mtbr member
    Mar 2014

FRISCO or SILVERTHORNE / near cooper mtn

Good evening,

I am in the process or relocating to Colorado, preferably a short commute to cooper mtn. I recently got a job in the area and looking for 2 bedroom apartment for under 1,200 a month. I am also in the process of getting a new mountain bike, for single track and light lift service runs. Any recommendations on towns or places to live by, and adequate mountain bike for single track in the area would he greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

mtbr member
    What do you consider a short commute?

You've likely identified the closest, many live in Leadville though which is cheaper and not that far from Copper.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I've talked to someone who had a 2 bedroom in Dillion for under 1,200. Are the roads in good shape in winter between Dillion and breck/cooper?
    How long is the commute in winter ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Vermonter802 View Post
    I've talked to someone who had a 2 bedroom in Dillion for under 1,200. Are the roads in good shape in winter between Dillion and breck/cooper?
    How long is the commute in winter ?

Just want to clear up something. There are two ski areas near Summit that have similar names:

1) Copper Mountain - large resort 11 miles from Dillon
    2) Ski Cooper - smallish(but cool) ski hill 10 miles from Leadville, about 40 miles from Dillon.

Assuming you are talking about Copper Mountain, the drive in winter may be 15 minutes, or 45 minutes, depending on weather and traffic. About the same to Breck. There are free buses from Dillon to both Copper Mountain and Breck. I personally would not drive that commute without 4WD, but I'm sure someone will jump on saying they did it for years with an unloaded 2WD pickup with bald tires and had no problem. (Except for the 17 times they forgot about where they bummed a ride, and the three times they went into the ditch but their buddy with a Jeep pulled them out.)

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I have a a4 right now but trading in for subaru awd

mtbr member
    If you live in Dillon/Silverthorne, you can commute by bike to Copper. Might need some extra float in the winter. There are paved bike trails from Silverthorne to Copper. Avoid the traffic through Officer's Gulch and enjoy the massive slickensides on the east end of the gulch.

As for a 2 bed apartment for $1,200--good luck.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I already found one for around 1,200 in Dillion. Is there any disadvantages about living in Dillion?

mtbr member
    I already found one for around 1,200 in Dillion. Is there any disadvantages about living in Dillion?
    Sure. Your neighbors and/or roomates will try to steal your girlfriend and/or gear any chance they get. You'll have to smell your neighbors/roomates as well. Then, when you go to the bar you'll most likely find a group of dudes that want you to give them a ride in your A4 or subaru to this "spot" that they know sells good drugs.

If your job is really at Ski Cooper, oh man did you pick a winner. Welcome to the most boring winter of your life. If you are willing to embrace your inner redneck you'll have a better time.

BTW, Vermont and NY looking to be ski bums do better in Jackson Hole. I highly recommend it. Try Aspen as well.

Honestly though. The moves you are making are done by hundreds every year here. Isn't there a handbook for being a ski bum in Summit County by now? BTW, please bring your Vermont girlfriend. The zombies here need fresh meat.
    99% of the problems and questions posted here would be answered if people actually walked into a bicycle shop and asked

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I already know it's a meat wagon haha. Looking for seasonal housing for the summer, I already have a condo lined up in Breckenridge for the winter. I am more or a ski bum then a mountain biker, so I could careless about a "boring" winter... Did you comprehend that part where I said I was from Vermont ? Judging by your expertise, you should write a book.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Oh yeah, I visited Jackson Hole in Feb. I would say it's more of a meat wagon then Co. Plus, there not much to do in the summer, compared to a some what populated area in CO.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by vermonter802 View Post
    oh yeah, i visited jackson hole in feb. I would say it's more of a meat wagon then co. Plus, there not much to do in the summer, compared to a some what populated area in co.
    what?!?!

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Let me rephrase that. There plenty of stuff to do if you want to spend every minute outdoors, nothing wrong with that. Your nearest city is 3-4 hours away. Worse part is how much traffic/ tourist there is in the summer..

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Let me rephrase that. There plenty of stuff to do if you want to spend every minute outdoors, nothing wrong with that. Your nearest city is 3-4 hours away. Worse part is how much traffic/ tourist there is in the summer..
    I'll give you some of that - tourist traffic and the havoc they cause in the grocery store is hard to deal with. I lived there a for a few years a while (well, quite a while~15 yrs) back and must have blocked all the bad things from my old-man memory.

mtbr member
    Leadville is a real mountain town. Dillon/silverthorne is a shopping zone for tourists.

Seems like you know what you want so just figure out the rest when you get here. Why ask questions to strangers on the internet? Entertainment?

Buy a used mtn bike when you get here. Craigslist here is saturated with awesome bikes.
    99% of the problems and questions posted here would be answered if people actually walked into a bicycle shop and asked

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Your right. Why would anyone join a forum to ask questions.. Stupid me.
    thanks for the info, I didn't really think about the amount of bikes on craigslist.

not actually bad :)
    I don't see where you answered the Cooper vs Copper question?
    It will definitely change some of the answers, depending...
    Old Codger

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Copper mountain.

mtbr member
    Hope you like your mountains completely tracked by 9:30 am. The riding here in the spring/summer/fall (all of which fits into about 2.5 months) is awesome, though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    In this day and age, about every place gets tracked out in a few hours, give or take. I have a splitboard so I could less on how crowded the lift lines get.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I was about to try to offer some help, then I saw the word "splitboard". Good luck. 0

mtbr member
    Mar 2014

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    youll fit in perfectly in scummit county bro "IF YOU WANT TO SPEND EVERY MINUTE OUTDOORS" WTF???? you'll fit in perfectly with every dirt bag bro brah who is high as a kite hanging out at the bar and drunk all the time. You choose ............. outside living each moment high on life or wasted all the time like 90% of the people up here

people come here to live the dream realize it "wasn't what they thought it was" pack up and leave after a couple months, you'll be a one hit wonder for sure

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 69erEverything View Post
    Sure. Your neighbors and/or roomates will try to steal your girlfriend and/or gear any chance they get. You'll have to smell your neighbors/roomates as well. Then, when you go to the bar you'll most likely find a group of dudes that want you to give them a ride in your A4 or subaru to this "spot" that they know sells good drugs.

If your job is really at Ski Cooper, oh man did you pick a winner. Welcome to the most boring winter of your life. If you are willing to embrace your inner redneck you'll have a better time.

BTW, Vermont and NY looking to be ski bums do better in Jackson Hole. I highly recommend it. Try Aspen as well.

Honestly though. The moves you are making are done by hundreds every year here. Isn't there a handbook for being a ski bum in Summit County by now? BTW, please bring your Vermont girlfriend. The zombies here need fresh meat.
    what he said..........................

pm zrm, he'll set a young chap like you straight on mtn living

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I didn't even realize I miss spelled the mountain resort in the heading, dam auto correct. Job is at copper mountain, I didn't know there was a resort called cooper.

mtbr member
    I didn't even realize I miss spelled the mountain resort in the heading, dam auto correct. Job is at copper mountain, I didn't know there was a resort called cooper.
    You are aware of the traffic and tourists that fill summit county every weekend? How about the 2-3 hour delays on I-70 to get down to Denver? Construction on the Twin Tunnels starts Tuesday..April Fools Day!
    You will learn so much you didn't know. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Ahh, there tourist everywhere you go. Don't plan on going to Denver anytime soon.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Man, people sure seem miserable. Haters gonna hate.

Move to Frisco, you'll be able to catch a bus easily to Copper for work so you don't have to make the drive, which can be heinous on occasion. Frisco also has a good selection of bike trails right out your door, or a quick drive away. It will be more expensive there, but it's worth it. Dillon is great too, especially in the summer. The lake, Tiki bar, free concerts, ect. But Dillon will be a little further from your job in Copper.

Sure, there's lot's of tourists here. But if you pay attention, there are ways around the crowds. I just got back from a few hour tour where I saw absolutely nobody and got a few thousand feet of vert. Plus, the tourists are the ones who allow us to make a living and live here.

As long as you aren't driving at peak times, Denver and DIA are only 1.5-2 hours away. Plan around peak times and watch the weather and it's usually not bad at all.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by sbsbiker View Post
    You are aware of the traffic and tourists that fill summit county every weekend? How about the 2-3 hour delays on I-70 to get down to Denver? Construction on the Twin Tunnels starts Tuesday..April Fools Day!
    You will learn so much you didn't know. Good luck.
    You're aware that for those of us that live up here, as opposed to come up here for the weekends, don't generally have to deal with the traffic on I-70. Right? We simply go to Denver when the flatlanders are heading up here, and return when they finally all head home. There's no better feeling than driving 70 mph past a 5-10 mile bumper to bumper mess headed the other way.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeDimwit View Post
    You're aware that for those of us that live up here, as opposed to come up here for the weekends, don't generally have to deal with the traffic on I-70. Right? We simply go to Denver when the flatlanders are heading up here, and return when they finally all head home. There's no better feeling than driving 70 mph past a 5-10 mile bumper to bumper mess headed the other way.

I'm aware. 20+years in steamboat has taught me this and many other things.

And I was sincere, mountain town life has a big learning curve, is not to everyone's taste, so good luck.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ripper roo View Post
    youll fit in perfectly in scummit county bro "IF YOU WANT TO SPEND EVERY MINUTE OUTDOORS" WTF???? you'll fit in perfectly with every dirt bag bro brah who is high as a kite hanging out at the bar and drunk all the time. You choose ............. outside living each moment high on life or wasted all the time like 90% of the people up here

people come here to live the dream realize it "wasn't what they thought it was" pack up and leave after a couple months, you'll be a one hit wonder for sure
    Wow. You must of been valedictorian of your class. I was born and Colorado and spent my whole life in rural Vermont. Last time I checked (Bro), Vermont is pretty much in the middle of no where. I know your probably still living in your parents basement, smoking dope every day. I understand that you have a hard time comprehending what you are reading. Denver a hour and half away from summit county with 600,000 people! Vermont as a state doesn't even have 600,000 residents. You act like Summit county in northern Alaska, your dreaming (brah) have your mom wake you up from this horrible dream your having.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bipolarbear View Post
    Man, people sure seem miserable. Haters gonna hate.

Move to Frisco, you'll be able to catch a bus easily to Copper for work so you don't have to make the drive, which can be heinous on occasion. Frisco also has a good selection of bike trails right out your door, or a quick drive away. It will be more expensive there, but it's worth it. Dillon is great too, especially in the summer. The lake, Tiki bar, free concerts, ect. But Dillon will be a little further from your job in Copper.

Sure, there's lot's of tourists here. But if you pay attention, there are ways around the crowds. I just got back from a few hour tour where I saw absolutely nobody and got a few thousand feet of vert. Plus, the tourists are the ones who allow us to make a living and live here.

As long as you aren't driving at peak times, Denver and DIA are only 1.5-2 hours away. Plan around peak times and watch the weather and it's usually not bad at all.
    Thanks for the insight bipolarbear! Only took me 2 pages of replies to get one answer!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the insight bipolarbear! Only took me 2 pages of replies to get one answer!
    Now you have learned how the front range forum works. You are well on your way.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Wow. You must of been valedictorian of your class. I was born and Colorado and spent my whole life in rural Vermont.
    my bad as usual, i did have some issues finishing high school, your right, but my pure talent and ged allowed me to spend some quality time in bennington let me know when you get here and I'll show you some riding, it only lasts a few months a year but it's some of the best in the country my only tips are take the 802 sticker off your moms old saab when you get here you don't want to look like every other tool from vt, you make me remember my youth so well

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    There's no sugar coating it but not all housing in Summit is super expensive or requires two semi adolescent roommates, but you need a bit of detective work and luck to find the better deals. Frisco to Copper on I-70 is generally not too bad but when it's sketchy, it's very sketchy. The free bus is a good alternative but if the traffic is at a crawl it won't get you there any faster.

Someone mentioned bike commuting on the bike path. I'm not sure if they were implying you could do it in the winter, but they don't plow the path in the winter and there's some not insignificant avalanche paths that can hit the path so I wouldn't recommend the bike path as a winter route. In the summer though, it's fine.

There are a lot of trails right out of Frisco and trailheads for literally hundreds of miles of singletrack and jeep roads within a 10-15 min drive. The minus of mountain biking in Summit is the short season. The lower elevation trails start to open up in mid May and the high country isn't rideable till late June or early July. Snow usually starts by mid-late October. It makes for a short riding season but a long ski season.

There is a vibrant XC race scene in Summit if you're into that. There is a bi monthly evening race series as well as big races like the Firecracker 50, Breck 100 and Breck Epic. The US cycling Challenge road race has come through Breck every year and it's actually pretty cool (at least IMO).

Keystone is the big destination for lift served DH stuff. Breck offers lift served stuff but the trails are pretty tame by DH standards although they have submitted a plan for more trails - more "flow" type stuff than rad gnar stuff, but maybe more appealing to better riders than what's there presently. Copper offers some lift served trails but they seem to be an afterthought.

There are also lots of trail runners, paddlers, climbers, etc - the usual Mtn town assortment of hard and medium core athletes. The motorhead scene is there, but Summit is probably not the best place if that's important to you. Most (not all) of the recreation development is toward non motorized recreation.

The Eagles Nest Wilderness is next door to Frisco and the Gore range is pretty spectacular and most of it is rarely visited. If you're into hiking, backpacking or ski mountaineering it's an awesome mountain range.

The Summit Fat Tire Society is one of the older MTB .orgs in the state. It went a bit on the inactive side for a while but has been coming back the last few years is and is doing a lot of trail work with all the open space departments and the Forest Service. You can volunteer for trail projects with any number of organizations almost every weekend if you wanted.

As to social life and such, there are tons of bars with the usual stuff that comes with bars. There is some live music, but it's certainly no Austin. Big city culture is pretty small town but there are other things to do beside get drunk in bars, smoke lots of dope or participate in athletic activities. There is a good sense of community once you've been here a while.

There are lots of tourists but they are mostly harmless and not that hard to get away from. Get a mile or so away from a trailhead or a block or two away from Main street(s) and you'll be free of the crush.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ripper roo View Post
    my bad as usual, i did have some issues finishing high school, your right, but my pure talent and ged allowed me to spend some quality time in bennington let me know when you get here and I'll show you some riding, it only lasts a few months a year but it's some of the best in the country my only tips are take the 802 sticker off your moms old saab when you get here you don't want to look like every other tool from vt, you make me remember my youth so well
    Well, I'am one less person you have to worry about. I got my B.S. Degree and have worked a real job. Therefor, I've actually bought a nice car for myself. Last time I checked, the only people who put "802" sticker on their car are people from New Jersey.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Eagle is about 40 miles west of copper, and with a fat bike, you can ride almost all year. They're getting ready to open the trails officially the end of this month. The downside is that from Frisco or Dillon, you would have to drive over the Vail pass, and on a good snow year, that can be a challenge. Tourists tend to get ther cars sideways, resulting in the highway getting closed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Listen to the old geezer here who was skiing Jackson Hole back with only the old tram and no Après Vous mtn. Was good then but now a rip-off expensive, crowded, and so many condos that they have blocked the the way back from the Hobacks. My advice; skip it and go over to Grand Targhee. It poaches the powder that was headed to JH, doesn't have a tram or gondola, is far far cheaper and just plain better skiing.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    In this day and age, about every place gets tracked out in a few hours, give or take. I have a splitboard so I could less on how crowded the lift lines get.
    Not Jackson.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    <snip> Worse part is how much traffic/ tourist there is in the summer..
    Wait. This is a negative for you? And you're moving to SUMMIT COUNTY, COLORADO? This brings the LULZ.

friend of Apex
    There's no better feeling than driving 70 mph past a 5-10 mile bumper to bumper mess headed the other way.
    You don't get out much
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR View Post
    You don't get out much
    I was gonna say sex. Sex is a better feeling than that.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    On the surface maybe... But, if you imagine what's going on in those cars there's no way anything compares. You know there's a car with dad driving, mom sitting in the passenger seat yelling at him to "calm down, it isn't helping" and the "angels" in the back seat shouting "he's touching me!" And "I gotta potty". And then, there you are, just driving slightly above the posted limit. It's truly priceless.

mtbr member
    On the surface maybe... But, if you imagine what's going on in those cars there's no way anything compares. You know there's a car with dad driving, mom sitting in the passenger seat yelling at him to "calm down, it isn't helping" and the "angels" in the back seat shouting "he's touching me!" And "I gotta potty". And then, there you are, just driving slightly above the posted limit. It's truly priceless.
    But really there are much better things about living in the mountains than this,
    Empty Singletrack on a Tuesday morning
    Knowing everyone in the local race or group ride
    Powder days when everyone else is working and the port says 9" but it's really 15"
    Not sitting through traffic lights in deadlock
    Knowing the waitress and getting seated and served before the tourists that came in the door in front of you

I could go on, but then everyone would want to be a poor deadbeat local like me and the joy in these little things would be lost.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I'll give you that. But I do take pleasure in the suffering of others. Sue me... ;-)

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    When on occasion I encounter this I usually think, "Poor people, that can't be fun". Personally I don't think delighting in others misfortune is admirable.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    When on occasion I encounter this I usually think, "Poor people, that can't be fun". Personally I don't think delighting in others misfortune is admirable.
    Well - he had admitted to being a dimwit... so there's that.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Wow.. Some people have way to much free time on their hands.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Dumb naggers