mtbr member

Freeride Park - Colorado Springs - Work Days

Work on the freeride park at Red Rock Canyon will begin this Saturday and next. Here is the info from Tony, the project manager:

[SIZE=2]Hey everyone,[/SIZE] [SIZE=2]I have secured a generator[/SIZE][SIZE=2] for the next two Saturdays! I am working on the supplies list and will have the wood, etc Saturday Morning. I will also have a[/SIZE] [SIZE=2]General Contractor there to help get us going.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]What we still need:[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]·[/SIZE] [SIZE=2]People, we need to have some warm bodies there[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]·[/SIZE] [SIZE=2]Circular saw (at least 2)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]·[/SIZE] [SIZE=2]Drills, bits, (at least 4)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]·[/SIZE] [SIZE=2]Hammers[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]·[/SIZE] [SIZE=2]Shovels[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Make sure you have water and sunscreen.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Please reply if you are[/SIZE] [SIZE=2]able[/SIZE][SIZE=2] to assist. I[/SIZE][SIZE=2]’[/SIZE][SIZE=2]d like to schedule the work day from Saturday[/SIZE] [SIZE=2]July 1[/SIZE][SIZE=2]st[/SIZE][SIZE=2] and Saturday July 8[/SIZE][SIZE=2]th[/SIZE][SIZE=2] from 9am-1pm.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Finally we will be building real stunts[/SIZE][SIZE=2]…[/SIZE][SIZE=2].thanks for all the help and please pass this on to interested people.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]See ya Saturday![/SIZE]

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!

Bump for visibility

This park has been slow getting off the ground, but it will be ground breaking. If it is successful, parks around the country will use it as an example. The same goes for if it fails. Please come out and help make this park great!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

I'm in for the 8th

Hey,

I'm in. Would love to help out. Just not sure where to show up. Can you send directions? I would be able to show up on the 8th.

kristian, I think we may have met b4. I was riding with Paul Chen and we crossed paths in Palmer Park. (I had a red Bullit) Anyhow, the chinaman (Paul) has a back injury so he is sidelined. Always looking for a group to ride with. Let me know.

Also, I would love to see this park do well. I'll bring a Circular saw, Drill and bits and all my shoes.

-Vic

mtbr member
    Directions to park:
    http://www.springsgov.com/Page.asp?NavID=4069

It is just off of Hwy 24 btw I-25 and Manitou Springs.

I won't be there this weekend either but will be there on the 8th.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Any weekday trail days

Any plans for some weekday trail days? Would love to help but I have a crappy work schedule for awhile. Would also like to work on the advanced trail that is suppose to go on the eastern ridge of the park.

Chris

mtbr member
    Not sure about any weekday work days but will post any info I receive. Also, not sure who is building the trails, I think that might be a different group.

Anyone make it to the work day today and want to give an update?

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Quote Originally Posted by heckler_asx
    Not sure about any weekday work days but will post any info I receive. Also, not sure who is building the trails, I think that might be a different group.

Anyone make it to the work day today and want to give an update?
    Tony (the project manager) had to load all of the wood himself without help from Home Despot so we got a little late of a start but were out there until 2:00 or so. We got the first stunt 99% completed. It's a 10 foot bridge about 3 feet high and 3 feet wide with ramps up on both sides. I think it's going to be the most beginner stunt there. It's ridable now, but we need some lag bolts securing the ramps better. I'm amazed at how SOLID it came out. Between the concrete footers and lots of cross bracing it should be there for years. We also got the teeter part of the first tetter totter built.

On Saturday 7/8/06, the plan is to finish the first (easiest) tetter totter and get started on some of the skinnier stunts. Some of the stuff should be pretty cool--there are some LARGE rocks (5' high or so) that will be incorporated into a bridge/tetter line and some threeish foot drops (maybe bigger, but this is still the beginner area).

If you come, bring your bike! No one brought a bike last Saturday other than one of the guys daughters. That meant that people were forced to ride the stunt on a 24" girls bike with coaster brakes .

