mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Front Range tires question.

Okay, I know this has come up before, but I find myself digging my fork in to the "Soft Stuff" more often when doing tight turns (going up or down) on trails like Captain Jacks, Linbaugh, Falcon, Palmer Park, Ute, Mt Herman, etc and not being able to recover.

Im riding Nevegal 2.35's front and back right now, and feel that is probably a good deal of my problem. A friend of mine suggested running a "blue groove" up front and a "nevegal" in the back, but wanted to see what everyone else is doing.

Im open to expense, just want to have good meat on my rims.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    do you ride 26in wheels or 29in? I never liked the nevegal on the 26in front wheels as it was too sticky and slow while climbing but it was ok on the 29er when riding rigid. I love the weirwolf now on the 29er front and exiwolf on the rear. mutanoraptor was always a great 26in front for our conditions IMO and i liked the maxxis ignitor on the rear for fast hookup.

tire selection depends on rider experience and riding style though. those are just a couple of my pics.
    nobody reads your blog

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    For shorter people it can be hard to find a 29er mtb frame no?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Bigger tire and/or lower pressure in the front should help you out. As for specifics the High Roller in the rear is pretty popular for CO conditions. I just got a 909 FRO lite for the front and I'm loving it, it replaced a Minion F that was also pretty awesome but worn out. The 909 definitely corners better especially in loose/soft stuff and is cheaper than the Maxxis. Keep in mind these are 2-ply heavy duty DH tires, but I think you can get them all in smaller 1-ply versions if you want.

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by andykrow
    Bigger tire and/or lower pressure in the front should help you out.
    Good point! However the Nevegal's don't like low airpressure (for tubed kind). I have had great success with the Maxxis Minions for Front Range.

mtbr member

Maxxis Ignitor

Been running the Ignitor 2.35 UST on my Nomad everywhere from Summit, to Ft Collins, to Moab. Used to live by the Conti Vert 2.3 UST till they started make them out of crap rubber this last year. The Ignitor has kick ass hook up on ALL surfaces, all seasons and the LUST side wall are the bomb.
    The best trails are STILL...

www.breckepic.com
    http://mavsports.com/

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    afox, finding a 29er frame or builder who will build one for someone shorter is not as big of an issue as is the handling of said frames. the frames i have seen and the ones my g/f has tried out seem to handle poorly according to her and she is a very competent mtn biker.

you should check on the 29er forum for direction and talk with shops and frame builders though if you are interested. i know james at black sheep has built small 29er frames. good luck
    nobody reads your blog

ColoradoCoolBreeze
    For the loose stuff I prefer a smaller lug than the Neve with more spacing between them.

04 Azonic Saber
    08 Yeti AS-x
    12 Rocky Mtn 29er Alt 970

hehe ...you said "member"
    Just picked up a Specialized Enduro 2.4" UST for the rear ... not too impressed - I've washed out when leaning into turns with any speed. Have also heard good things about the Ignitor with LUST sidewalls - that's my next purchase.
    “Me fail english? Thats unpossible.” - Matt Groening

skillz to pay billz
    2.35 ignitors =

mtbr member
    +1 maxxis LUST ignitor 2.35's...good all around.

giddy up
    I'm with nOOby and Bull_D, Ignitors are by far the greatest tire ever produced for the front range. I've spent 11 years on the front range trying different tires and for the last two, its been the ignitor. Good price, good tread life, excellent handling on loose over hard, and good weight. Stop asking and starting using.
    Rub n Tiz'zug

skillz to pay billz
    yeah the round profile is great in the rocks and the knobs hook up nice, roll well, etc. great all arounder

Shread Ready
    I put the 2.3 Maxxis Larsen TT's on my Kona Dawg and am loving them! They are great FR tires. They are wider than the tires I had on previously and seem to work great on FR rides! I'll have to check out the Maxxis ignitors next time. They sound pretty good. Here's a link to the Larsen TT"s.
    http://www.maxxis.com/Bicycle/Mountain/Larsen-TT.aspx

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks everyone, sounds like moving to Maxxis in general may be the first start. I too have heard good things about the ignitors.

Im currently 6 foot 6 inches and riding 26 inch wheels on a 07 Santa Cruz Heckler. I am certainly done with Nevegal's.

Would love to hear more.

Ride Everything
    My two favorite combos are Schwalbe Alberts or Maxxis ADvantages. Right now I'm running a 2.25" UST Albert up front and a 2.1" UST ADvantage in back. Works really well. If you need more volume, both come in wider versions.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Minons!!