mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Front Range UST's - Which Ones

I asked this last year and appreciated the input. It's gift recieving time and I'm looking for new tires.

Stumpjumper FSR, 165 pounds, UST rims

Bear Creek, Mt Falcon, Green Mtn (live there), Waterton, White Ranch

Currently have Python 2.0 in back, Spider 2.1 in front - seem to do ok, but both have washed out at some point - looking to try something with a tad more bite

Conti Vertical Pro?
    Kenda Nevegal?

Which one in front or both the same?

Thanks for your 2 cents

A Guy Who is Going Places
    I like the NG Python a lot, for all sorts of conditions.

Not tooo crazy about the harder compound of the Contis.

WTB Wierwolf tubeless have hooked up really nicely around here.
    http://www.anthonysloan.com

Isaiah 15:5

There are many good bike companies out there, and I work for one of them.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Totally subjective, but my vote is for the Conti Vertical Protection. Works great with Stan's if that's your thing and hooks up great on all FR stuff for me. I'm riding a Turner Flux on mainly smoothish singletrack. They also rock in Summit Co stuff too!

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonys
    Not tooo crazy about the harder compound of the Contis.
    I agree. I used to run Contis, since I had used many other tires. I just put a Explorer Pro on the rear of my bike after my Nevegal wore out, and I am already about to take it off after about 25 miles. I just find that it spins out on roots and rocks that stickier tires (like the Nevegal) stick to.

I really like the Nevegals on the rear, but not sure if they make them UST in all the sizes. 2.1 works well for general trail riding for me.

rr
    I don't do PC
    I've had good luck with-
    Conti verts/ great front tire but expensive
    Fire Pro's/wear fast on the rear, cheap, good on the front too
    Schwalbe Fat Albert 2.35/awesome traction up front but heavy
    Nevegal 2.1/ only a few rides on it but I can see why it's highly rated, tons of traction

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    I've had good luck with-
    Fire Pro's/wear fast on the rear, cheap, good on the front too
    Schwalbe Fat Albert 2.35/awesome traction up front but heavy
    Nevegal 2.1/ only a few rides on it but I can see why it's highly rated, tons of traction
    If $ were no object, which would be your ideal setup front and rear? Nevegal on both? Conti front Nevegal rear? Conti both?

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Performance is clearing these out for some reason (maybe they are discontinued now?) at around $18 per tire. When I was buying some extra winter jerseys the other day I picked up a Vert Pro just to have around in case of an emergency.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by crashtoomuch
    If $ were no object, which would be your ideal setup front and rear? Nevegal on both? Conti front Nevegal rear? Conti both?
    The Nevegal is my favorite rear tire by far. I've heard some rumblings that it doesn't work so great in the snow, I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Lots of the northies (Loveland, Ft Collins) swear by the Blue Groove/Nevegal for the front/rear, but I've never tried the BG. I've had great luck with the Schwalbe King Jim up front and Nevegal on the rear.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Quote Originally Posted by crashtoomuch
    Conti in the front and Nev in the rear, I just put the Nev. in the back so I don't know about up front.

Jdub- I heard the stick-e version sucked in the snow but the standard compound was OK, is that what you heard?

I've also heard good things about the Blue Groove but haven't tried it, I will probably give it a try soon cause my Kenda Kinetics tire up front kinda sucks but it was a freebie. I was very pleased last winter with the Fat Albert, if you don't mind the extra size/weight at 2.35 it would be a great winter tire.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Jdub- I heard the stick-e version sucked in the snow but the standard compound was OK, is that what you heard?
    Don't know the specifics, was just told that the Nevegal suffers in snow. I've found the traction (dry trails at least) to be incredible thus far, with the only drawback being the slower rolling nature of the StickE compound.

I've got a StickE with about 1/3 tread left and a brand new DTC Nevegal that I'll try out after I finish of the StickE. I'll report back with my experiences after I get some miles on the DTC.

mtbr member

Tire suggestions

Crash here is my 1.5 centavos...

I ride with tubes. I ride an Enduro and love rocky rooty rough terrain. For a skinny I recommend Fire XC Pro Kevlar bead 2.1, I rode these in Utah and Colo and they were my fav. Now I am running the WTB Weirwolf 2.5. I have always ridden both at pretty low psi and have never had issues with pinch flatting. I try to ride smooth, loft when necessary and love rocky stuff. A few seasons ago I wanted a larger tire volume than the Fire XC Pro 2.1 and the Fire 2.4 or was it 2.5 were a bit heavier than I really needed. Tried the WTB's and have been buying them since.

They are pretty darn light for a 2.5, get great traction for the front range, are fat, roll nicely, are pretty knobby, and I usually go through 3 sets per year- not bad in my opinion.

Good Luck
    Peace

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Schwalbe is releasing Nobby Nicks stateside in January, it will be a great rear tire for the wetter months. Albert or Little Albert for the front. For dry, Racing Ralphs front and rear or keep the Albert in the front. I am assuming your rims are narrow, 17-19mm inside width? Kendas are good tires but their sticky compound rolls super slow. Their dual compound and especially their fast compound don't grip all that well. Hutchinson is said to make great UST tires, but I haven't tried any.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho