mtbr member

New question here. Friendly advice, Winterpark/Fraser...

Hi ya'll,

I'm planning a trip to take my family up to Winterpark or Fraser. I'm a long time XC rider and my wife is a roadie just beginning MTB. Lifts and some easy/moderate DH sounds fun, but we'd like to be able to do some more XC/AM riding too.

Would anyone be so kind to give us some insight to the areas, recommendations and perhaps trail recommendations? Any good websites with the local trails? Best/freindly LBS's?

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    The Winter Park website has decent trail maps. Can't go wrong with the stuff on the west side of the valley - Zoom, Flume, Chainsaw, Elk Creek, Tipperaray...

The Notorious S.L.O
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    The Winter Park website has decent trail maps. Can't go wrong with the stuff on the west side of the valley - Zoom, Flume, Chainsaw, Elk Creek, Tipperaray...
    X2 on the XC trails in the experimental forest area, fun, fast trails, easy to put together some beginner friendly rides that don't look or feel like typical beginner trails.

Not much of a DH rider, never ridden at Winter Park.
    Also, never entered a single bike shop in the area, can't help out there.
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.
    "All I need is.......two wheels and the truth."

mtbr member
    some info on this thread

good recommendations by SkaredShtles on rides.

also there's a great map of the wp/fraser trail system ... i can't recall the name off the top of my head but you can pick it up at icebox mountain sports in fraser (next to the ace hardware).
    scott & marie-ange (the owners) are great folks who can suggest some rides and will know trail conditions.

hope that helps.

ride
    Quote Originally Posted by btadlock
    Also, never entered a single bike shop in the area, can't help out there.
    Totally Wired Cyclery in Fraser is the place. Wade Wilderman owns it and Rocky Mt Roastery. He's a super good guy. Wade is also the "W" in the WTB trail if that tells you anything
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    When do you plan on going to WP? Might not be rideable yet. Anybody know if anything's rideable up there yet with all the snowfall we had this winter?

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by kosayno
    When do you plan on going to WP? Might not be rideable yet. Anybody know if anything's rideable up there yet with all the snowfall we had this winter?
    The Arrow snotel site says there's still almost 4-1/2 feet of snow on the ground in Winter Park.

mtbr member
    UH 12 more inch's of that white stuff is coming to the MTN's 2night to bad ski season is over..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    The Arrow snotel site says there's still almost 4-1/2 feet of snow on the ground in Winter Park.
    Looks like I'm gonna need some studded tires for the Hill Climb Kickoff next month then.

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus2112
    Any good websites with the local trails?
    http://www.epicsingletrack.com/defau...e=funmaps.html

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Klein_Christopher
    UH 12 more inch's of that white stuff is coming to the MTN's 2night to bad ski season is over..
    Who says ski season is over?

mtbr member
    Thanks all for the great info.

We're now leaning twords staying in Fraser. I'm looking for more XC/Trail than downhill. Great info about the maps and shops, we'll be sure to start there.

Snow has got me worried. Is there snow on the trails around Fraser, or only up on the ski areas?

Farva's #1
    Just letting everyone know the weather up here has been amazing the last few days. Tons of snow is melting. A few local trails might be okay to ride in a week or so. The resort however, is not even close. Our golf course, which had huge drifts on Friday, is just about completely bare.

I heard the storm is moving a little south, more towards Denver.

Slopestyle Rider
    The hill climb road is completely clear all the way to the top. The snow is melting fast but the resort trails are a good 3-4 weeks away from being ridable.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Another spot to look at that is only about 20 mins from Fraser is SolVista, which is in Granby. You can check out a mountain cam at http://www.solvistasnow.com