Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Front Range AM Wheelset

So I just finished building my 2010 Yeti ASR-7 and on my second ride out I put a nasty flat spot in my rear wheel. The current wheelset on the bike is the Mavic Crosslines and they are very mediocre to say the least. They are not tubeless ready either, so I'm curious to know what wheels you "AM" guys have been happy with lately here in the FR. I'm looking for tubeless ready and also don't want to break the bank either, and I'm not opposed to buying used if anyone has a set they are trying to sell. Thanks ya'll

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    l am sure you will get lots of recommendations..

My current set up is Hadley Hubs with WTB Laser TCS Trail wheels. I found them on pinkbike for $300 all ready to go. Really I got them for the hubs, but so far have been happy with the rims as well. Not the lightest (455g is advertised), but reasonably priced.. I have beat them up a little in the short time I have had them and so far they are still true..

Interested in hearing what others recommend because at some point I will probably build the hubs on something else..

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Wait a second...

Is this a "What's the best AM wheel for the Front Range" thread?

Chairman of the Beard
    WTB Frequency i23's rim, Hope hubs. Thick spokes. Have a local place build 'em. Phil over at Salvagetti does nice work.

OR get some of these puppies and add them to add an extra layer to the layup.
    The correct number of bikes one should own is N+1, where N is the number of bikes currently owned.

friend of Apex
    Quote Originally Posted by hirschmj View Post
    OR get some of these puppies and add them to add an extra layer to the layup.
    really carbon wheel curious

anyone have thoughts?
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR View Post

anyone have thoughts?
    They'll shatter and YOU'LL DIE!

I think IE has some, duzin't he?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hirschmj View Post
    WTB Frequency i23's rim, Hope hubs. Thick spokes. Have a local place build 'em.
    This...I've been beating on mine for the last 6 months and they are holding up quite nicely. Go with a bolt up rear hub too while you're at it.

MK_
    carpe mañana
    I was just talking wheels with a buddy.
    CRC has a sale going on, 10% off extra a day on a bunch of stuff.
    Tomorrow is when the prices hit bottom.

WTB Stryker AM. Frequency i23 rims, WTB LaserDisk hubs (same hubs American Classic uses for their wheels), 20mm/135mm. ~1700g
    approx. $400 (take the prices you see and subtract 10%).

Front: WTB Stryker TCS AM Race Front Wheel 20mm 2012 | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com
    Rear: WTB Stryker TCS All Mountain Race Rear Wheel 2012 | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

or

CRC also has a good deal on Hope/Stan's Flow combo; ~$450 for the set

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

MK_
    carpe mañana

anyone have thoughts?
    I've been eyeing this option for a while. Seems like they're prone to cracking on the tire bead. If you don't tend to flatspot your rims, you should be ok.

They have full sets on Novatech hubs for ~$500. Shipping is quite a bit, though.

_MK
    -- Marx, Groucho

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Hadley with flow rims.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Wait a second...

Is this a "What's the best AM wheel for the Front Range" thread?

Yes I believe it is...
    I did a search and nothing was recent

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewnielson View Post
    So I just finished building my 2010 Yeti ASR-7 and on my second ride out I put a nasty flat spot in my rear wheel. The current wheelset on the bike is the Mavic Crosslines and they are very mediocre to say the least. They are not tubeless ready either, so I'm curious to know what wheels you "AM" guys have been happy with lately here in the FR. I'm looking for tubeless ready and also don't want to break the bank either, and I'm not opposed to buying used if anyone has a set they are trying to sell. Thanks ya'll
    What's your price range and expectations for a good wheelset? Weigth vs stiffness, engagement, straight pull or j bend spokes. A lot of the guys I am riding with use Stan's Flows with Hope's or Kings. Crossmax SX after 2012 is a good UST wheelset. I am interested in the new I9 wheels when my current set dies. I have been Using Fulcrum Red Zones for 2.5 seasons. They have been great except spokes are terribly hard to find, UST. They are soft at the rim so when I do flat spot them I just use a crescent wrench and straighten them. Unlike my old Mavics they don't crack when bent back.

Some of the WTB suggestions below are good options at a great price.

DT makes some good wheels but don't have the high engagement of some of the other high end hubs. DT Swiss - Wheels

If I had $1100 to just blow I might buy a set of the new AM wheels in the article below. So expesive.

Industry Nine Announces Torch Series Hubs and Wheelsets - Pinkbike

I have a set of those Crosslines hanging on the wall in my garage.
    Narrow is the path to life, few are those who find it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I recently read an article that compared all the higher end hubs (hadley, hope, I9 etc), I wish I could find it for you. But, it made it clear that buying some good hubs and building up wheels was the way to go. It actually went in favor of the Hadleys, but said all were good.. liked Hadley's bombproofness and ease of servicing. ( i read this article about a week after I purchased my Hadley's and it made my day)

Have you thought about just building up a rear wheel first and then building up a front wheel later??

Grams Light Bikes
    Anrew:

Your weight, tires you're using and trails you're riding? The Mavic Crosslines are a bit skinny, but should have been tough enough? I suggest getting some wider rims that are laced with some beefy spokes. I can't believe you already trashed those rims? I tested a ASR7 that had those wheels down at the Pueblo Rez on all the gnarly trails and never had an issue.

