Self Appointed Judge&Jury

Front Range Tire Recommendations....

I was curious what you guy's find to be the best tire for the Front Range. I ride The Devils Backbone the most which has a lot of rocky sections and packed dirt. I am running Kenda Nevegals currently that do pretty good, but I am always up for recommendations. The tires have to come in size 26 x 2.35 for my current rims I'm running. Thank's!

Jay
    Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    Dude, I'm in Illinois. The only place anyone would come from that would say this area is hilly is Kansas.

Awesomist™
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

Serious! Sorry I keep my trolling to the bass boat.
    Dude, I'm in Illinois. The only place anyone would come from that would say this area is hilly is Kansas.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Anything but Kenda Nevegals.

No, really.

Light freak
    Hey DIRTJUNKIE, the Front Range forum can be as brutal at the OC forum on certain topics. I just noticed you posting in the Front Range forum a few weeks back and recognized your avatar/screen name from the OC forum, are you new to the area? Just curious.

For what it is worth, I run Schwalbe Fat Alberts front and back and just love the way they hook up. They are definitely a little pricey but I feel they are well worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by scar View Post
    Hey DIRTJUNKIE, the Front Range forum can be as brutal at the OC forum on certain topics. I just noticed you posting in the Front Range forum a few weeks back and recognized your avatar/screen name from the OC forum, are you new to the area? Just curious.

For what it is worth, I run Schwalbe Fat Alberts front and back and just love the way they hook up. They are definitely a little pricey but I feel they are well worth it.

Well new sorta, I lived in Loveland years ago. I just moved back here a year ago after many years in San Diego. Many people in San Diego rave about the Fat Alberts sounds good. Any other recommendations, thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Kenda Excavators, 26x2.35

I did it all for the kudo
    Last edited by Short Bus; 04-07-2013 at 07:13 AM. Reason: removed, OP is a trolling chode

Antitheist & Kitten lover

Repeat macro.

Name:  Tires-for-the-Front-Range-More-like-tired-of-the-Front-Range.jpg
Views: 1106
Size:  11.6 KB
    Race Mojo Wheels | Read VitalMTB

Antitheist & Kitten lover
    Name:  trolling_or_stupid.jpg
Views: 1033
Size:  9.9 KB
    Race Mojo Wheels | Read VitalMTB

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Full Trucker View Post
    Must spread rep...

Quote Originally Posted by jasonvelocity View Post
    Name:  Tires-for-the-Front-Range-More-like-tired-of-the-Front-Range.jpg
Views: 1106
Size:  11.6 KB
    Needs MOAR rep...

And...

Front Range Tire Recommendations....-southpark-notthisshitagain.jpg
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Maybe DJ is onto something. Just for the heck of it I searched "Best tire...for the Front Range" and got:

vBulletin Message
    Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

So, what the heck, might as well go directly to the source of all tire knowledge right here!
    So it seems to me to be, this thing that I think I see.

Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    Maybe DJ is onto something. Just for the heck of it I searched "Best tire...for the Front Range" and got:

vBulletin Message
    Sorry - no matches. Please try some different
    terms.

So, what the heck, might as well go directly to the source of all tire knowledge right here!
    XC Guy man that was disappointing, from you I expected better.

mtbr member
    In 20+ years of riding I can honestly say that I've never once thought of my tires while riding, i.e. is there something better out there. Tire pressure, yes. What I'm running, no.
    Chalk it up to mad skills I guess.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

Quote Originally Posted by jugdish View Post
    In 20+ years of riding I can honestly say that I've never once thought of my tires while riding, i.e. is there something better out there. Tire pressure, yes. What I'm running, no.
    Chalk it up to mad skills I guess.

Me either I can't believe he asked such a question. There's no way one rubber compound and tread pattern could possibly work better than another per terrain texture. It's all about tire pressure and nothing else.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Me either I can't believe he asked such a question. There's no way one rubber compound and tread pattern could possibly work better than another per terrain texture. It's all about tire pressure and nothing else.
    lols

I run spec butchers on my DH rig and butcher controls on my AM rig

mtbr member

On the rag or just generally touchy?
    Last edited by jugdish; 04-06-2013 at 09:12 AM.
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

Loser
    Mar 2008
    Hay guiz whats the best lube for the front range?

