Now older but less slow!

Front Range LBS able to service a 12 year old British suspension fork?

Might a LBS around Golden/Boulder know how to pull and replace the air seal in a British 1999 Pace fork?

No I don't want to buy a new fork. Its cool, and the fork is still going strong, I can service it myself apart from the top air seal; I don't have to tools for pulling the seal and replacing it. I have the seal, just not the tools.

Might this be a tool that is fairly common across air shock forks? Might a Colorado bike shop be able to service this British antique of mine?

Any ideas?

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Yes, just about any shop around should be able to take that fork off for you so you can hang it on the wall where it belongs, and then put a modern suspension fork on that will put a grin on your face.

Seriously, why would you risk metal fatigue in the place where you least want to have a failure??? Have you been using the fork for 12 years, or has it been sitting in your garage unused? If you have been using it for that long, call it good and retire it. If it's been sitting around unused, that top air seal probably isn't the only rubber part that is wearing out so you will likely find other leaks waiting to happen.

BTW, I rode a z2 for over 10 years so I know how hard it is to let a good fork go. It's not worth the risk, and it's SO worth be benefit to be on a modern fork--the performance level is so much bette these days.

Now older but less slow!
    One could say why should I risk riding my 15 year old Boulder Starship? It's aluminum and aluminum has a finite life and it will ultimately snap?

To use a car analogy, why not take that '68 Firebird and throw it on the scrap heap and buy a '12 Mustang? Just because something is old does not mean you should throw it away. My bike and fork (raw carbon fiber legs) look so cool and it works perfectly well. It also has an aesthetic you don't see much in full suspension bikes these days.

Sure a new fork may work better, but not for the money I can afford. If I "upgraded" to a new fork, then I would have to faff around with adapters to convert my Hope Hydos to post mount rather than having the clean tab mounts I do today. Then what else upgrades would I need to do?

I'd rather just service and continue to maintain my antique. Everybody who sees it on the trail states how cool it is. It's not just another me to 4-6in trail all mountain bike that has the aesthetics of a dump truck.

One day, I'll get a newer bike. So I would rather invest my money into that then upgrade the fork When I ride with others the bike never feels outclassed. It may need a more capable pilot at the helm but the bike keeps up with the young whipper snappers on their latest and greatest.

Sorry for the rant - you struck a nerve

Now older but less slow!
    As a side note the fork has not had that much use. I got it in 1999, and rode it hard for that season. i moved to the flat lands of the Midwest in 2000 and it had a couple of easy years. I then quit mountain biking for six years. In 2008 I moved and got back into mountain biking. In 2009 I completely overhauled the fork with new seals (apart from the air seal which I could not pull). I was riding West Mag in Sunday and the fork was feeling plush and compression and rebound were about spot on as I blasted the stone strewn Schoolbus descent. The only thing I was thinking was that I really should replace that last seal (which I have) hence the inquiry.
    Last edited by TheNormsk; 08-22-2011 at 06:53 PM.

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Don't get me wrong, like I said, I rode my '98 z2 for 10 years before hanging it on the wall so I am not into trashing functional stuff--I just question the safety. It makes me feel better when you said the fork hasn't had that much use. Good luck finding a shop!

Thread Terrorist
    Does anyone know where I can buy a spare antennae for a Motorola Startac?
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure View Post
    Does anyone know where I can buy a spare antennae for a Motorola Startac?
    Got one in the drawer. When you need it?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Having worked in a shop for a while, most shops are going to give you an outright "no" on servicing your fork.

Its a liability, once you get the fork apart there are at times other issues internally, beyond just a regular service. And then your returned a fork that is un-repairable, and seeking someone to blame. Oftentimes that shop. Secondly, its time consuming, when you come in for a $75 fork overhaul and it takes a tech 4 hours because of unfamiliar technology or other issues, the shop loses money, and at a LBS time equals money; it is America.

Every time an oddity came into the shop we usually referred to Cycle Analyst in Denver, don't know the number but look it up, might be a decent shot.

And although the above comments have erred on the side of sarcasm, modern forks are wonderful items of technology, innovation and machining. I would at least consider other options, such as a new fork. Thats just an honest opinion. Good Luck.

Big Boned
    Quote Originally Posted by kerryn View Post
    Sorry for the rant - you struck a nerve
    That was pretty mellow, reasonable and well-punctuated for a rant.

Old bikes got style. I swear if I still had my old Bridgestone MB1 I would still be riding it. Got jacked tho.

I don't know about strictly FR but I would call around to suspension tuning shops like Push or Hippie Tech, or maybe Hannebrink or Risse? Maybe they can point you in the right direction.

Jerry at Mountain and Road in Idaho Springs is a big bike geek with crazy obscure tools: (303) 567-4666
    Never rub another man's rhubarb.

Now older but less slow!
    Luckily one of the original builders of this fork is still active on the Retrobike forums in the UK. He's giving me tips on how to change the seal myself. He also can perform a full spring conversion and perform a safety check on the fork. I may just do this over the winter.

I understand than a new fork would probably be better but I estimate that I would need to spend about $600+ for a comparable fork. Getting my Pace overhauled by its original builder about $200. What high performance carbon fiber fork can you get for $200 these days? Also I like the green concept of reuse and recycle

Kaj
    mtbr member
    Our suspension techs will work on it if you bring it in, as long as we can get the parts/seals we will happily make the fork happy We work on 1999 Mavericks almost every week.
    Helping folks shred in Boulder & Colorado since 1982 www.fullcyclebikes.com