mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Front range tire choice

I was going to put off getting new tires till spring, but the great weather moved that decision up.

I am running my third pair of Nevegal 3.35s and have liked then for the riding I do, but they are expensive and the side lugs all fall off before the tread wares down.

I ride very aggressively and love super rocky climbing on any and all trails between Denver and Moab. I love the rides in the Roaring Fork Valley and Grand Junction the most of late. The biggest thing for me is having a sticky tire for climbing in the rocks, but I do hate tires that break loose in the corners. When I was living in Vail I liked the Conti Vertical Pro because they seemed to corner well in the dirt on the downhill tracks and they were OK for climbing the single track, but I hated them here on the front range.

I was reading about the Weir-wolf 2.5 here on MTBR and though it may be a fair tire to try on my front end, but I would like to see what people in the area are riding. Please keep in mind the riding I do because I am not looking for a heavy DH tire (though I did like my minions) or a XC race tire that slides on every trail bar.
    Thanks

Oh, So Interesting!
    seriously?

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

how heavy are you ??

dude!

i am sure your search function is broken ;P
    What does Marsellus Wallace look like, A BIT*H?

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    I've found no tire at all works pretty well. I don't have flats any more.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I like the round kind that rolls, but then again I have super crazy bike handling skills so it doesn't matter to me.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

MTB B'dos
    Dunno, feeling kind so here, and just to update my thoughts, I guess the Rampages are a very good tyre choice for the FR, might even do a Rampage FRONT/Ardent REAR now after getting an Ardent to try.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Why you guys gotta be so harsh...jeez

I have switched to Navegals 2.35 front and 2.10 rear. I really like them. I also just made them tubeless and have not got a flat yet. Been using them for about 2 months now at least three times a week.

hehe ...you said "member"
    Quote Originally Posted by jugdish
    I like the round kind that rolls, but then again I have super crazy bike handling skills so it doesn't matter to me.
    that's funny.

Maxis Ignitor 2.35 tubeless - hooks up well with relatively low rolling resistance
    “Me fail english? Thats unpossible.” - Matt Groening

"Oldfart from Wayback"

Since we have a sticky for "Moving to the FR"

Can't we just get one for this as well ?

skillz to pay billz
    Quote Originally Posted by jake7
    that's funny.

Maxis Ignitor 2.35 tubeless - hooks up well with relatively low rolling resistance

+1(too lazy to type it for the 30th time)

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I did a search and found topics on various non-standard tires, not standard tube type tires. Really didn't expect a bunch of pissing and moaning about a simple question.
    Fact is most people have a different need based upon riding style so reading reviews on 2.1s etc does me no good, nor does a review on tubeless tires running low psi. Not sure how all the "super smart" people complaining about my level of search always miss the blatant error in generalizing riding styles/needs.

Sorry if I sound harsh, don't mean to be. I was just really hoping the local bike crew could be a little more helpful and a little less "too cool" to help out.

mtbr member
    you should have done an advanced search with "best tires front range" as keywords in title. Search only in colorado - front range. Thread titles come up that match yours. I clicked a few and there are exhaustive reviews. This question comes up every two months so it gets old and really highlights "noobies" to the board and to the front range - hence, the sarcasm from the gallery.

Here is a good one that has some other threads embedded.

Tires for the front range?