mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Frisco Peninsula Recreation Bike Park

The Town of Frisco announces a new bike park as part of Frisco Peninsula Recreation Area master plan. Public meeting March 3 from 5:00 to 7:00 in the Town Hall. Come and show your support!

The Town of Frisco Colorado is excited to announce a new Bike Park going in at the Frisco Peninsula Recreation Area. As many of you have seen, Frisco took a progressive approach to the ever growing Pine Beetle epidemic that is well know in Colorado. In an effort to improve the existing park, Frisco is currently working through potential concepts for the Frisco Peninsula Recreation Area which will include new facilities to create a visually appealing and fun place for people to enjoy many different recreational activates. An integral component of the park development is a new bike park. This bike park is being designed around all levels of riding and all styles of bicycles. If you are a beginner to advanced rider on a BMX or mountain bike we encourage you to come down to our first meeting on March 3 from 5:00 to 7:00 in the Town Hall and show your support for this new bike recreation facility. The meeting will be an informal setting allowing the public to speak with the designers and see the conceptual site plans for the new park. All we ask is that you bring ideas as to what types of riding you like to do. We are looking for as many people to come and share in this exciting time so that we can start building our riding community and give a real representation of the riders in the area. We know your out there so come say “Hi” and get your stoke on for this upcoming riding season.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    thats pretty cool- they should use some of that pine beetle to build some stunts

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    We're thinking the same thing. They have quite a bit of lumber from the site that we are thinking about treating and milling. Hopefully we will be able to use it for some wood features.

Half-Man, Half-Ounce
    May 2008
    Will this be summer use only?
    Any chance of grooming some winter trails for MTB along with the nordic trails?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    It hasn’t been discussed but could be a cool idea to incorporate some trail with the existing Nordic trails. During winter part of the park is going to be a tubing hill and jib park.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Strong work getting this going. I was at a holiday work party and was talking to a trail builder from keystone. He was talking about this then. Good to hear. I have to work otherwise I'd be there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    do you guys have pitch to work w/ because a ds course would be really nice-- as keystone would build one at the end of the year and tear it down 2 weeks later

there is so much dirtjumping and stuff in the area the park might want to think about how it could be different-- also wood features like the ones in breck are fun for a bit- then you master them and are bored so wood can only go so far

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    There is a nice pitch to the slope. It isn't super steep but is ideal for this kind of park. I am thinking that incorporating a 4-cross/DS course is a great idea. Maybe even put in starting gates. Hopefully this would allow for some sort of race series in the future.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    that would be awesome!! - I think that would bring a bunch of rider from the county over to Frisco as the park would not compete with the other stuff built all over the county and would add something new--
    Races could be incorporated into the summit series XC stuff-- that would be a ton of fun and give the locals a place to train!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I am suprised

I am suprised that the Frisco nature/not in my backyard nazis would allow this to happen.. After all they turned down Home Depot, Colorado Mtn college and are now trying to squash the affordable housing in the town..

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    There are no large hills on Frisco owned portion of the Peninsula and the hills in the FS portion are not very big; maybe a couple hundred vertical at most. Probably not enough for a DS. I'm surprised I haven't seen anything about this in the newspaper. Usually any kind of proposed use on the peninsula makes the news.

2fast4u: If it weren't for those "nature Nazis" there would be a golf course - and I don't mean disk - on the Frisco owned part of the peninsula.

Stand back
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm
    There are no large hills on Frisco owned portion of the Peninsula and the hills in the FS portion are not very big; maybe a couple hundred vertical at most. Probably not enough for a DS.
    I don't know if any 4x/ ds course in the MSC is 200vft. Maybe AF?
    To put it in perspective: Pando (just north of Grand Rapids, MI) hosted a Jeep King of the Mtn race a few years ago. Pando is 250vft...
    Last edited by dbabuser; 03-02-2009 at 09:57 AM.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 2fast4u
    I am suprised that the Frisco nature/not in my backyard nazis would allow this to happen.. After all they turned down Home Depot, Colorado Mtn college and are now trying to squash the affordable housing in the town..
    The community is an important component of the design phase that is being addressed. We are working with the Town of Frisco and incorporating the community to assure that the approval for the park addresses everyone involved. This is why it is so important to make the voice of the riding community heard. Attending all the meetings and public hearings is the best way for us to establish the need and desire for a facility like this. I encourage you to come to the first meeting on Tuesday and bring as many riders as you can to show the town how important this project is to our riding community.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser
    To put it in perspective: Pando (just north of Grand Rapids, MI) hosted a Jeep King of the Mtn race a few years ago. Pando is 250vft...
    I don't know much about 4X or DS, but the only part of the peninsula that has any kind of real vertical relief is on FS land. To put it in perspective, all the green Nordic trails are on Frisco land and one blue loop (Frisco Bay). there are parts of Buzz saw and Jody's Nugget on TOF land, but these are still only 100 -150' vert tops - you can skate strait up them on the groomed Nordic trails - they're steep, but short. The only Nordic trail that is sustained steep is called Reichals Retreat which goes from the top of Jody's nugget to almost the lake shore and riding down that trail in the summer takes about 2 minutes on my wimpy little XC race bike. The other summer trail that has a sustained grade goes off of the same ridge and drops you at the boat ramp. It's about the same vert as Reichals, but not as steep so a little longer. Both are on FS land and neither are what you would call rad by big bike standards.

Anyway, since the TOF already has a little skate park (and I think they are talking about improving it) and ball fields i guess it's not too surprising that they are considering something like a bike park. Kind of funny though because they've had all these grandious schemes to put everything from a small golf course to an amphitheater out there -which have been repeatedly shot down by the citizens by a wide margin - but they've always ignored the great mountain bike system that has been there for 15-20 years.

Like I said though, gravity stuff isn't my cup of tea so what do I know, maybe something like that will work, but if you're going strait down the fall line it won't take very long to get from the top to the bottom on any of the hill on TOB property..

deez nuts

Sweet!

Wow, this is great news. Summit County has a rather large population of Downhill, slalom and mountain cross riders that don't have a lot of legal options to suit their riding style. The Town of Breckenridge (Scott Reid, Trails Planner) has done a lot af great work in the Breck area and this new addition in Frisco will compliment that nicely.

I hear there is a potential BMX track....this especially excites me. BMX does really well on the Front Range and it's a great, exciting avenue for the kids to get into something positive. The last time I was at the BMX track there were a bunch of families hanging out...mom's and dad's riding with the kids etc. Very cool.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser
    Ah...the memories, I remember some good times at Pando

I agree that you don't need a lot of vert for a decent 4x course. Also, a BMX track would be a stellar choice I think.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    OK, Shows how much I know about 4X and dual slalom. I always thought 4X was pretty much run on somewhat wider DH or DS type courses only 4 at a time. I knew they didn't last long but always thought they need at least a few hunderd vert.

mtbr member
    I'd love to see something materialize, but wonder how realistic or far away it might be with the economic downturn.

Breckenridge's pump track is a great addition to a stellar trail network. It may be small and pretty tight...but it's awesome the town was progressive enough to have the foresight and council backing to get the pump track built. I've even read of some guys shuttling higher trails via the free bus service up Boreas...and then finishing it off with a few loops on the pump track...just 100yds from the bus stop at the ice rink. imagine pumping along while waiting for your next free ride up the mountain?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tehBondo
    Will this be summer use only?
    Any chance of grooming some winter trails for MTB along with the nordic trails?
    XC skiers are worse than hikers when it comes to their trails. If the XC stuff gets f up they'll shut it down for sure.
    you can get passed a dog... nobody fuks with a lion