Thread: Frisco in July

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Frisco in July

I am planning a Clark Griswold style road trip in July with the wife, daughter and dog. Planning to be away from home/work for two weeks. Wife's family has a place in Frisco that we will use as base camp. We have been out several times in the winter but never in summer. Of course I am bringing the bike. Would like some input on area rides. Looking for some options in the 15-25 mile range. I am a lowlander but I'm not afraid to suffer. I am slow but am ok with Tech. I'll be in the area for 8-10 days depending on the drive out.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. (I promise I won't ask what tires I should run).

Thanks

lucky enough
    Good time to go. Check out this thread for a discussion of trails.
    Honeymoon Week! - Riding destination help near Breck/Frisco/Keystone

There's a link in that thread for a trail map of the area around Breck.
    You'll have fun.
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Climb the highest steepest hills in your area repeatedly. Then repeat again. You'll get "used" to the altitude after 4 days in Frisco and things will be easier, lung wise, but bring your strongest legs.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    It will be mentioned over and over, so I'll be the first: the Peaks Trail from town up and over to Breck. Ride it back or do the mostly downhill bike path along rt. 9 back to town. Wide single track with plenty of rrots and rocks, stop at joint point and observe the beetle kill, down to town past peak 8 base area (find the single track under the gondola instead of the road) and soak your feet in the Blue before you head back.

Across the street from Frsico is the bike park; pretty big jumps, not sure if it is you're thing.

Drive into Breck, actually just before town, and ride the Colorado trail and Dredge boat trails.

"We're only bike terrorists, 5:30, second Friday, Berkley BART" -Jeff Ott, fifteen

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Be aware that if you choose to do some higher altitude rides, there is the very real threat of lightning storms that move in by noon or just slightly later time frame during the summer (doesn't happen everyday but is extremely common). Being as you mention you would like to do up to 25 mile rides, make sure to start your rides early with the intention of being out of the higher altitude areas by noon while always paying attention to the weather. And always keep in mind if things are starting to look dicey weather wise, head back.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by rmalling View Post
    It will be mentioned over and over, so I'll be the first: the Peaks Trail from town up and over to Breck. Ride it back or do the mostly downhill bike path along rt. 9 back to town.
    If anyone rides *UP* the Peaks Trail to Breck and then rides *down* the paved path back to Frisco, I will personally show up in Frisco and:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    If anyone rides *UP* the Peaks Trail to Breck and then rides *down* the paved path back to Frisco, I will personally show up in Frisco and:

Yeah, you should only ride the paved path

MK_
    carpe maņana
    If your wife is really awesome, she'll drop you off at Kenosha Pass trailhead and wait for you in Breck or Frisco.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The town of Breck open space is revising it's map to show all the trails in the county that have been brought into the system. It is by far, the best MTB map in the county. It will be available in bike shops, etc. You can also check out the loops from the various races in the county - The Firecracker, Breck 100, Breck Epic as well as the Wednesday night series (Summit Mountain Challenge) Google is your friend finding the websites with those routes. The free ride guide published by the local newspaper is also widely available. Also: don't be too afraid to get lost. As long as you don't cross over the divide onto the east slope, as long as you descend, you'll end up back at the Blue River somewhere.

There is also a lot of great road riding in the county.

Living the High Life
    The strangest things happen on this forum from time to time. We give advice...

I'd suggest taking the lift/gondola to the top of both Vail and Keystone. They have multiple loops at the top of the mountain and then you get 2,000+ vert back to the base. Keystone has breathtaking views of lake Dillon in the summer. You'll hit the bike park on the way down. Blues and greens are great even on a hard tail. And if you are feeling tech friendly at Vail hit PMT on the way down. It might make you think those DH guys have the right idea...
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    And some one give Bacon Boy some rep.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks for all the suggestions. Looks like I will have plenty of good stuff to choose from. I really like the idea of getting the wife to run a shuttle for me. That might cost me a spa day.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Frisco In July.............

Can't wait................