FOX 36 freeride fork?

So whats the word with the 36? Annybody know what "stepped" TA means? If you've had any time behind a 36 I'd love to hear your thoughts.

And whats the idea behind a AIR freeride fork. Fox's website make the 36 sound like a air fork. Is that correct?

- Porch -
    "If we were Vikings, Rocky Mountain aspen stands would be our Vahalla and its singletrack our bounty" - Mtn Flyer Mag #14

Are your pants fresh?

I think

the stepped TA means that the travel is adjusted by clicks in XXmm increments. There's an '05 Specialized Enduro w/ a FOX 36 at Wheatridge Cyclery (dropped in today to get a wheelset built up). Massive looking fork, nice looking. No ride experience to report. But from a short conversation with one of the sales staff, basically the 36 is a big, overbuilt TALAS fork with 150mm of travel. The color is a little odd, sort of a dark warm grey. They weren't sure if they were going to be stocking the SX Trail, and were not going to be stocking any SX's.

They did, however, have a seemingly good deal on a Yeti dirt jump frame/fork combo.

FP

Stand back

thru axle

Quote Originally Posted by Porchsong
    So whats the word with the 36? Annybody know what "stepped" TA means? If you've had any time behind a 36 I'd love to hear your thoughts.

And whats the idea behind a AIR freeride fork. Fox's website make the 36 sound like a air fork. Is that correct?

- Porch -

I think stepped TA would be a stepped thru axle. Although I spose it could be travel adjustment, but they've never used that term before with the Talas, and from my understanding, the travel adjustments are the same.
    I would have no problems running an air FR fork - I had no issues with my Talas, and the damping is supposed to be improved for '05 Fox forks. There are also quite a few good ride reports from IBike, and the air for light freeride question seems moot now that there are so many people dumping romics in favor of Fox RP3's. The only issues I see w/ the 36 are cost and color...
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

Are your pants fresh?

Whoops

my mistake. Dbabuser's right.

FP

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshpants
    my mistake. Dbabuser's right.

FP
    I was thinking the same thing you were, even after Dbabuser posted that. But I went to the Fox site and looked at their info on the 36 and found this, which settles the debate all together....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Are your pants fresh?

Soo...

what exactly does that mean? Does the axle change diameters (stepped obviously) where it contacts the bearings or something similiar? It's not of critical importance since I'm not even considering the fork ($$), but I'm curious just the same.

Thanks,
    FP

Stand back

axle/ fork interface

Quote Originally Posted by Freshpants
    what exactly does that mean? Does the axle change diameters (stepped obviously) where it contacts the bearings or something similiar? It's not of critical importance since I'm not even considering the fork ($$), but I'm curious just the same.

Thanks,
    FP
    I've never seen one any closer than their ads in magazines, but I'm guessing the axle steps down (to 20mm) in diameter when it goes thru the drop out (like my sherman), so when you tighten the end bolt, it pulls the dropouts together to meet the hub. Otherwise, you'd have to tighten the pinch bolts on one side, then tighten the end bolt, then tighten the other side's pinchbolts...
    A Pushed 36 would be the cat's nads, but that's ($1200+) approaching ludicrous price...
    Wonder what kinda deal Larry at Mtnhi could work out?
    Golden Bike Park

Stand back

update

so now I've seen one in person, altho it was just the 36R. Stopped by Wheatridge cyclery today, they had 2 '05 Enduro's built up. The large had the R, and that's the one I rode. I wasn't as excited about it as I thought I might've been, but of course it was just a parking lot ride. It was pretty smooth, but it really would require more than curbs to really appreciate it I'm sure. Does look pretty substantial in person tho. And the color, well, maybe it needs bright sunlight to make it come alive. Or total darkness...
    Golden Bike Park

Outcast
    Some more info for you; it weighs more than 5 pounds [see the thread in the suspension forum], those who have ridden it were not wowed by it, some saying they were way more impressed by the '05 Z1 FR, which weighs but a few ounces more than the fox. And furthermore, it's gonna be a while before any are available for AFTERMarket purchase. Yes, you can see them as OEM equipment right now on some bikes.
    I'm getting the feeling that this fork is gonna be one overhyped, overanticipated, and dissappointing fork.

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    I'm getting the feeling that this fork is gonna be one overhyped, overanticipated, and dissappointing fork.
    At $800 bucks or so - this is what I'll be telling myself.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    If the suspension is as good as the '05 TALAS, and I have no reason to believe it won't, and it's stiffer and has thru-axle then I will not be disappointed. Getting it PUSH'd will be icing on the cake and turn around time will be quick since they plan on relocating to Fort Collins in March/April.

Overhyped? Overanticipated? Sure. What isn't in mountain biking?

Problem with the Z1 is not the weight, but lack of on-the-fly adjustability and having to deal with oil heights & spring weights to get it dialed in. But it sure is a sweet fork none the less. Been riding its predecessor, the Z150, on a Ventana El Chamuco and I love it, but I want my next bike to have more adjustability. If Zoke made the AM-1 in a thru-axle and choose a slightly less revolting color then I would definitely have given it more thought.

And while most shops won't have it until early-March by most recent accounts, Jenson is now showing "in stock now" for the 36.
    Last edited by The Squeaky Wheel; 02-04-2005 at 01:17 PM.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein

Stupid and Dangerous
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    Problem with the Z1 is not the weight, but lack of on-the-fly adjustability and having to deal with oil heights & spring weights to get it dialed in. But it sure is a sweet fork none the less. Been riding its predecessor, the Z150, on a Ventana El Chamuco and I love it, but I won't my next bike to have more adjustability. If Zoke made the AM-1 in a thru-axle and choose a slightly less revolting color then I would definitely have given it more thought.

Have you thought of a "franken fork" I've heard of a few people moddifing the AM with Z1 FR Lowers and voila the best of both worlds... It sounds intriging so you should try it and let us know how it goes

Quote Originally Posted by Evil4bc
    If you really want the best ajustable single crown fork , get a Marzocchi all mountain 1 , and if you want a 20mm axle instead of the qr , swap the lower legs out , WOW a fork thats lighter than the 36 and it's availible ...... holy crap batman !!!
    Some Pics:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.ph...chmentid=53853
    http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.ph...chmentid=53854

Sounds interesting!

Bodhisattva
    Have seen the "ZAM" hybrid reports, but that entails buying 2 forks which is more than the 36. And I have faith in Fox since I've loved their products from day 1. The 36 will be my 4th Fox fork.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein

Outcast
    if you haven't read it:
    Fox 36

MK_
    carpe mañana
    The ZAM1 as assembled by ssinga is what you guys are referring to, I think. He did buy two forks and frakened it up. I believe that the lowers can be obtained without having to get the whole fork, just requires some diggin around. Check the Turner forum, I read in one of the recent threads the store name where you might get it. Alternatively, if you don't want a thru-axle, just paint the damn thing. The fork seems to have wowed a lot of people, 36 just looks though, but is lacking in the wow. Anyway, I am talking out of my ass cuz I have ridden neither.

_MK