Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!

Freezing Springs Night Ride 12/4/13

It sounds like Wednesday is going to be a cold one! I suggest we do Palmer Park because it's the easiest in the snow (if we get any) and we will be relatively close to the cars.

BTW, I'm 80% on this ride--if we get a ton of snow I'm probably out this time (for baby sitter reasons--not the snow of course!)

the Chain Guy
    I'm a maybe. Not sure how much motivation I'll have to ride in that kind of cold. Unless Chris is bringing a thermos of that rum something or other. That could be a game changer.

Team Inflexible
    Quote Originally Posted by bismirle View Post
    thermos of that rum something or other. That could be a game changer.
    It is a game changer!

<100%
    11 degrees for high on wed. sounds like fun but not sure I want to deal with the highway if it's snowing. maybe...

I'm with stupid
    sounds cold!!!

You rode that?!
    Nov 2010
    I am out for this one and all cold rides until my new cold weather shoes arrive.

mtbr member
    You guys are nuts. What kind of gloves even support that weather?

Rode 20 hours last week because I knew this was coming. Rest week, perfect time to grab some 6 packs and let them chill outside.

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    perfect time to grab some 6 packs and let them chill outside.
    Yes, I prefer to do that in my Camelbak though !

I have a pair of Outdoor Research gloves that work very well in those temps. The key is to get going, and then stop a few minutes afterwards so that your warm blood goes to your fingers and toes instead of your hungry legs. If you take that step, you can keep warm even in pretty cold conditions.

<100%
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    You guys are nuts. What kind of gloves even support that weather?
    I use my ski gloves - Black Diamonds circa 1992 - best $180 I ever spent. I think it's easier to keep your hands warm on a bike than a lift.....feet are another thing altogether. Winter shoes, two pair of socks, pair of foot warmers inside, neoprene foot covers.....still they get cold - I think it goes right through the cleats. Those kind of temps, may only be good for 2 - 3 hours max. Some prefer flats and winter boots for warmth but I prefer being clipped in.

Don't let them chill too long!

Goat Head
    I'd like reply to ALL these posts in one picture

Freezing Springs Night Ride 12/4/13-20131203_171224%5B1%5D.jpg

B- Hell yes I have the game changer on hand! Sailor Jerry's and hot apple cider mix! I want to try and find those little paper cups that insane asylums use for pills...not for pills though, just for doling out the hot elixir.

I don't believe in one ultimate glove. I carry two to three depending on the temps. From left to right (and respectively thinnest to thickest), Dakine spring ski glove (no insulation), Specialized Deflect glove (moderate insulation), and and old pair of Marmot Randonee ski gloves (moderate down insulation with a super supple leather palm for good grip feel). Some people I know use Smart Wool liners under a moderate glove with great effect.

There are two types of people in this world when it comes to active body temperature moderation: those who don't mind pulling off that outer layer and those that would rather pit-drip than stop moving. I can't stand to sweat my clothes and gloves when it is cold out so I swap gloves out a fair amount--which is when your pants' pockets really come in handy. Winter is conquerable.

I ride Five Ten Impact shoes in the winter. They are devoid of vents and have no cleat to siphon off heat from the bottom of your foot. Winter rides are always shorter, you are more likely to throw a foot out in a snowy corner, and pushing your bike around becomes more common place. Luckily for me, I ride platforms on my DH bike in the summer, so I'm use to how my feet bobble a little in the rough. If you are interested in a platform setup, buy Five Ten's specifically, because their rubber is unparalleled. Don't cheap out on the pedals either, get large surface, thin side profile, nicely pinned pedals. These are what I run on the DH bike. The Five Tens come in a high top version as well as a lace-covered version called the Karver.

<100%
    Glad you clarified that picture. I thought to myself, I don't recall him having three right hands and only one foot....

Candlestick Maker
    Well, I can't join you all for tomorrow's freeze fest...but, looking at the hourly forecast, you'll be dealing with temps in the 8-11 degree range. D@mn cold, but can certainly be dealt with. When it gets that cold, I ride flat pedals, with winter socks and boots, moose mitts on the bars, full on ski jacket, skull cap under helmet, and long tights. It's doable for me, but not for too long.

InbredSnowRide

baker
    baker

mtbr member
    I am out for one more ride

the Chain Guy
    With the way work has been I'm out for tomorrow. Have fun guys.

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    I am using those 5:10s that I bought from you for my winter shoes this year. They are a full size too big and can fit extra socks without cutting into circulation. The first ride in the winter was good but tomorrow will be a true test. I just wish that 5:10s had a little extra traction on the snow!

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    OK, I just want to do a pulse check. I think the snow is going to be a non-issue, but it's really fricken cold out. It looks from the picture that Chris is preparing to come, but I'm not sure if anyone else is interested in some adventure. Who's in at this point?

The Fastest of Bananas
    Which trailhead are y'all meeting at?

I may be down depending on the amount of snow. My "racy" bike is my only one put together right now, and it was pretty crappy in the snow last week.

<100%
    I think I am out. The ride sounds fun but the highway won't be. I rode around HR last night as the storm came in - temp's below 20. I got a nice smooth coating of ice head to toe. Feet were numb after about a hour and a half. Only wore one pair of socks and the winter shoes. It's going to take more than that tonight. Temps look to be around 9 degrees by 6 o'clock. Have fun!

Goat Head
    Latest update on the weather says - 8 at 6 o'clock. Uhh, I'm only going if it creeps back in to the positives.

TheInflexibles(.com)

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Quote Originally Posted by FastBanana View Post
    Which trailhead are y'all meeting at?

I may be down depending on the amount of snow. My "racy" bike is my only one put together right now, and it was pretty crappy in the snow last week.
    We meet at the lot on the west side of the park off of Paseo and Chelton at 6:00. Stay tuned to this thread this afternoon if you think you're coming. I'm sure we'll be updating throughout the day depending on what the conditions do.

I did it all for the kudo
    I'm having a hard time finding motivation for the ride tonight. I don't mind cold weather, but damn, tonight old man Winter is keeping it real!
    I might just be riding a bar stool.
    Not to thread jack, but if anyone is interested in meeting up somewhere warm with a good beer selection let me know.

gotta get up to get down
    *cough*Bristol*cough*

the Chain Guy
    The snow is picking up at my house. Once I'm off this conference call I'm hitting Ute. This way I can bail if my fingers go numb.

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    It's cold out! So is the official call to bag the ride? If so, I'm cool with that. Im out for beers though--that will save the babysitter.

Team Inflexible
    So here is what I plan on doing. With the fresh snow I really want to ride. So I plan on doing a quick 45 - 60 minute ride from the house with no stops in order to stay warm, then meet you folks at the bar. I am cool with either the Ho-Dog or Bristol.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast