Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2014

FRISCO or SILVERTHORNE / near cooper mtn

Good evening,

I am in the process or relocating to Colorado, preferably a short commute to cooper mtn. I recently got a job in the area and looking for 2 bedroom apartment for under 1,200 a month. I am also in the process of getting a new mountain bike, for single track and light lift service runs. Any recommendations on towns or places to live by, and adequate mountain bike for single track in the area would he greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

mtbr member
    What do you consider a short commute?

You've likely identified the closest, many live in Leadville though which is cheaper and not that far from Copper.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I've talked to someone who had a 2 bedroom in Dillion for under 1,200. Are the roads in good shape in winter between Dillion and breck/cooper?
    How long is the commute in winter ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Vermonter802 View Post
    I've talked to someone who had a 2 bedroom in Dillion for under 1,200. Are the roads in good shape in winter between Dillion and breck/cooper?
    How long is the commute in winter ?

Just want to clear up something. There are two ski areas near Summit that have similar names:

1) Copper Mountain - large resort 11 miles from Dillon
    2) Ski Cooper - smallish(but cool) ski hill 10 miles from Leadville, about 40 miles from Dillon.

Assuming you are talking about Copper Mountain, the drive in winter may be 15 minutes, or 45 minutes, depending on weather and traffic. About the same to Breck. There are free buses from Dillon to both Copper Mountain and Breck. I personally would not drive that commute without 4WD, but I'm sure someone will jump on saying they did it for years with an unloaded 2WD pickup with bald tires and had no problem. (Except for the 17 times they forgot about where they bummed a ride, and the three times they went into the ditch but their buddy with a Jeep pulled them out.)

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I have a a4 right now but trading in for subaru awd

mtbr member
    If you live in Dillon/Silverthorne, you can commute by bike to Copper. Might need some extra float in the winter. There are paved bike trails from Silverthorne to Copper. Avoid the traffic through Officer's Gulch and enjoy the massive slickensides on the east end of the gulch.

As for a 2 bed apartment for $1,200--good luck.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I already found one for around 1,200 in Dillion. Is there any disadvantages about living in Dillion?

mtbr member
    I already found one for around 1,200 in Dillion. Is there any disadvantages about living in Dillion?
    Sure. Your neighbors and/or roomates will try to steal your girlfriend and/or gear any chance they get. You'll have to smell your neighbors/roomates as well. Then, when you go to the bar you'll most likely find a group of dudes that want you to give them a ride in your A4 or subaru to this "spot" that they know sells good drugs.

If your job is really at Ski Cooper, oh man did you pick a winner. Welcome to the most boring winter of your life. If you are willing to embrace your inner redneck you'll have a better time.

BTW, Vermont and NY looking to be ski bums do better in Jackson Hole. I highly recommend it. Try Aspen as well.

Honestly though. The moves you are making are done by hundreds every year here. Isn't there a handbook for being a ski bum in Summit County by now? BTW, please bring your Vermont girlfriend. The zombies here need fresh meat.
    99% of the problems and questions posted here would be answered if people actually walked into a bicycle shop and asked

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I already know it's a meat wagon haha. Looking for seasonal housing for the summer, I already have a condo lined up in Breckenridge for the winter. I am more or a ski bum then a mountain biker, so I could careless about a "boring" winter... Did you comprehend that part where I said I was from Vermont ? Judging by your expertise, you should write a book.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Oh yeah, I visited Jackson Hole in Feb. I would say it's more of a meat wagon then Co. Plus, there not much to do in the summer, compared to a some what populated area in CO.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by vermonter802 View Post
    oh yeah, i visited jackson hole in feb. I would say it's more of a meat wagon then co. Plus, there not much to do in the summer, compared to a some what populated area in co.
    what?!?!

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Let me rephrase that. There plenty of stuff to do if you want to spend every minute outdoors, nothing wrong with that. Your nearest city is 3-4 hours away. Worse part is how much traffic/ tourist there is in the summer..

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Let me rephrase that. There plenty of stuff to do if you want to spend every minute outdoors, nothing wrong with that. Your nearest city is 3-4 hours away. Worse part is how much traffic/ tourist there is in the summer..
    I'll give you some of that - tourist traffic and the havoc they cause in the grocery store is hard to deal with. I lived there a for a few years a while (well, quite a while~15 yrs) back and must have blocked all the bad things from my old-man memory.

mtbr member
    Leadville is a real mountain town. Dillon/silverthorne is a shopping zone for tourists.

Seems like you know what you want so just figure out the rest when you get here. Why ask questions to strangers on the internet? Entertainment?

Buy a used mtn bike when you get here. Craigslist here is saturated with awesome bikes.
    99% of the problems and questions posted here would be answered if people actually walked into a bicycle shop and asked

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Your right. Why would anyone join a forum to ask questions.. Stupid me.
    thanks for the info, I didn't really think about the amount of bikes on craigslist.

not actually bad :)
    I don't see where you answered the Cooper vs Copper question?
    It will definitely change some of the answers, depending...
    Old Codger

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Copper mountain.

mtbr member
    Hope you like your mountains completely tracked by 9:30 am. The riding here in the spring/summer/fall (all of which fits into about 2.5 months) is awesome, though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    In this day and age, about every place gets tracked out in a few hours, give or take. I have a splitboard so I could less on how crowded the lift lines get.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I was about to try to offer some help, then I saw the word "splitboard". Good luck. 0

mtbr member
    Mar 2014

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    youll fit in perfectly in scummit county bro "IF YOU WANT TO SPEND EVERY MINUTE OUTDOORS" WTF???? you'll fit in perfectly with every dirt bag bro brah who is high as a kite hanging out at the bar and drunk all the time. You choose ............. outside living each moment high on life or wasted all the time like 90% of the people up here

people come here to live the dream realize it "wasn't what they thought it was" pack up and leave after a couple months, you'll be a one hit wonder for sure

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 69erEverything View Post
    Sure. Your neighbors and/or roomates will try to steal your girlfriend and/or gear any chance they get. You'll have to smell your neighbors/roomates as well. Then, when you go to the bar you'll most likely find a group of dudes that want you to give them a ride in your A4 or subaru to this "spot" that they know sells good drugs.

If your job is really at Ski Cooper, oh man did you pick a winner. Welcome to the most boring winter of your life. If you are willing to embrace your inner redneck you'll have a better time.

BTW, Vermont and NY looking to be ski bums do better in Jackson Hole. I highly recommend it. Try Aspen as well.

Honestly though. The moves you are making are done by hundreds every year here. Isn't there a handbook for being a ski bum in Summit County by now? BTW, please bring your Vermont girlfriend. The zombies here need fresh meat.
    what he said..........................

pm zrm, he'll set a young chap like you straight on mtn living

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I didn't even realize I miss spelled the mountain resort in the heading, dam auto correct. Job is at copper mountain, I didn't know there was a resort called cooper.

mtbr member
    I didn't even realize I miss spelled the mountain resort in the heading, dam auto correct. Job is at copper mountain, I didn't know there was a resort called cooper.
    You are aware of the traffic and tourists that fill summit county every weekend? How about the 2-3 hour delays on I-70 to get down to Denver? Construction on the Twin Tunnels starts Tuesday..April Fools Day!
    You will learn so much you didn't know. Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast