mtbr member

Ft. Collins conditions

Anyone out on trails this x-mas break that can give a report?
    I long for dirt, what's rideable?

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by sbsbiker View Post
    Anyone out on trails this x-mas break that can give a report?
    I long for dirt, what's rideable?
    I am an early bird and have ridden Coyote Ridge/Blue Sky/Indian Summer several times now since last Saturday and HTMP this morning. Trails are all really good provided you are done by 9:00- 9:30am. North facing slopes at HTMP are very snow packed still. Service road is good, snow packed in the usual spots and wathan is snow packed in the trees and north facing/shaded sections. I typically am on the trail right at sun rise (7:30) and it's starting to get soft by 9am the last few mornings with the warmer weather we are having. Don't plan on riding dirt after 10am, I bet it will be a sloppy mess.

The beauty of riding Coyote Ridge/Blue Sky is the sun isn't over that first hog back until 8:30 right now. Hard and frozen goodness.
    Last edited by 2melow; 12-26-2013 at 08:52 PM.
    Niner Bikes employee. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Niner-...3652275?ref=ts
    Front Range Forum Moderator

mtbr member
    Thanks but request get buried in that thread.
    Also thanks 2mellow for the answer.

mtbr member

Backbone not Ft. Collins

I rode Devil's Backbone yesterday afternoon (Thursday) and it's good to go. Dry somewhat packed but yet loose in some areas as always. On the trail about 3:00 and quite a few hikers out. So prolly not good for Strava PRs. Not enough time to drop in on Bluesky, so I don't know there. It's tucked in there pretty well so it could still be a frozen in the morning and custardly in the afternoon.

slow
    Stuff along the front side of the reservoir was OK early on Christmas Eve morning, but was getting soft later in the morning. Shoreline trail was in pretty decent shape and the west side of the Reservoir Ridge loop was OK. Best to ride early.

Edit: A riding friend was hiking in Hewlett Gulch yesterday and said it appears to be surprisingly rideable and dry, though the stream crossings have become more interesting with last summer's flooding.
    Last edited by sgltrak; 12-27-2013 at 06:43 AM. Reason: Add a trail

mtbr member
    The worst mud was down low, shoreline, and nomad had walking sections, but 95% rideable. Stout had some excellent snowpacked sections, and my first accent of tower was unexpectedly painful. The heat was awesome, 55+ deg on dec28, Indian summer had a few muddy spots, but easy to go around, blue sky excellent.

Abby Normal
    Blue Sky was a muddy mess yesterday (Dec 27) at around 11am, definitely needs more time to dry out unless you hit it in the early AM. Devils Backbone is good to go.

single track ****
    Rode timber-west ridge-howard yesterday(7:30-9:30am),and it was great mix of conditions, but would suck if ridden above freezing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Blue Sky was somewhat muddy for the first 1/4 mile from the north parking lot, but the rest was pretty good. Turned around a little past the creek crossing (by the big tree) on the south end where we ran into a group that said it wasn't worth going any further.

The south half of Indian Summer was dry, but the northern half was supposedly pretty muddy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Blue Sky was somewhat muddy for the first 1/4 mile from the north parking lot, but the rest was pretty good. Turned around a little past the creek crossing (by the big tree) on the south end where we ran into a group that said it wasn't worth going any further.

The south half of Indian Summer was dry, but the northern half was supposedly pretty muddy.
    yup. that was my group. The dbb connector was a greasy mess... we turned around pretty quick. The northern part of Indian was marginal. Coyote on the way back was pretty greasy as well (the west facing part).