Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Freeride Park - Colorado Springs (Getting closer!)

On behalf of Medicine Wheel:

On this coming Saturday morning, Medicine Wheel is sponsoring a cleanup in Red Rock Canyon Park, as part of our sponsoring of the new dedicated freeride area in the park.

This will be a great opportunity to come check out the park, look at where the freeride area is going to be, and to help get that new project off the ground. The freeride are is going to be an exciting addition to our riding in town, with the opportunity to build and ride North Shore style stunts, technical challenges, a skills park for beginners, and even the possibility of large drops (how about 20 feet?). So come check it out!

The cleanup will start at the main parking lot at 9:00 am, Saturday, December 4th. Get to the park by driving west on highway 24, past 31st street, then making the next left off of the highway at Ridge Road. You will see the lot in front of you to the left.

We need to show the city our dedication and support of the opportunity that they have given us in this new park, so please try to show up.

Thanks again for all your support of Medicine Wheel.
    Phillipians 2:3-8 "...but (Christ) made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant..."

RIDE TO LIVE&LIVE TO RIDE
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeCOLORADO

On this coming Saturday morning, Medicine Wheel is sponsoring a cleanup in Red Rock Canyon Park, as part of our sponsoring of the new dedicated freeride area in the park.

This will be a great opportunity to come check out the park, look at where the freeride area is going to be, and to help get that new project off the ground. The freeride are is going to be an exciting addition to our riding in town, with the opportunity to build and ride North Shore style stunts, technical challenges, a skills park for beginners, and even the possibility of large drops (how about 20 feet?). So come check it out!

The cleanup will start at the main parking lot at 9:00 am, Saturday, December 4th. Get to the park by driving west on highway 24, past 31st street, then making the next left off of the highway at Ridge Road. You will see the lot in front of you to the left.

We need to show the city our dedication and support of the opportunity that they have given us in this new park, so please try to show up.

i know it's too late to come and help on sat. but i would love to come and check it out and do what i can to help. could you possible give more specific directions coming from like i-25 and 470 area.

mtbr member
    While the park is officially "open" there is only about 2 miles of very green, doubletrack hiking/biking trails open. The freeride area is getting cleaned up (as above!), it's still in the design/prep and fund raising stage right now.

If you still want to come down to check out the park:

Head south on I-25 to Colorado Springs
    Take the Highway 24 exit and head West
    The first cross street is 8th and you'll keep going West to just past the 31st street intersection.
    After you pass the 31st street intersection get in the left lane and get ready to turn left at the next turnout.
    Turn left...you can't miss the Red Rock Canyon entrance.
    Phillipians 2:3-8 "...but (Christ) made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant..."

eci
    If you still want to come down to check out the park:

Head south on I-25 to Colorado Springs
    Take the Highway 24 exit and head West
    The first cross street is 8th and you'll keep going West to just past the 31st street intersection.
    After you pass the 31st street intersection get in the left lane and get ready to turn left at the next turnout.
    Turn left...you can't miss the Red Rock Canyon entrance.
    is it right by manitou springs???

i wanna help out so bad but i have to work saturdays.

Cynical Bystander
    Quote Originally Posted by snowskilz
    is it right by manitou springs???

i wanna help out so bad but i have to work saturdays.
    It's closer to the springs than to manitou I'd say. Come down sometime soon todd and i'll show ya.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

mtbr member
    Very close to Old Colorado City...not far at all from Manitou Springs, the Manitou Springs exit off Highway 24 is only a mile down the road.

Trivia TidBit...did you all know that Manitou forks used to be made in Manitou Springs?

Cynical Bystander
    Very close to Old Colorado City...not far at all from Manitou Springs, the Manitou Springs exit off Highway 24 is only a mile down the road.

Trivia TidBit...did you all know that Manitou forks used to be made in Manitou Springs?
    Yup, the guy started the company there too didnt he?

btw were you at red rock canyon on saturday for the cleanup? not sure if i can match people to their online handles or if any of them there had any handles here.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by COmtbiker12
    Yup, the guy started the company there too didnt he?
    Doug Bradbury - God's answer to Paul Turner's (first) creation...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Get the fund setup yet?

Got some $$ to contribute, but waiting to see if anything's been setup yet so that you can officially take the donations. Let me know and I can get some $ to ya. Thanks, PattD

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I want to come help but have no way there I am not old enough to drive. I heard there was some small stuff already but do specifics. and when you say clean up do mean like pick up trash , build stuff or clear trails?

mtbr member
    As long as you're not too terribly far out of the way, I can give you a ride.

No stunts yet...and yes, cleanup means picking up trash and generally cleaning up the area. The building phase will come soon enough.

Cynical Bystander
    When's the next cleanup day?
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

mtbr member
    I don't know...I'll post here though when I find out.

mtbr member
    Wheezing after blowing the dust off this project...

!!! I just got word that the plans have finally received the approval and full blessing of the city engineers. We'll regroup (it's been over a year), and start building as soon as possible. !!!

Look for building to start at Red Rock Canyon Freeride Park within a few months.

Cynical Bystander
    Sweet!!! What do the approved plans consist of as far as the layout and what not?

I've driven by it a few times on Hwy24 and it looks like there's some tiny little teeters or wooden things at the bottom area like was discussed WAY back then.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

mtbr member
    There are some "materials" that have been donated...actually some pre-built teeters/bridges. One really cool chain bridge too.

The plans were on hold waiting for the "city engineers" to stamp their approval on the individual "man made feature" designs. The big concern was that they be built to some sort of code so they wouldn't falll down when someone rode on them.

mtbr member
    any word on when the work days are going to start up?

mtbr member
    May 2004

Structures

Can you tell me if the built up structures at the bottom are going to be put on 1 or 2 trails? I would hate to see them all bunched together in a small area.

Can't wait for these things to be put up. Does anyone know where else there are some wooden structures on the Front Range? I lived in NH for a year and almost every piece of singletrack had them (lots of wooden ramps, log pyramids to go over, logs to ride across). Hell even Vultures Knob in Ohio has more structures than the places around Colorado Springs (the only structure I can recall is down in Pueblo).

Chris

go big
    Jan 2004
    If wood is needed i have acces to a endless supply of 2x4 and what not

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Have about $500 worth of 2x4's that I'm about ready to...

...toss out. Let me know quick if anyone needs/wants them.

Thanks< Patt
    [SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]"Jet Propulsion provided by Del Taco"[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Quote Originally Posted by PattD
    ...toss out. Let me know quick if anyone needs/wants them.

Thanks< Patt
    If nobody needs them for trails, I could definitely use some of them to finish my basement.
    Now with more vitriol!

mtbr member
    Current plans are for three "phases" of building, resulting in three distinctly different areas and levels of ability.

First phase will the the lower area where all that crap is currently stockpiled, more of an introductory/beginner area. Hopefully it will get knocked out quickly this spring so we can get the fun and much more extreme stuff done up in phases 2 and 3.

Build dates? ASAP - I'll post here when we're ready to roll with actuall dates.

go big
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla
    If nobody needs them for trails, I could definitely use some of them to finish my basement.
    finished basement's are my speciality let me know what you need
    heating, plumbing,electrical, framing.

mtbr member
    Current plans are for three "phases" of building, resulting in three distinctly different areas and levels of ability.

First phase will the the lower area where all that crap is currently stockpiled, more of an introductory/beginner area. Hopefully it will get knocked out quickly this spring so we can get the fun and much more extreme stuff done up in phases 2 and 3.

Build dates? ASAP - I'll post here when we're ready to roll with actuall dates.
    Any updates on when the actual building is going to start?

mtbr member
    Setting the footers for the perimeter fences on Saturday morning (the 20th). Once the fence is up "technical feature" building will soon follow.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast