mtbr member

Front Range 50 Race - Tire Sealant??

I signed up for the Front Range 50 race at Bear Creek Lake Park this Saturday. Today I noticed on the race website that tire sealant is recommended. I've never ridden the trails at Bear Creek Lake Park but I've ridden quite a few other trails around the front range and have never felt the need for tire sealant.

I'm sure a lot of you ride this area every day, are there lots of thorns or sharp rocks? Do you guys think tire sealant is really necessary? Let me know, I'm hoping I don't have to buy a bottle of slime and ruin 2 perfectly good tubes.

fog
    mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I have not ridden there much lately; but years ago the area was full of goat heads. There are not a lot of rocks; but I suggest something to seal your tires with or take the chance of flats.
    Good luck,
    Wayne

mtbr member
    I've ridden there frequently this year and have not gotten any flats or seen any goatheads stuck in my tires.

However, the race course has quite a bit of singletrack, so if you anticipate having to go off-trail to pass a lot you might want to consider tire liners. Slime adds a lot of weight, I think.
    I drank the 29er koolaid- turns out it was POWERade

mtbr member
    I have had Specialized Armadillo tires for years on my beater, hundreds of miles including lots of goat heads, and never once got a flat. Dumb luck or Kevlar? I'd say it was the Kevlar. Mmmmmmm, Kevlar.

And check this rad video. Science, baby! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKCSGbWbPyE

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Went there two weeks ago and when I got home both tires were flat. Had to pull more than one goathead out of each. Stayed on the course the whole time. The other person that I went with had one flat as well.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbRN
    so if you anticipate having to go off-trail to pass a lot

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Hey, during a race it happens, especially on the hills.
    Not saying it's right (and not saying I do it, because I am usually the one being passed ) but it happens.
    I drank the 29er koolaid- turns out it was POWERade

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

hmm...

Note to self: be thankful you are watching your 12 year old play soccer instead of picking goatheads out of your Crossmarks (recommended Front Range Tire) in Lakewood.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

There be goat heads in them hills...

Quote Originally Posted by azmtbkr81
    I signed up for the Front Range 50 race at Bear Creek Lake Park this Saturday. Today I noticed on the race website that tire sealant is recommended. I've never ridden the trails at Bear Creek Lake Park but I've ridden quite a few other trails around the front range and have never felt the need for tire sealant.

I'm sure a lot of you ride this area every day, are there lots of thorns or sharp rocks? Do you guys think tire sealant is really necessary? Let me know, I'm hoping I don't have to buy a bottle of slime and ruin 2 perfectly good tubes.
    I only had one the other day, the Stan's worked. But, saw several people with flats. The first time I ever rode in Bear Creek Park, my wife had 3 flats in the first mile.

I've also ridden there many times in between and not had any.

Do you feel lucky?

Oh - there's also some (not alot) cactus on the edge of the first climb.

Rocks... not the issue on those trails.

I'd heed their warning!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I did the Front Range 50 the past two years and ride there regularly. Sealant or stans is highly recommended. The race is worth it though. Gonna be a good time.
    Free Wheel Coffee...A Coffee of Free Will
    www.Freewheelcoffee.com

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I've ridden my roadbike all over the trails out there and never got a flat. Maybe that was before the goatheads hardened up tho...

hehe ...you said "member"
    BCLP has more goatheads than any other place I've ridden. Hands down.
    “Me fail english? Thats unpossible.” - Matt Groening

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Buying a bottle of slime is an easier pill to swallow than paying for a race and flatting out of it.

After my first race there my bike was literally covered in Stan's. That being said I did not have a flat. A good race to throw in an a few extra ounces of sealant.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by jake7
    BCLP has more goatheads than any other place I've ridden. Hands down.
    Chatfield State Park at the "wrong" time of year. I once got over 100 goatheads riding there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Run tubeless (with Stan's of course), you will save weight over filling tubes with slime.

mtbr member

Killer Goatheads

The tales of killer goatheads sufficiently scared me. I am not tubeless (yet) so I picked up a couple of slime tubes, man they are heavy but worth their weight if they work as advertised I suppose.

mtbr member
    Based on this info I will be topping off the tires with stan's before the race! I am slow enough without having to deal with a flat.

friend of Apex
    More Stans is Mo betta
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

mtbr member
    Ok, so here's a question on the tire sealant topic.

If I'm running Stans (in tubes - NOT tubeless) do I need to have extra tubes also WITH sealant just in case??

I'm scared of all the goatheads now

mtbr member
    you are running stans in tubes?

You might have a time bomb on your hand, I've heard Stans will eat through normal butyl rubber.

Also just pony up and go tubeless. So much better and handling is better as the tire is more supple without a tube.