If you are going to mention the new Torch, at least use our press release:

Industry Nine Introduces The Torch Series Wheels, Rims And Hubs | Mountain Bike Review

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pastajet View Post
    Anrew:

Your weight, tires you're using and trails you're riding? The Mavic Crosslines are a bit skinny, but should have been tough enough? I suggest getting some wider rims that are laced with some beefy spokes. I can't believe you already trashed those rims? I tested a ASR7 that had those wheels down at the Pueblo Rez on all the gnarly trails and never had an issue.

Industry Nine Introduces The Torch Series Wheels, Rims And Hubs | Mountain Bike Review
    I'm about 210 fully geared up. Currently have the Kenva 2.4 stickies on there and love em. Mostly ride around Palmer Park/Ute Valley Area and sometimes the Werks Center in Monument.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    If your not looking to spend a fortune and weight isn't a giant concern Azonic outlaws are not a bad idea. I used to use them on my DH bike and i weigh around 200 and never had a problem with them. You can pick them up from high 2s to low 3s usually.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pastajet View Post
    Anrew:

Honestly didn't know you guys did a review. So no love between Pinkbike and MTBR?
    Narrow is the path to life, few are those who find it.

mtbr member

anyone have thoughts?
    Got me some Reynolds and DT Swiss' in 26 form factor, and a pair of those LB "puppies" in a 29er form factor. Can't find deals on and thus can't afford Enves...
    What do you want to know?
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

friend of Apex
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Got me some Reynolds and DT Swiss' in 26 form factor, and a pair of those LB "puppies" in a 29er form factor. Can't find deals on and thus can't afford Enves...
    What do you want to know?
    reliability of the Chinese stuff (who's a good vendor)
    real world experience - a summary of the 126 page thread
    better to get the hoops and have 'em built, or are their hubs worth a dam?

mtbr member
    reliability of the Chinese stuff (who's a good vendor)
    real world experience - a summary of the 126 page thread
    better to get the hoops and have 'em built, or are their hubs worth a dam?
    Novatek(?) hubs blow...build them w/ something better; get hoops only. BUT, wait till...say March or so till they have their new mfg process in place for the 29er (if that's the form factor you're going for).

There was some reliability issue in the earlier batches. But, I've been following ppl's results w/ them and the later batches have all bee fine. I ordered my LB (Nancy) rims of the flavor, "Wider" 29er AM...and I specifically asked for "heavier/stronger" ones. Their page said the rims should come to you ~ 400g, but mine were 431 and 429.

On build, many have gone all the way up to 110 - 115kgf on the tension (brass nips). But when I built mine (alloy nips...didn't have any brass ones on hand), I was struggling to put more than 95 - 100kgf on my spokes (DT Comps), even w/ automotive assembly lube on threads and nip-bed. Problem is they drill the holes 100% to the plane of the rim and straight in from hub's axle center. So, when you twist your hub during lacing your putting some side load onto your nips against the really thick carbon nip-bed, making it hard to spin the nips once you tension everything up. The good part to this is your nips won't likely to back themselves out... Anyway, here's a link on their new mfg process and pics of just how thick the nip-bed is: Technology Improve Of Light-Bicycle Carbon MTB 650B Rims Light-Bicycle

Real world ride feel? Dooood! I even have those boat-anchor of tires (Conti TK 2.4 29er...1110g/ea!) on mine and they still feel light and nible! I'm pretty certain it because how stiff those wheels are.

If I was to do it again, and I'm going to when their new process is in place for the 29ers, I'd use the DT brass w/ the hex head nips, and maybe go w/ their Revo spokes.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

friend of Apex
    Novatek(?) hubs blow...build them w/ something better; get hoops only. BUT, wait till...say March or so till they have their new mfg process in place for the 29er (if that's the form factor you're going for).
    Was thinking of getting these hoops to replace my old ones on my DT Swiss 1750s, keeping the hubs (love 'em)

mtbr member
    Was thinking of getting these hoops to replace my old ones on my DT Swiss 1750s, keeping the hubs (love 'em)
    I'd email Nancy to see when their new process will be extended to the 26 rims...

Edit: the old method is fine. But if you can get lighter and stronger for the same price...just sayin'
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

MK_
    carpe mañana
    I'd email Nancy to see when their new process will be extended to the 26 rims...

Edit: the old method is fine. But if you can get lighter and stronger for the same price...just sayin'
    Thanks for the link above to the new layup.
    WKD, post what you find out from Nancy. I've been thinking about these rims for a while; I may pull the trigger on the new layup wide 26ers.

_MK
    -- Marx, Groucho

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_ View Post
    Thanks for the link above to the new layup.
    WKD, post what you find out from Nancy. I've been thinking about these rims for a while; I may pull the trigger on the new layup wide 26ers.

_MK
    You guys might want to keep an eye out on their drilling option too. There was a guy on that mega-thread who had LB drill the rims to run internal nipples (2.5mm dia holes). But I think there may be some flaw in that idea...smaller dia spokes creating more stress on the fibers around the holes when you twist your hub/spokes. But it is an interesting idea...just don't know how much you'd benefit from it.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast