FR Tandem rental...?

Really interested in trying a legit tandem MTB with my girlfriend.

Obviously i know it's not for everyone. One of those things where both people immediately love it, or someone hates it and never wants to do it again (or see you again, perhaps).

She's been up for every crazy adventure we've been on to this point though. Bitter cold November backpacking trip on kenosha, backcountry skiing, picked up cross country skiing, variety of high-country bushwhacking hikes...etc. Might as well press my luck and do some biking.

Any recommendations for a shop (preferably denver/golden/boulder area) that rents something more serious than a village-cruiser kind of tandem? better yet....a 29er?

contains quinine
    I don't know that I've ever seen a mtb tandem for sale in a shop, much less for rent. Maybe ask if there's one you could borrow in the tandem forum?
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Check with the Gearage/New World Sports in Fort Collins

Bad Andy!
    Call Tandem Cycle Works.
    I rented a roadie tandem there before we bought ours, and think I remember an MTB (not "legit" like you want), but serviceable.
    If there is someplace that rents better ones, he will (probably) tell you if you ask.

Bad Andy!
    Having a hard to replying to anything on MTBR lately, sorry.
    I just PM'd DS2199 on this forum alerting him of this thread.
    He may know. PM him.

mtbr member
    I don't know if there are any shops around here that rent. Tandem cycleworks may have a demo. We actually rented a tandem in Crested Butte years ago (from Adaptive Sports -at the base), but it was our first time on the MTB tandem and did not even do any real single track at the time. It might be worth looking into that. Also, DaVinci tandems is local and they MAY have something that you can ride, but they do a large proportion of their business on the road side...

We were already riding road tandems, so we knew that we could do the tandem thing without killing each other - so we just made the leap to a mtb full suspension 26" tandem back in 2008. We've since sold that bike and now have two 29ers, one hard tail and one FS.

I'm happy to discuss tandems, some would say that we're a little obsessed. There's also a tandem section on this forum. Some good info there.

<100%
    i think Davinci has independent pedaling, something that would seem a requirement so that you are not forcing each other to bash pedals on rocks. i'd love to rent one too. cannot imaging buying one, maybe doing a race on one....but can't imagine wanting to ride one as your regular ride.....how about a demo tandem at a resort at race time....I'd pay a few coin to take a timed hot lap.....so honey, we are going to drop this rock, then that rock, then we need some air to clear....... you'd have men stoking men, women stoking women, cats and dogs......oh nevermind. Post it up if you find an option....I'd bite once, maybe twice.

mtbr member
    I've often thought of trying to have some kind of business with off road tandems. It's something that my wife and I really enjoy and get countless comments and questions when we are out on the trail. But tandems are such a niche business and mtb tandems within that segement are a niche within a niche, that I don't hink it would be financially viable - maybe a good hobby though...

Regarding the DaVinci independent coasting being a requirement for off road tandems, I'd have to say that it has its benefits, but also limitations. I suppose that is another topic altogether. Bottom line is that one can make a legit argument for independent coasting and can be countered for having tandem pedals "synched". We've ridden both and actually owned a DaVinci for quite a few years. Talk to Todd or Brian over there at DaVinci, they're good guys and make a quality tandem right here in Denver.