KY,Rock & Roll and Finish Line, no White Lightning for my thanks.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 04-06-2013 at 11:43 AM.

mtbr member
    I ride the northern metro area rides mostly (Hall, Heil, Walker, DBB, etc) and I'm a big fan of 2.4" Ardents in the front and 2.25" Crossmarks in the rear. I've also had success with the 2.35" DHF Minions up front, they're a little more beefy though. FWIW, both combinations rock for Fruita and Moab, too.

Thanks I've heard nothing but good on the Minions & Ardents in dry So. Cal. similar to here. But the crossmarks are a mystery to me. As far as beefy my Kenda Neva. are pretty beefy and was thinking of going less than that at the 2.35 size.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 04-06-2013 at 11:35 AM.

slow
    I run whatever is on sale when I need new tires. I'll need new ones again in a month or two and can try something new then.

As XCguy pointed out / this may be the wrong place to ask this question ;)

Living the High Life
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu View Post
    Must spread rep...

Needs MOAR rep...

And...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SouthPark-NotThisShitAgain.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	787664
    Thx Ithnu! I needed that.

It's kinda like ground hog day... I think I've seen this movie.

You really only have to read a couple of posts a year on this forum and you're all caught up.

Next up best local bike shop!

Anybody else have any tire suggestions that work good for this area. As I said earlier I run Nevegals and I am happy in all aspects accept rolling resistance, a bit slow.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    If you're happy with Nevegals there is no hope. You should consider knitting.

boxcar
    I have used Maxxis Minion DHF's 2.5's and Schwalbe Hans Dampf's 2.35's the most. The HD's roll well, but I feel the Minion is a more aggressive tire. The Minion has lasted longer for me(wears better.) My gal uses Maxxis High Rollers in a 2.35. The High Rollers have a less abrupt ramping on the knobs and seem to roll easier than the Minions. Generally riding HTMP, Ginny, Crosier.

Quote Originally Posted by mtn.skratch View Post
    I have used Maxxis Minion DHF's 2.5's and Schwalbe Hans Dampf's 2.35's the most. The HD's roll well, but I feel the Minion is a more aggressive tire. The Minion has lasted longer for me(wears better.) My gal uses Maxxis High Rollers in a 2.35. The High Rollers have a less abrupt ramping on th knobs and
    seem to roll easier than the Minions. Generally
    riding HTMP, Ginny, Crosier.

Some great input thanks. Unfortunately only a few in this thread have enough maturity to give any. The Maxxis High Rollers sound like a good option, I know those get nothing but good reviews as far as I've heard.

boxcar
    Some great input thanks. Unfortunately only a few in this thread have enough maturity to give any. The Maxxis High Rollers sound like a good option, I know those get nothing but good reviews as far as I've heard.
    Yeah no worries, hope it helps with your decision.

Living the High Life
    I can't stand High Rollers for XC or DH. I ride Cross Marks for XC and Minions for DH.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu View Post
    I can't stand High Rollers for XC or DH. I ride Cross Marks for XC and Minions for DH.
    Well, now, THAT'S not very helpful.

mtbr member
    Last edited by jugdish; 04-15-2013 at 07:54 PM.
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

Hmmmmm insert >>>here<<< little dude scratching his head.

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Well, now, THAT'S not very helpful.

Name:  37043493.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  79.2 KB

Tribe Member
    I would highly recommend Panaracer's Smoke and Dart combo, Tioga's Farmer Johns and Farmer Johns newphew or the best front range tire Onza Porcipine II's
    Proud Tribe member since 1992 - looking for better singletrack to be ridden year round

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yetirich View Post
    I would highly recommend Panaracer's Smoke and Dart combo
    More than likely you are joking...but, this is truly the only set up i remember ever owning...cheapest set you can buy and I have no idea what i am missing.

mtbr member
    High rollers are not too bad, I've worn a few of them out running them on the rear. Climbing traction is good and they seem to roll pretty well for a 2.35" tire (so they say ) To me they have a spot at mid lean angles where the grip feels really wishy washy. Straight up on the center tread block they're good and leaned way over on the side knobs they're good too, but in between wasn't the most confidence inspiring feeling... it least to me but YMMV.

I've been happy with an Ignitor 2.35 out back as of late, seems to be a good comprimise all the way across the board. Not the best in any one category but not bad in any either, but it is more predictible leaded over. I don't feel like it has quite as much grip as the HR though as it's alot easier to drift the back end around than the HR was, thats not a bad thing though.

I've also had good luck with a 2.4 Advantage up front, its big, and grips well at all angles. I'll swap it out for something else when it wears out but so far it's got almost 750mi of FC and loveland area riding on it and has plenty left in it.

Front Range Tire Recommendations....
    skis.

Tribe Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nomit View Post
    skis.
    snowshoes?
    Proud Tribe member since 1992 - looking for better singletrack to be ridden year round

I'm with stupid
    If you like the nevegal give the hans dampf a try. It seems to handle pretty close to the same but rolls faster. The popular combo seems to be the trail star front and pacestar rear. I tear up the trail star pretty quick even on the front. I have a issue with peeling the side knobs off the casting. I dont see this on HD riders though so it could just be the way I turn on the rocks, or the fact that I tend to ride on the edge of out of control and need a front tire that makes up for my stupid moves.

Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    If you like the nevegal give the hans dampf a try. It seems to handle pretty close to the same but rolls faster. The popular combo seems to be the trail star front and pacestar rear. I tear up the trail star pretty quick even on the front. I have a issue with
    peeling the side knobs off the casting. I dont see
    this on HD riders though so it could just be the
    way I turn on the rocks, or fact that I tend to
    ride on the edge of out of control and need a
    front tire that makes up my stupid moves.

Sounds like you ride a lot like me.
    Although I have never had an issue with tearing the knobs off the Nevegals. Is it worth changing
    to Hans dampf just to roll faster but compromise longevity. For me probably not. Thanks for suggesting another option though.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 04-21-2013 at 12:54 PM.

ENDO!!!
    May get flamed, but I have found the Forte Pisgah from Performance to work pretty damn well in the FR.
    Just circles turning circles....

mtbr member
    I like the way you think. +1.
    It's not how old I am, it's how old I feel - Minor Threat

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Also check out CST BFT (big f'ing tire). I like it better than the nevegals I was running.

BFT

Have it set up ghetto tubeless and it is doing great. Especially for 25 bucks.

It seems like it has less rolling resistance than the nobby nick on the back and grips fantastic.

compare it to the new "Enduro" tire that Geax came out with, the Goma.

news « Geax.com

mtbr member
    My Specialized came stock with 2.3" Purgatory up front and 2.3" Ground Control out back. I like the way the Ground Control hooks up and the casing holds up well to the rocky terrain. I think if I ran them at lower pressure they would be even better but I am afraid of hurting my carbon rims so I leave the front at 32 and the back at 35 PSI. The Purgatory up front has a drift until you really lean it over on loose over hardpack. For most trails here in the front range I like the way these tires perform. I have tried Ardents in a 2.4 inch size and found them to drift and be squirly when leaned over. I personally liked the Specialized Captain for their profile and knob shape but they are limited to a 2.2 inch width. Maxxis High rollers worked well on my 26er but were heavier than i wanted to run so I used Maxxis Larson TT because they hooked up pretty well but there was no drift when leaned over. So far my favorite has been the Captain by Specialized for consistent feel from a drift standpoint, but I like the extra volume of a 2.3 inch tire and I have come to terms with the Purgatory. Again as one other poster said, tire pressure has a lot to do with how a tire will perform.