mtbr member

FR Trail advice for recovering clavicle break

I have been cleared to ride again on mellow trails (been about 8 weeks) and I rode at Marshall Mesa/Spring Brook to finish the trail I started when I broke it (plate and 9 screws). Wanting to hit a long trail this weekend, something fun but no big drops because I don't want to screw anything up. I ride a lot on Heil/Hall/Dakota/Apex and the like, all of which may be a little risky for me. I would love a recommendation or two, something where I can put in a few hours, something more than a fire road, but easier than Dakota. Two that come to my mind that I have never done are Buff Creek and Green Mountain--are those such trails? Cheers!

banned
    flying monkey

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Lair o bear

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaindavis View Post
    I have been cleared to ride again on mellow trails (been about 8 weeks) and I rode at Marshall Mesa/Spring Brook to finish the trail I started when I broke it (plate and 9 screws). Wanting to hit a long trail this weekend, something fun but no big drops because I don't want to screw anything up. I ride a lot on Heil/Hall/Dakota/Apex and the like, all of which may be a little risky for me. I would love a recommendation or two, something where I can put in a few hours, something more than a fire road, but easier than Dakota. Two that come to my mind that I have never done are Buff Creek and Green Mountain--are those such trails? Cheers!
    Go to Buff Creek. Once you start descending and turning, just forget that you have a front brake and you'll be fine. The only tricky thing is the kinda slippery gravel.

Up and down Chimney wouldn't be bad either.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Green Mtn is very easy from a technique and likelihood of injury standpoint, but a few loops will give you a great workout.
    From the rooney lot, cross 470 and the 470 bike path, go right on the first trail (I think the straight-ahead trail is still closed?). Keep going through the 4 way intersection, up over the top of green mountain, keep going straight on fire road for a mile or so (towards towers), more singletrack off to the right to take you down to the loop trail. Go right on the loop trail and take it back to the aforementioned 4 way intersection. Go right and do another loop.
    The ascent has 50 feet of easy climbing through rocks, fire road has a half mile covered with baseball size rocks, and I think there are two waterbars to drop on the way down. That is about it from an anything that could possibly make you fall standpoint.
    I'll look for a gps file of mine as I can't remember the names of the trails.

Edit - gpx added. I'll mention that this shows taking the trail straight ahead after crossing 470, but that was closed last time I rode GM. If you open the gpx in google earth, magnify in on the area just east of 470, and you can see the trail to the right that meets up with the trail I took at the 4 way intersection.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by nhkrugb; 07-03-2011 at 08:55 AM.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the suggestions and gpx tracks--appreciated!