Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Frisco Slopestyle Course

3K views 28 replies 16 participants last post by  Lelandjt 
#1 ·
Anyone have any info on the BIG dirtjumps being built by the skatepark at the Frisco Peninsula? I'm curious who's designing them, if they want any help, and when they'll be open.

#10 ·
tjkm said:
Wish that was there 15 years ago when I lived in Frisco! Looks sweeeet.
And you only left 15 years too soon... :p

It looks great, starts pretty small, and just KEEPS GETTING BIGGER!!
There's one more hit that wasn't complete yet, I'll post up some pics this week, it looked finished when I went home Friday night.

I'll ask about opening this week, can't remember what he said about a soft opening when I was there.

#12 ·
Okay, talked to Josh and here's the deal. They finished the big line but it still needs lots of packing, watering, and settling. Until then it could easily get torn up from casing, skidding, or walking. They're working on that and building at least 2 other lines. The rest of the surrounding park is still under construction so it's considered a construction zone and can't be open to the public. Most of the time they'll have excavation equipment parked in the way to effectively close off the track but if you happen to drive by and see them working, stop and say hi. You can see what's being built and they might let you ride the first set.

The official opening could be as late as July 2011. The town is doing lots of work in the surrounding area, but think of that as just 3 months away in riding season months.

#13 ·
I'm hoping that this thing doesn't screw up the first and last couple K of Buzzsaw. (Nordic ski trail). I was thinking they where putting it a bit more to the north so as not to impact the ski trail but those photos make me wonder. I should ask Gene or Matt Dayton to find out what the deal is.

#14 ·
zrm said:
I'm hoping that this thing doesn't screw up the first and last couple K of Buzzsaw. (Nordic ski trail). I was thinking they where putting it a bit more to the north so as not to impact the ski trail but those photos make me wonder. I should ask Gene or Matt Dayton to find out what the deal is.
That would be a true heartbreak...:rolleyes:

It's not as if there's nowhere to go, couldn't you just go between the hits if it was in the way?

Goodness knows there's nowhere else that one could CC ski in Scummit, the jump trail is probably the only place.

#15 ·
backcountryislife said:

It's not as if there's nowhere to go, couldn't you just go between the hits if it was in the way?

Goodness knows there's nowhere else that one could CC ski in Scummit, the jump trail is probably the only place.
How can you question the need for a trail with a name like buzzsaw, regardless of application. :p

Looks like July 2011 for Frisco...pretty good timing:thumbsup:

I drove by that the weekend of the 21st and thought it was a mini moto track...those are some big tables...so much extra dirt.

#19 ·
Lelandjt said:
Wilderness or the little dirtjumps in Frisco near the bike path? I haven't heard anything so I assume they're both still there.
Wilderness. I don't DJ but some of my friends who live up there do a bit. They haven't been there in a long time but heard a rumor that it got plowed.

#20 ·
Ithnu said:
Whatever happened to that "other" spot? I heard it got plowed under last year.
They cut down all the trees, and told people that they couldn't work on it anymore, but the jumps are still there as far as I know, it just seems like less people go over there now. I haven't been over this year, so not sure what kind of shape they're in now.

#21 ·
backcountryislife said:

I can tell you're not a season pass holder at Frisco Nordic. :lol:

Since we're talking about a groomed skating/classic trail it's not quite as simple as going somewhere else. The trail goes where the groomer goes and the groomer has to use a prepared trail that meets certain specifications. That's what most of the summer trails on the peninsula are, trails built for groomed winter XC skiing. (Lakeshore trail excepted)

I was just curious what the impact of the slopestyle trail would have on the long established use that lots of people use and enjoy in the winter. It may or may not be significant, I don't know for sure but I was under the impression during the planning that the bike track was supposed to be engineered in a way to minimize impacts on the skiing, but the photos made me question that but I could be wrong about that. I don't have any real problems with the slopestyle track, but I'd rather it not obliterate several Ks of one of the best advanced/expert groomed Nordic trails in the state.

Don't get too defensive just yet, Me and my spandex wearing, Nordic skiing buddies may have no issue at all..... ;)

#22 ·
No, I'm a season pass holder at the Jones pass backcountry SENDING IT on my 2 stroke club!!! :D (I think the nordic club would frown upon my winter habits!!:skep: )

I got you, it just seems like there's enough room to run a groomer between the hits if needed, doesn't seem like it'd be an issue to me.

Well, if it was me running the groomer... I'd be setting trail right ON the jump line!!!:thumbsup:

You want advanced/expert ... see above comment, otherwise do those words REALLY belong in the same sentence with nordic skiing??? Yeah, I didn't think so!!!:nono:
(advanced/expert nordic skiing... it's called backcountry telemarking!)

#23 ·
backcountryislife said:
You want advanced/expert ... see above comment, otherwise do those words REALLY belong in the same sentence with nordic skiing??? Yeah, I didn't think so!!!:nono:
(advanced/expert nordic skiing... it's called backcountry telemarking!)
Tell you what, get yourself on some skate or classic skis and come to Frisco and ski Buzzsaw. I spend most of my ski boot time - probably something like 60-70 days a year - on telemark skis and skins in the BC, (no two strokes for me, I avoid 'em as much as possible) but that 25-30 days a season at the nordic centers on skis that are an inch and a half wide not only works the motor hard, but gives you great balance, quick feet and feel for an edge. 30MPH on skate skis down a steep twisty trail like buzzsaw keeps your attention and of course you can't fake the fitness. Plus, while YMMV, for me, it's also a lot of FUN :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.