Also, be sure and bring eye protection. Safety glasses or good sun glasses should be worn the whole time as there was a lot of saw dust flying around

I mentioned to Tony that there is a lot of interest in after work days instead of weekends and he was receptive to the idea. The problem is that it is a lot harder to line up a generator on the weekends and most of the saws were coarded tools. I will post any updates as I get them. I'll also post pictures of the stunts after next week. I'll also post any updates on the meeting time Saturday but plan on 9:00 unless I mention differently.
    Last edited by kristian; 07-03-2006 at 07:23 AM.

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Quote Originally Posted by limesoda71
    Hey,

I'm in. Would love to help out. Just not sure where to show up. Can you send directions? I would be able to show up on the 8th.

kristian, I think we may have met b4. I was riding with Paul Chen and we crossed paths in Palmer Park. (I had a red Bullit) Anyhow, the chinaman (Paul) has a back injury so he is sidelined. Always looking for a group to ride with. Let me know.

Also, I would love to see this park do well. I'll bring a Circular saw, Drill and bits and all my shoes.

-Vic
    Yup, I remember that. Bummer that Paul is still down--gotta get him to lay of the dirt bike! We have a Tuesday afternoon group ride at 4:30 and a lot of the people on this board get together on other nights/weekends for a ride. Give me a holler sometime.

Dirt Displacer
    I don't have much in the way of power tools, but I do have a bunch of hand tools, and usually some free time after work.
    Bombardier :::: MCM #249

[SIZE="5"]Trails Listings, GPS Tracks, & Forums[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="5"]Singletracks.com[/SIZE]

Giggitty giggitty!!
    Hey I just moved to Colorado Springs and would love to help out. I did a lot of trail building and stunt building where I used to live. Unfortunately my stuff is not here yet so I only have a hammer and a couple of screw drivers .... if you'd like a set of hands I would love to come out.

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Quote Originally Posted by dhpimp
    Hey I just moved to Colorado Springs and would love to help out. I did a lot of trail building and stunt building where I used to live. Unfortunately my stuff is not here yet so I only have a hammer and a couple of screw drivers .... if you'd like a set of hands I would love to come out.
    Sure, the more the merrier! I'll bump this thread up when we get closer to next Saturday as a reminder.

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!

Bump

Just in case anyone has forgotten, we'll be out there at 9:00 tomorrow, Saturday the 8th.

We will be able to finish the first teeter totter, and we can start on some of the skinnier stunts. With a good turn out, we will be able to finish the totter and two bridge-to-drops.

Things to bring:
    Eye protection--Safety glasses or sunglasses
    Drills--(with screw driver bits) battery is nice, but we will have a huge generator
    Saws--circular saws and sawzalls
    Tape measure--there were a few floating around last time, but the more the merrier
    Extension cords--if you are bringing corded tools
    Bike and helmet/armor--nothing like first tracks on a new stunt
    Water

Don't worry if you don't have tools to bring. Last time there were more than enough tools to go around.

mtbr member
    Just to reiterate what Kristian already said, here is today's email from the Project Coordinator:

[SIZE=2]Hey everyone,[/SIZE] [SIZE=2]Just[/SIZE] [SIZE=2]wanted[/SIZE][SIZE=2] to confirm that we are on for tomorrow morning at 9AM. I have confirmed the generator and I will have the necessary supplies on site.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]I look forward to seeing you there![/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Sup Colorado Springs....glad to hear that this project is still up an running. If you are still building in September when I return from the desert (not the edible type) I will be all in for the building efforts with tools and a full size pickup truck to hall dirt/rock/lumber. Oh, and I'll bring my new Trek Session 77 to test out all the hard work you have been putting in to the trail.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Something gonna go down this weekend? I would love to dig and ride, just a hardtail for me though :sniff:

BTW I have a cordless Circular Saw, Drill, and loads of hand tools to get the job done.

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Quote Originally Posted by rafg
    Something gonna go down this weekend? I would love to dig and ride, just a hardtail for me though :sniff:

BTW I have a cordless Circular Saw, Drill, and loads of hand tools to get the job done.
    I haven't heard yet. I won't be there if there is anything this Saturday, but I will post any information I get from Tony here.

mtbr member

Update...work TODAY (2006-07-13).

From Tony...the project manager...

"I am picking up the truck and Generator at 4:30 today. I will stop by Home Depot for some additional 4x4 posts and should be at the park around 5ish.

For those that can make it….see you there!"
    Phillipians 2:3-8 "...but (Christ) made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant..."