Thread: Friends of SSV

mtbr member

Friends of SSV

Kudos to ignazjr and the Redstone posse for clearing downfall from north Sourdough and lower South St. Vrain.

Sourdough/SSV deadfall

Now it's time for us other FoSSV to step up. I rode Little Raven and SSV Saturday thinking I'd GPS waypoint the downfall and return later. After about 15 stops I gave up. There's really only one big one on LR but upper SSV (Mitchel Road down to Sourdough) is a mess.

I contacted BMA and was told they don't specifically do sawing work. Ignazjr told me that they used hand chain saws very effectively, even on large trees. I think the USFS doesn't allow power chain saws without a permit so I'm going to buy a hand saw

Ultimate Survival Technologies SaberCut Saw at REI.com

and get at 'em. I hope others will too.

Anyone interested in forming a FoSSV ride to work on this?.

Thanks. dD
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who count in binary, and those who don't.

Now older but less slow!
    I could be interested in this. I don't mind giving back to the community.

Though I'm not sure this board is much of a community with all the fighting and bad mouthing going on these days.......

Oh, So Interesting!
    Sure, let me know...

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

ride
    Let me know and I'll try to go and/or send some other peeps up. thanks DD!
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    So I bought a 24" chain saw at REI ($30) and I'm going to start cutting tomorrow (Saturday, June 23). I plan to park at the west end of SSV (Mitchel Lake road) and ride down. If I remember correctly, the first trees are on the new section that skirts the wilderness. I'll also bring my folding saws but they're only good for branches up to about 4".

If anyone wants to join in, you're welcome. I can carpool with others from Boulder too. Just PM me (w phone #) and we can coordinate.
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who count in binary, and those who don't.

banned
    You might want to peep this thread before slingin' a chainsaw up there.

mtbr member
    It's a manual chainsaw, not motorized. See link in my OP.

banned
    Outstanding, do well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I'm in whenever. Actually, I'm heading up that way Sunday, maybe 11-12noon-ish? I can bring a saw as well if want to turn it into a party...

mtbr member
    I can only do tomorrow. It's OK though, plenty of trees for everyone. I might post tomorrow night with advise as to where to start but you could go anywhere. In fact, the Sourdough Trail on either side of Brainard Lake road has a few trees. That would be quick to get to from the parking lot just east of the pay shack.
    Thanks
    dD

mtbr member

fwiw

i'm not an REI-h8ter, but you can also get these from the Colorado Trail Foundation, and although a bit more $$ you may prefer where the proceeds are going.

Pocket Chainsaw

super cool tool, just remember to bring a friend.
    -
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

Now older but less slow!
    On the BMA BOSS ride today we took out five or six more trees. Little Raven is now clear I believe, and the upper SSV trail has a few less trees. There are still a couple of big ones though.

Sourdough, south of SSV still has some trees across it.

mtbr member

Good luck.

Those little "hand saws" are nice, but not as efficient as one of these:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kerryn View Post
    On the BMA BOSS ride today we took out five or six more trees. Little Raven is now clear I believe, and the upper SSV trail has a few less trees. There are still a couple of big ones though.

Sourdough, south of SSV still has some trees across it.
    Great news! Thanks a lot. We should get it all clear with a little more work. Did you get the large chest-high tree on LR? It's just before the old downed tree that is in-line with the trail. I was dreading working on that one.

Mrs. danger and I got about 7 trees out from the wilderness reroute section of upper SSV. She was good at conscripting inocent bikers and hikers passing through. We left a few roll-overs though - I like them.

Sourdough between SSV creek and the Brainard road still has a few big ones. This would be easy access from the new parking lot. I might go after these next.

Now older but less slow!
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerDan View Post
    Did you get the large chest-high tree on LR? It's just before the old downed tree that is in-line with the trail. I was dreading working on that one.

Mrs. danger and I got about 7 trees out from the wilderness reroute section of upper SSV. She was good at conscripting inocent bikers and hikers passing through. We left a few roll-overs though - I like them.
    Alas not. That one was too big for our tools. Come to think of it, we didn't even try that one.

We left the roll overs as well. We saw the work done on upper SSV. Good job. We continued with the next trees we saw down, so actually I think all of SSV is now clear (can't exactly remember as I was oxygen staved at the time ). The ones I was thinking we left were actually that large one on LR and a couple we came across on Sourdough.

banned
    Every time I plan to head up for trailwork with two of my friends, we never make it past the garage.

mtbr member

SSV cutting ride Saturday, July 7.

A few of us are planning to ride SSV tomorrow to cut some of the remaining trees (SSV west of Sourdough). Rain is likely so we'll try to get started early-ish, say 9:30 at the Brainard fee station parking lot. This isn't overly organized. If interested, just show up (with manual saw if you have one), start riding and cutting or look for others you can help. You can always stop and do one cut with us, then ride on. It'll make you feel good and build up a little karma.

lucky enough
    I rode this yesterday and I don't remember seeing any downfall.
    I know you reported it was a mess a couple of weeks ago. Either it's been cleared, we're talking about a different section (SSV West from the junction with Sourdough?), or I was totally unobservant.
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

mtbr member
    Thanks for the beta. I hope you're right, then we'll have a nice ride. Did you ride Sourdough south of SSV? That had a few big trees a few weeks ago to but we were thinking that the rangers would cut them out because that's a more popular hiking/biking trail.

lucky enough
    Yes, I rode Sourdough between SSV and Little Raven. It's pretty clear - someone has been doing a lot of work.
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine