Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Front Range MTBRs Motorcycles too?

I'm curious, do any of you Front Range MTBRs also ride motorcycles? I bought my first, an 01 SVS 650 two weeks ago.

Ridesyeti
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Nice ride! I've been an avid dirtbiker for years. Love it. Be careful and enjoy the canyon roads

3nf
    Aphonopelma Coloradanum
    Good choice. The red models in particular have been shown to be the fastest- here's mine (2001 naked).

Don't forget to watch the official first gen SV training video (NWS language).
    • File Type: jpg sv.JPG (126.6 KB, 530 views)

Misses elastomer shocks

motorcycles

I have a '98 suzuki bandit 1200, although bicycling really gets in the way of my motorcycle time. Took a 1 week trip to yellowstone last summer with my dad. It was great!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I have a yz 450 and a drz 400sm (Supermotard)

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrock450
    I have a yz 450 and a drz 400sm (Supermotard)

lets ride sometime i have a plate, and "lights"

Your bike sucks
    I've owned a number of motorcycles but my current stable includes:

Yamaha WR450
    KTM SMC 625 (Street Tard)
    and a CRF150F for the wife

currently looking for a big bore single for adventure riding/touring.

It's pretty cool that we several motard riders in the FR forum.

I'd probably call it my third passion....Behind cycling and skiing.

BTW - I love the SV650... Next to a motard, it'd be my choice for a track/fun bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Carb needs cleaning

I'm totally new to motorcycles. I was having problems keeping the bike running. At first I thought it was my inexperience. If left to idle it dies. You have to always be on the throttle at all times. But if I gave it too much throttle it would die as well. So had been learning to give it throttle even while down shifting, working the clutch, and both brakes. After describing that to some folks they were like, "Get the carb cleaned." One guy said what I was teaching myself sounded like an advanced racing technique. So the SV's in the shop now. Since my car was in the shop this week I found myself commuting and riding down Wads at rush hour while trying to keep it from dieing on my third day.

Ridesyeti

Your bike sucks
    Your bike shouldn't die when you disengage the throttle.. There are "advanced" techniques where throttle and clutch/brake are applied at nearly/the same time. Anyway, you probably have a carb issue...There are many possible culprits so I won't hypothesize here. That's a lot for a beginner to deal with but nothing that isn't fixable....
    Good luck. It gets more fun than this.

Quote Originally Posted by ridesyeti
    I'm totally new to motorcycles. I was having problems keeping the bike running. At first I thought it was my inexperience. If left to idle it dies. You have to always be on the throttle at all times. But if I gave it too much throttle it would die as well. So had been learning to give it throttle even while down shifting, working the clutch, and both brakes. After describing that to some folks they were like, "Get the carb cleaned." One guy said what I was teaching myself sounded like an advanced racing technique. So the SV's in the shop now. Since my car was in the shop this week I found myself commuting and riding down Wads at rush hour while trying to keep it from dieing on my third day.

Ridesyeti

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Mine is street legal too!!
    Send me a pm if you want to go ride the twisties when they get all the sand off the mountain roads or hit up eerie

Quote Originally Posted by dannysocal

lets ride sometime i have a plate, and "lights"

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Yeah. Maybe we can hook up and ride together. Right now I'm pretty slow. I slow down ahead of stop lights since I'm still not great with surprise stops. Especially since I always have to work the throttle. That made Colfax interesting. I went up Lookout Mountain my third day but descended around the same speed as my road bicycle. So I have some learning. I'm thinking about doing a beginner track day to get some instruction on turning.

Ridesyeti

mtbr member
    2001 XR650R (plated) for long off-road days
    2001 CR250R for technical singletrack and track riding

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I am in for a group ride sometime. Right now I have a 2000 SV650 Naked, fork work will get done soon, and for Dirt I have a 2001 CR250 Fork work is done, Cylinder comes in today (see pic) and hopefully get it together and ride on Sunday!!!!
    Bad pic, but only had the phone near by.

Bad Andy
    '05 Yamaha FZ1, stock except Corbin seat with backrest for wife!

mtbr member
    Yip, love it.

danaco
    RIDESYETI

Reading your posts here I would really recommend taking a class, I sense you don't really undestand the fundamentals of riding motorcycles. Taking a class will get you riding more confidently with knowledge and skills not to mention safety. I'm not trying to be a know it all jerk here and I'm not trying to take the fun out of it either. I was where you were almost thirty years ago and untill I found someone to teach me the fundamentals of real world skills I was dangerous to myself and others on the roads.

I hope you dont' take offense to my comments, if I miss-judged your posts I appologize. I just see too many riders out there that I fear for themselves and me to be around.

I became addicted to canyon racing with my buddies and It's hard to believe I made it out alive except that twenty-twenty five years ago there were alot less cars around here although no less deer.

Be Safe.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I took the MSF class to get started. But actually I'm interested in continuing my training. I'm wondering if that would be a beginner track day type of thing. I'm ok with the low speed exercises from the MSF class. I did have some folks look at my bike and its not me. The thing really does need the carb cleaned and won't idle. I'm getting around and able to keep it running but its more complicated then it needs to be. I'm totally open to training. Any thoughts?

http://www.go4itservices.com/

or

http://www.chicanetrackdays.com/

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    +1

I also recommend picking up the motorcycle book twist of the wrist II. Amazing book that will even help your mountain bike skills. Also, stay out of people's blind spots while driving on busy streets, even if means speeding. People are not looking out for you.

My mentallity while driving my bike on the street is this.....Every person driving wants to kill me.

I know i sound really harsh but that is the reality of riding motorcycles, just like any other dangerous activity. I try to stay off the highway all together, damn cell phones and black berries turn everyone into drunk drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by danaco
    RIDESYETI

Reading your posts here I would really recommend taking a class, I sense you don't really undestand the fundamentals of riding motorcycles. Taking a class will get you riding more confidently with knowledge and skills not to mention safety. I'm not trying to be a know it all jerk here and I'm not trying to take the fun out of it either. I was where you were almost thirty years ago and untill I found someone to teach me the fundamentals of real world skills I was dangerous to myself and others on the roads.

I hope you dont' take offense to my comments, if I miss-judged your posts I appologize. I just see too many riders out there that I fear for themselves and me to be around.

I became addicted to canyon racing with my buddies and It's hard to believe I made it out alive except that twenty-twenty five years ago there were alot less cars around here although no less deer.

Be Safe.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Take your bike up to the eerie go kart track on motorcycle days and have a track day. Even if you don't take a class, at least you can get comfortable with how your bike handles and performs, stops, accelerates, how far you can lean that thing over in a turn and not worry about traffic running you over if you fall. It's $35 a day if i remember correctly.

I would also recommend American Supercamp. I took their one day supermoto class and it was incredible! I even took applications from supermoto and applied it to my downhill mountain biking.

They offer a class that you ride little honda xr's on the track and you get to learn real word technique's on a small bike, much safer and then apply them to your bike once you learn how to do it.

danaco
    Thats' great advice from all you twisters. A few things I would like to add.... NEVER ride in anyones blind spot and NEVER let anyone stay in YOUR blind spot, on either side. Speeding IS one of the safest methods to ride or drive meaning just slightly faster than the general traffic, it usually means you are paying attention to what's going on around you and allows better manuverability in case an evasive move is necessary but it puts you more at risk of getting caught for speeding. Stay away from the back brake ! Let the experts tell you how to use it (not much ! on a road bike anyway )

Lastly, the people that give general civilian training courses are invaluable as well as the track people, you would be surprised, it's not all about going fast.

Good luck out there ! I often times wish I still rode twisters. Once owned, 81' Kaw GPZ 550, 83' Kaw GPZ 750, and a 85' Yamaha FJ 1100 Oh' the days ! 600 mile weekends canyon racing for 10 years. Finally put one down, never rode the same after that, finally sold the last one to by a house and had been getting into mtb's after I went down and that's what I've been doing since , addicted. Maverick ML 7.5 69er, Maverick ML 8, Trek 69er SS, Trek 5900 road bike 16000 miles !

I hate to bring this up and some may differ, but remember the old adage, "there are only to kinds of motorcycle riders, those that have gone down and those that will" Knowing that will make you a better rider.
    Last edited by danaco; 03-13-2009 at 03:59 PM.

danaco
    Here is a shot of me on Squaw pass in the fog. It was late fall of 1984. That's my Kawasaki GPZ 750, best bike I owned of the three.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Used to be a road racer in the WERA series in the midwest and southeast as well as a few AMA national series races. I had dirt bikes but was never nearly as much into them as I was pavement bikes.

It's been many years since I owned a motorcycle but if I did own one today it would be a light sporty touring bike. I have no need for a bike that can go 75MPH in 2nd gear.

IMO dirt bikes are a plague on the earth and I have no desire to be a part of that scene.

danaco
    I would agree with the plague thing although they are pretty cool and probably a lot of fun, I think the Super Moto conversions are really cool. Wasnt' that called the Colorado Series yers ago at the MRA races. Anyway, I'll stick to mtb though, quieter amd smell better ! Not to mention working on my mtb's are enough work as it is keeping them running.

I was pinning over the new 25k BMW HP2 Sport bike, that baby was making my blood pressure rise. I would buy it as art and deduct it as a home improvement You can do that, right ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by danaco
    Speeding IS one of the safest methods to ride or drive meaning just slightly faster than the general traffic, it usually means you are paying attention to what's going on around you and allows better manuverability in case an evasive move is necessary but it puts you more at risk of getting caught for speeding..
    I've been doing this in my car ever since I can remember. Not until recently did I understand what I was doing. Being slightly faster then everyone else in Chicago meant I was REALLY fast when I moved to Denver. I've slowed but still employ the strategy. I've never been in a car accident except parking lot finder benders.

Ridesyeti

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    IMO dirt bikes are a plague on the earth and I have no desire to be a part of that scene.[/QUOTE]

Good

Do you look at the scene before you try something new because a bunch of dudes in spandex does not seem like much of a scene either.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast