Santa Cruz's seem to be popular... just for reference. Click my signature for some more info on rides in the area and some Google Earth maps if your looking to get a little more stoke....
    **** censorship

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    41

    And many other percs...

    Let's not forgot New Belgium brewery plus a bevy of other cool hongouts. You've got to have a place to meet after the trail!

    Hey Shiver, I'm thinking about a recon mission up in the hills tomorrow. If you're not playing snow medic, give me a buzz.

  6. #6
    holding back the darkness
    Reputation: subliminalshiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,712
    Can't. Snow medic time at the basin. bring a gps.
    **** censorship

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Colo.Josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    152
    Quote Originally Posted by subliminalshiver
    In this area the ticket seems to be to find your self a nice sturdy bike in the 5-6inch front and rear range, one that does good going down but won't kill you going up. Ventanas, Yetis, Santa Cruz's seem to be popular... just for reference. ....
    Yeah I picked up a Giant Reign X.1 last fall, it's a superb ride but just a bit girthy...36lbs. I'm looking at making a few changes to get it closer to the 32 lb mark so that I have a stable bike that shreds on the downward slope and still can climb. I'll have to hook up with you guys for a few rides, anything in the lower elevations to get the lungs prepared for the upper areas once the snow melts?

    Where do you guys go boarding/skiing up there?

  8. #8
    holding back the darkness
    Reputation: subliminalshiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,712
    Quote Originally Posted by Colo.Josh
    anything in the lower elevations to get the lungs prepared for the upper areas once the snow melts?
    been riding pretty much all winter here with plenty of room to climb before things get wet/snowy.
    **** censorship

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Colo.Josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    152
    Quote Originally Posted by subliminalshiver
    been riding pretty much all winter here with plenty of room to climb before things get wet/snowy.
    I moved here last year, lived in CA, MT, OH, OR, WA, AZ, and a few other places for a short period of time and I have to say that this is the best state for combining economics with outdoor accessability. Montana is pristine, but hard to make a living up there... It kicks a$$ to live in a state where you can ride you can decide between a 2 hour drive to go board epic snow slopes, or drive 20-40 min. to go ride the bike.

    Are most the guys riding sub 30 lb bikes up there, xcish or are there some AM groups as well?

  10. #10
    holding back the darkness
    Reputation: subliminalshiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,712
    I'd say that there are definitely both elements here, but like I said, the 30lbs-ish bike that can do it all is rapidly becoming the tool to have.
    As a recovering XC-only guy I think the AM types are having more fun....
    **** censorship

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dauwalt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    366
    What are the best trails in the Ft. Collins area to get out of the wind. Is Horsetooth good for this since there are some trees? Is there still snow, or are the trails wet from the snow a few days ago?

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dancruz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    380
    I heard it's still pretty wet in areas..couple more days should work. Rode Backbone yesterday it was awsome...
    Just ride and quit bit$hin........
    SANTA CRUZ TALLBOY LT...SIR9-SS-....Supersix-EVO soon....

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by Colo.Josh
    Yeah I picked up a Giant Reign X.1 last fall, it's a superb ride but just a bit girthy...36lbs. I'm looking at making a few changes to get it closer to the 32 lb mark so that I have a stable bike that shreds on the downward slope and still can climb. I'll have to hook up with you guys for a few rides, anything in the lower elevations to get the lungs prepared for the upper areas once the snow melts?

    Where do you guys go boarding/skiing up there?
    I just moved to Fort Collins from Scotland. Also picked up a Reign x1 in Nov 2007. Its ok climbing most of the fire roads like horsetooth mountain park and the big one in Lory if you are prepared to take your time. I struggle a bit more on the technical climbs with the X1, like hall ranch for example but its worth the compromise. I've just changed the tires hoping to shave a bit of weight and rolling resistance.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Colo.Josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    152
    Quote Originally Posted by crankinirish
    I just moved to Fort Collins from Scotland. Also picked up a Reign x1 in Nov 2007. Its ok climbing most of the fire roads like horsetooth mountain park and the big one in Lory if you are prepared to take your time. I struggle a bit more on the technical climbs with the X1, like hall ranch for example but its worth the compromise. I've just changed the tires hoping to shave a bit of weight and rolling resistance.
    What tires did you pick up?

  15. #15
    Thread Terrorist
    Reputation: IndecentExposure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,836
    Quote Originally Posted by Colo.Josh
    Are most the guys riding sub 30 lb bikes up there, xcish or are there some AM groups as well?
    I'd say its a mixed bag. Whereas most of the riders have sub-30lb bikes, there is a bunch that have 30+ lb, with a few of us that ride 40lb bikes in a XC venue.
    Golden Bike Park Group

    Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

  16. #16
    Yeah, I'll Ride That
    Reputation: carneyam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by Colo.Josh
    I might be moving up that way for a job opportunity and I'm curious what type of accessability there is for singletrack? I primarily ride trail, but also enjoy DH from time to time. I know there's no lift access stuff, but is there any trails that are fun to shred on the bigger bikes?

    If not, no worries, just want to know if there's some good trails up that way to have fun on with the AM bike.

    Thanks!!!

    Josh
    I moved to FoCo a few months back and do similar riding to you. You won't be disappointed in the trails. Plenty to ride in Horsetooth Park, Lory SP, Blue Sky etc. Horsetooth (a 30 min ride from town or a 7 mile drive) has a fire road climb and then plenty of trails back down to get your shred on!

  17. #17
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: 2melow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,573
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure
    I'd say its a mixed bag. Whereas most of the riders have sub-30lb bikes, there is a bunch that have 30+ lb, with a few of us that ride 40lb bikes in a XC venue.
    Then there's some of us riding rigid 20 pound 29er singlespeeds
    Niner Bikes employee. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Niner-...3652275?ref=ts
    Front Range Forum Moderator

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dauwalt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    366
    Can someone give a quick update on the Ft. Collins/Loveland area trails for today, Saturday, May 3rd?

    It snowed in Laramie the last two days, and I'm wondering if that translated into rain and wet trails to the south.

    thanks!

  19. #19
    Bodhisattva
    Reputation: The Squeaky Wheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    9,607
    Quote Originally Posted by dauwalt
    Can someone give a quick update on the Ft. Collins/Loveland area trails for today, Saturday, May 3rd?

    It snowed in Laramie the last two days, and I'm wondering if that translated into rain and wet trails to the south.

    thanks!
    No precipitation here. We're dry.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

    ― Albert Einstein

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •