Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Big Boned

Friday, Siver Dale

Hey all - I'm thinking of riding Silver Dale, or possibly Silver Creek on Friday, if anyone is interested in joining me and seeing the Turn Of Doom for themselves.

No time set yet, just thinking ahead.

Anyone? Time preferences?
    Never rub another man's rhubarb.

mtbr member

Interested

Just marked Friday as a day off... Let me know how that thing develops, where to meet and when.

Big Boned
    I'm flexible. If we leave early enough, we might have time to do the BIG loop. We can shuttle from Georgetown up to Silver Plume and start there.

icegeek is hot
    Quote Originally Posted by Manmountain Dense
    I'm flexible. If we leave early enough, we might have time to do the BIG loop. We can shuttle from Georgetown up to Silver Plume and start there.
    I wanna go!! But by the time you're done with your most excellent ride I'll be wedged in an RJ headed back to Denver. I'm in Tucson all week.

Kaba Klaus, you made a very wise decision. Riding up there's like Fruita ... only in Lord of the Rings.

Lucky dogs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TVC15
    I wanna go!! But by the time you're done with your most excellent ride I'll be wedged in an RJ headed back to Denver. I'm in Tucson all week.
    Hey I fly RJs! At least there are no middle seats!

mtbr member
    Flexible is bad. Be decisive. Take a lead and tell me. Where and when. I'll be drafting behind you all the way anyway. First because you know the area and I would get lost. Second just because.

BTW: Two data points for planning... I live in Fort Collins and will ride my 30 something pounder. My lightweight XC bike broke on the rough Front Range trails.

Looking forward to it!!!

Big Boned
    Funny. I'm a clyde (225) and I'll be riding my 35+ lb. Nomad. So it's good to know you won't be dropping me too badly. I climb slow, but I have gravity on my side on the way down...

Well, 10 AM in Georgetown at the visitor's center? I'll take a peek at the conditions up high and see whether an excursion to the BIG loop is feasible. If so, we can shuttle up to Plume and start our ride there. If not, we can ride from Georgetown. If we do the BIG loop, it'll take about 4-5 hours. If not, figure 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaba Klaus
    Flexible is bad. Be decisive. Take a lead and tell me. Where and when. I'll be drafting behind you all the way anyway. First because you know the area and I would get lost. Second just because.

BTW: Two data points for planning... I live in Fort Collins and will ride my 30 something pounder. My lightweight XC bike broke on the rough Front Range trails.

Looking forward to it!!!

Big Boned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaba Klaus
    Flexible is bad.
    Does that mean you're one of these "inflexibles" I keep hearing about?

Really I am that slow

hummmmm

would y'all mind waiting for a slow fixie rider? (or at least draw lines on a map?)

I may be able to get u pon friday

hummmmm nice warm up to the igssc?
    Read my BLOG!

Nipple twister and bike builder at Borealis

http://www.borealisbikes.com/

mtbr member
    Confirmed. 10 am Georgetown visitor center!

@SlowerThanSnot: Yes, I'll always wait for the poor bloke who has not yet discovered two of the biggest achievements of civilization. Happy to show you how gears work

@Manmountain Dense: No, I am not an inflexible (at least they did not tell me that I am one) - but I do ride with them from time to time. WRT bike weight... looks like you and your bike are aligned. For me it is different more like an asparagus on fatt tires.

Looking forward to it!!

mtbr member
    Hey all - I'm thinking of riding Silver Dale, or possibly Silver Creek on Friday, if anyone is interested in joining me and seeing the Turn Of Doom for themselves.

No time set yet, just thinking ahead.

Anyone? Time preferences?
    Silver Dale? What's it like? Any route maps? Thanks!
    Peace out and stay cool!

Big Boned
    bittles: It's up by Georgetown. Offers a little something for everyone -- long climb, short fast fire road DH, rolling techy XC, skinnines, steep singletrack DH, the Turn of Doom... It's fun. No maps yet, actually one reason I want to ride this Friday is because I need to GPS it, going to try to make a map this winter for next season. I say, just come and check it out.

SNOT -- I think the only part you may have trouble with on a fixie will be the jeep road downhill. Do you run brakes? If so, it should be no problem.

WEATHER -- we may get some snow today/tonight/tomorrow, which will put a bit of a damper on this route as it's mostly north-facing. I will post regarding conditions tomorrow evening...

Really I am that slow
    bittles: It's up by Georgetown. Offers a little something for everyone -- long climb, short fast fire road DH, rolling techy XC, skinnines, steep singletrack DH, the Turn of Doom... It's fun. No maps yet, actually one reason I want to ride this Friday is because I need to GPS it, going to try to make a map this winter for next season. I say, just come and check it out.

SNOT -- I think the only part you may have trouble with on a fixie will be the jeep road downhill. Do you run brakes? If so, it should be no problem.

WEATHER -- we may get some snow today/tonight/tomorrow, which will put a bit of a damper on this route as it's mostly north-facing. I will post regarding conditions tomorrow evening...
    I run a brake sometimes two... I'm nuts but not crazy

Looks like it won't happen I forgot I have plans for thursday night. So i'd have to ride up after those plans and then i'd be kinna shot for the ride on friday
    Read my BLOG!

Nipple twister and bike builder at Borealis

http://www.borealisbikes.com/

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    I may be able to make this depending on how work goes. I'll be on my 35'ish pound HT with the single ring up front so that makes me weight proportional. Not that it makes any difference, it could be 20 pounds and I'd still be slow on the climbs.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

Big Boned
    Sweet. Well, as long as you can climb, say, White Ranch, you'll be able to hack this climb. There are some short steep spots but the majority of it is on an old railroad grade and so it's not that steep, just a grind...

Right now it's sunny and nice up here, there has been some rain but I don't think much snow, at least nothing that's sticking. Will report more when I know more. Right now, looking good.

Big Boned
    Spoke too soon. Snowing now... Hehe.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Sweet. Well, as long as you can climb, say, White Ranch, you'll be able to hack this climb. There are some short steep spots but the majority of it is on an old railroad grade and so it's not that steep, just a grind...

Right now it's sunny and nice up here, there has been some rain but I don't think much snow, at least nothing that's sticking. Will report more when I know more. Right now, looking good.
    Nah, I'd be fine. It's only the really steep climbs that are a problem and then I just put it in two feet drive.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

tiny rider
    I'm likely, as long as the trails are in shape. I intend to prove that 'the curve of mild discomfort' has the ability to terrify at least me

Big Boned
    I don't know about higher up, but here at my place (8,000 feet), no snow stuck. Today is supposed to be cool but clear, tomorrow high of 60 and "windy." My guess is we're in good shape, we may have to ride through some snowy patches but I think the trail will be clear.

mtbr member
    hey bill,

if you shuttle up top to start, how much of this ride would be different than what you showed TVC and me last week?

not sure yet if i can spare the time away, but i'll keep my eye on this thread.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    What's the clearance, Clarence?

Big Boned
    I think we're good, the north-facing stuff across the highway (up around 9K) doesn't look like it has too much snow on it. We may hit some patches up high but we won't be over 10K so I think we'll be fine. 10 AM, Georgetown Visitor Center, good to go.

If we shuttle, we'd just drive up to the train station in Silver Plume and cut off that whole climb from Georgetown. Saves us about 45 minutes so, or about 20 if we climb the bike path instead of the trail but -- "windy" doesn't sound like fun riding up Georgetown Hill along the interstate.

See y'all there!

>EDIT< I meant to say, I don't think FAT is in the cards, as it's close to tree line and I think it's probably got some snow cover on the top.

icegeek is hot
    I meant to say, I don't think FAT is in the cards, as it's close to tree line and I think it's probably got some snow cover on the top.
    Hola you. Could you do me a favor and post up a trail report after your ride? From the looks of the weather forcast, I'm looking to hit the area on Saturday. Ideally (but I realize unrealistically) ride Nott up and over FAT, then return via SilverDale. Any trail 411 on trail conditions would be much appreciated.

Have fun tomorrow you guys!!

(I'm still jealous.)

trail waggler

Uhh, dogs?...

Would this be a dog friendly ride? (Cindee is young, fit, and very gung-ho...)

Sounds like a great time, but I'm still on the fence, (big stack o'bills).

BTW, here at '8400 near Allenspark, we only have very patchy snow...
    MY dog can lick YOUR dog!

Big Boned
    Dog friendly... Hmm. Well, only if we shuttled it from Silver Plume, otherwise there's some road sections to get to the trail (or a ride up the bike path along I-70) -- if she was leashed during those sections, that might be okay.

However, there is a healthy mile+ of rocky and rutted jeep road downhill involved, and the road does see traffic. A dog would have trouble keeping up with bikes on that section, I think. Plus, you know, there's jeeps. May not be recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by daveM
    Would this be a dog friendly ride? (Cindee is young, fit, and very gung-ho...)

Sounds like a great time, but I'm still on the fence, (big stack o'bills).

BTW, here at '8400 near Allenspark, we only have very patchy snow...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast