Feeding your addiction

Freshies, get your ice cold freshies here.....

Little nippy out there today! Decided to brave the cold in hope of some fresh tracks on the Backbone. Unfortunately a few hikers had gotten there first, so it was a little chewed up and difficult to ride. Have to hit it before the hikers, or after they pack it down more. About 50/50 riding/hiking on the way up (only went to the base of the steep climb), but rode 90% coming down. Fun to get out though. Tscheezy made me some sweet pogies, those things are great! Single digit temps and my hands were toasty warm with just a pair of mid-weight riding gloves. A few pics.....
    1. View of the Bone from the entrance
    2. Singletrack - the only spot on the trail not chewed up by hikers
    3. Sweet pogies, thanks Philip!!
    4. Definitely single-speed conditions today
    5. End of the line for today

Larry Mettler
    http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

mtbr member
    Nice pics...I beat the hikers by hitting the trails at 6am (see my other post "Chilli Palmer"). Can't imagine a SS in the snow though! What tires are you running? I'm running Wierwolf 2.5's at about 30lbs in the snow - they work great.
    Phillipians 2:3-8 "...but (Christ) made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant..."

Time is not a road.
    Nice...Dave and I are probably going to hit it Sat morn. It's supposed to be warmer, but hopefully not too warm to where it's melting.

Not because I'm fast.....

Hi Larry....nice pics!

Quote Originally Posted by Ventanarama
    Little nippy out there today! Decided to brave the cold in hope of some fresh tracks on the Backbone. Unfortunately a few hikers had gotten there first, so it was a little chewed up and difficult to ride. Have to hit it before the hikers, or after they pack it down more. About 50/50 riding/hiking on the way up (only went to the base of the steep climb), but rode 90% coming down. Fun to get out though. Tscheezy made me some sweet pogies, those things are great! Single digit temps and my hands were toasty warm with just a pair of mid-weight riding gloves. A few pics.....
    1. View of the Bone from the entrance
    2. Singletrack - the only spot on the trail not chewed up by hikers
    3. Sweet pogies, thanks Philip!!
    4. Definitely single-speed conditions today
    5. End of the line for today

Larry Mettler
    http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com
    Nice pics Larry! Just got in from my 8degree commute to work. I cut some fresh tracks on a few unshoveled sidewalks, but its just not the same as singletrack. Nice SS you got there too, how's it ride?

Hope you and your family had a nice holiday and happy new year!

Chris

FleshwoundGravityResearch

pogies?

Hey Larry, can you elaborate on the pogies? Did he make them from scratch? Are they heated or just a wind break?

ps: Where's my turner? Kevin

old skool newbie

pogie ??

[QUOTE=mtn hack]Hey Larry, can you elaborate on the pogies? Did he make them from scratch? Are they heated or just a wind break?

and what if you need to ditch it quickly, locked into the pedals and the hands
    still, it just might work

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

elephant mitts, that's what the motorcycle world calls 'em

i was gonna ask what pogies were... but then i saw the pics. those of you wondering, you can search on elephant mitts, or hippo hands in the motorcycle world. nothing is coming to mind at the moment though... basically they slip on over the bars and velcro tight around all the cables. larrys are probably not heated, but definitely a wind breaker (and with the puffy insulation... toasty!). i actually never even thought of using them on the mtb. huh? go figure.

Larry, what's up guy? you and everybody else that rides in single speeds AND single digits are crazy! Hey, have you been noticing my posts on the titus? someone in there said you helped build them one or they got parts from you or something.... anyways, do you work with the tituses (or is it "ti-ti": focus, foci, locus, loci, titus...titi?)? as you've probably read, im looking into the SM and would love to pick your brain on that one too, if your so inclined. Also, if I end up with one, I'd love to have you help me purchase/build it, since you've been so helpful already. I wanna give you the business!

like one other poster, hope you had a good christmas! and again....single digits?!?!?

mike