Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    The Notorious S.L.O

Fruita on June 28-30, it is even doable?

my son returns to college in August, he really wants to ride Fruita, no option for going in October, too close to basketball season.

Is it going to be suface-of-the-Sun hot, or can we do it?

I have only been in March or October, so, I have no idea just how hot it would be that weekend.
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.
    "All I need is.......two wheels and the truth."

Except when I'm driving
    Mar 2012
    I used to live out there, we would ride all summer long. Yeah, it's hot and it can be dangerous if you aren't prepared but sure it's doable, pretty uncomfortable, but doable. I would expect highs around 100 with no shade at all. The mornings would be the best, probably in the 60s right when the sun comes up, and fairly nice temps until 10 in the morning or so. Drink plenty of water before you go out there, when you are riding and after you are done. Make sure you are eating good too, you can sweat out a lot of nutrients/minerals that you will need for the next day of riding. It was hard to ride more than 2-3 hours in the heat of the day, it does take a lot out of you.
    I'm bored and at work or else I would be riding

MK_
    carpe mañana
    Not looking good:
    Fruita, CO Weather Forecast from Weather Underground

Basially it's gonna be ~100F unless some weather moves in, in which case it may be wet. Wet and Fruita don't mix well.
    If you go, ride early and float on the CO river in the afternoon.

You could also check out stuff up on Grand Mesa but it won't be the Fruita experience you're after.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I'd talk him into something else.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    I'd talk him into something else.
    Nooooo! Don't talk him into anything else. Someday he's going to be busy with work, a wife, and kids. Accommodate his request to spend time with you where he wants to do it now.

The sun comes up before 5am at this time of year. Hit the trails at 5 and ride til 10. Fruita is so intense that I don't know many people who enjoy riding it for more than 5 hours at a time anyway.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    How about Crested Butte? Temps probably much more bearable...

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    Here's the way it will work: suck it up and go to Fruita, your kid really wants it. tell college student you need to get up at 5am. That leads to a super early 7am wake up, and you're riding by 8:30. By 10:30 you're fried and done with riding. By 3-4 pm you're freaking sick of the oven and you get in the car and drive to Telluride/Aspen/Crested Butte/Salida/Vail, get there and set up camp by dark, and ride the summer goods.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Has your son been to Salida? I have taken many people there and i have never heard one of them say they were disappointed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwhan View Post
    Here's the way it will work: suck it up and go to Fruita, your kid really wants it. tell college student you need to get up at 5am. That leads to a super early 7am wake up, and you're riding by 8:30. By 10:30 you're fried and done with riding. By 3-4 pm you're freaking sick of the oven and you get in the car and drive to Telluride/Aspen/Crested Butte/Salida/Vail, get there and set up camp by dark, and ride the summer goods.
    I take it you don't live in the same idealistic world that I do

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Get thee to CB.

Or To Hel! You Ride.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

The Notorious S.L.O
    We just were in CB, rode everything that was open 6/1-4, (which was limited). He really wants to ride Fruita, especially 18 road, not sure anything else will distract him.

We could probably go back to CB and not ride the same trails we did earlier, I will have to see that is a possiblity.
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by btadlock View Post
    He really wants to ride Fruita, especially 18 road, not sure anything else will distract him.
    Follow my plan.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    It's not the riding that won't work. As others said early, late or night riding. It's your middle of the day accomodations that matter. RV or motel, yes. Tent with no shade, hell no.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

lucky enough
    Quote Originally Posted by jugdish View Post
    It's your middle of the day accomodations that matter. RV or motel, yes. Tent with no shade, hell no.
    wise words.
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

mtbr member
    Agree with what was said before. I have ridden Fruita in early July, but we got up at the buttcrack of dawn to beat the heat. On the trail by 5:30-6, off by 9:30-10.

Aspen/Snowmass is a really cool, underrated place to ride. If you've already done CB, maybe check that out. If its rock features he wants, maybe take him to Gowdy? The granite up there is super fun to play on.

Either way, I think its great your college aged son wants to ride with you! Hope my kids feel the same way when they are that age.
    "Serves you right to suffer." -The Wife (after being 2 hours late)

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Durango

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    If it's rocks and heat you crave, go to Moab. Get up before dawn, ride till 10am, then head up into the La Sals and ride at 9,000 feet.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

I have Flat Pedal shame.
    Nov 2011
    I just rode 18 RD on Friday at ~2pm to 4pm. It was hot, but super fun and totally worth it. Sunscreen will be your friend. Put ice in your camelbaks. Stage a cooler at one of the trailheads for snacks/etc.

Go to Over the Edge bike shop (THE best bike shop I've ever been to), talk to Landon and get a map of the area from him. Even if you only do the PBR, it will be worth the trip. (I also rode Durango, Telluride, and Crested Butte on this trip... PBR was my favorite ride. Everything a mtn bike trail should be)
    I don't care what you ride or how you ride just as long as you ride.

The Notorious S.L.O
    Thanks for the responses, no luck in changing his mind, we are off to Fruita this weekend, booked a place for the RV w/pwr for the AC, planning to ride over by the Colorado on late Friday aft/eve and hit up 18 road same time on Sat.
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    booked a place for the RV w/pwr for the AC
    Which campground are you staying at? How close is it to the trails? Planning a trip out to Fruita in October...

The Notorious S.L.O
    Quote Originally Posted by w1kk3d View Post
    Which campground are you staying at? How close is it to the trails? Planning a trip out to Fruita in October...
    Looking for a place with full hook, close to Fruita.
    This place is 7 miles east of Fruita, 14 miles from the Loma exit for the Kokopelli trails.
    Junction West RV Park7
    93 22 Road
    Grand Junction, CO 81505 USA
    If I were going in October and AC was not a requirment, I would stay at Highline State Park. I have stayed there 5 times, either March or October, on previous trips.
    No hookups, real toliets and pay showers.
    Highline is ~4 miles from Kokopelli and ~8 from 18 road.
    This trip is the first on many levels, first time in June/July, first time with RV. (tent camped at Highline) and the first time the wife will be joining me.
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    ...planning to ride over by the Colorado on late Friday aft/eve and hit up 18 road same time on Sat.
    It's still hot in the evenings, much better to ride in the morning. It usually stays at or below 80º until around noon, it usually doesn't drop below 80º until after 9pm - and usually 5pm is the hottest part of the day.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Rode Fruita after work today (passing through Fruita on business). 20+ miles starting at 6:00. Finished at 8:00 and the temperatures were totally manageable if you bring your favorite electrolyte delivery vehicle.

If you must ride during the heat of the day, dose with Endurolytes... and have fun.

mtbr member
    I'd go high or north...what about Winter Park (your kid ever been park riding?) or Steamboat/N Routt (seedhouse and Buffalo/Rabbit Ears Pass area...Arapaho National Forest?).

Here's a little "Surface of the Sun" for ya

Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Buy some good headlamps and make some night loops on 18 rd! No trees to run into, and it's a blast!

Like someone else said, for day riding in the heat, ice in the camelback, cold drinks back at the car.

I rode Rabbit Valley down to the CO river in 104ºF heat one day. Nice to go swimming in the CO before heading back out to the car. It did get mildly uncomfortable on the way back though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast