mtbr member

Found a nice deal on rims

Was surfing around for some white 28mm (AM) class rims and found some Syncros DS28 for a pretty good price.
    From all reports, they will work w/ Stans strips for UST setup in spite of Syncros' silly bead lock notches, but might need to run UST tires vs. goo-ing up some standard tubed tires.

Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated w/ the store.

Anyone seen any deals on some white Terry Ti Fly saddles?
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

MK_
    carpe mañana
    Go look for deals on Halo Freedom Disc. It's the same rim; made by the same Taiwanese manufacturer. The small difference is the Halo is drilled for shrader valve vs. Syncros being drilled for a presta. For some reason Halo rims are much cheaper, meanwhile, they're laser etched vs. stickered.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_
    Go look for deals on Halo Freedom Disc. It's the same rim; made by the same Taiwanese manufacturer. The small difference is the Halo is drilled for shrader valve vs. Syncros being drilled for a presta. For some reason Halo rims are much cheaper, meanwhile, they're laser etched vs. stickered.

_MK
    Thanx MK! They are indeed WAY cheaper compared to DS28 @ full retail, and still better even at the sale price! Thought I scored so somfin. Cancelling my order and will look for some of these

Edit: picked up a pair of Freedoms for the price of one DS28 @ full retail! Now, some straight gauge black spokes @ 255mm. Anyone w/ a deal I should check out?
    Last edited by Pau11y; 02-11-2010 at 04:34 PM.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Heads up Flyboy!!
    Use electrical tape and a tubeless Stem (mavic or stan's) to seal up your rim. One strip down the middle, one strip offset right, one strip offset left and another strip of tape down the middle. NO need to waste your money on those strips. I just sealed up a 29er DT SWISS TK 7.1 D this way and have sealed up various other non tubeless rims this way in the past including Mavic and WTB rims.

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics
    Use electrical tape and a tubeless Stem (mavic or stan's) to seal up your rim. One strip down the middle, one strip offset right, one strip offset left and another strip of tape down the middle. NO need to waste your money on those strips. I just sealed up a 29er DT SWISS TK 7.1 D this way and have sealed up various other non tubeless rims this way in the past including Mavic and WTB rims.
    Neat trick!
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

ride
    What mge said. On some rims, though, you might have to take more than a few laps around them with black tape (Stan's tape works pretty good, too). Some rims necessitate the need to build up the spokebed of the rim so the tire fits tighter on the rim. Makes inflation much easier.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Your retarded
    I agree with this method, but have had the best results using a cloth tape (hockey stick tape) for the first pass right down the center. Use electrical tape for the next three passes. I say this because the cloth tape helps prevent the electrical tape from blistering and bursting out of the spoke holes of the rim.
    A trail that’s too difficult wouldn’t exist because it’d never be used. But, trails can exist that’re too difficult for you.

Heads up Flyboy!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr
    Some rims necessitate the need to build up the spokebed of the rim so the tire fits tighter on the rim. Makes inflation much easier.
    I've used 3m foam seal for this. Like what you would use on window sealing.

Nickle, I've never had a problem using electrical tape only but I may do that as a safegaurd in the future.

Your retarded
    Nickle, I've never had a problem using electrical tape only but I may do that as a safegaurd in the future.
    I did... when I tried it on my road bike. I never got that setup to work, but it made me realize how much it would suck to experience that on the trail. It's not likely to happen, but under the right conditions, I'm sure it could even with mountain bike tire pressures.
    Last edited by Nickle; 02-11-2010 at 01:48 PM.
    A trail that’s too difficult wouldn’t exist because it’d never be used. But, trails can exist that’re too difficult for you.

..ouch
    You may also want to try the 1" roll Gorilla tape (split in half on the roll with an exacto). The adhesive should last longer.

ride
    Strapping tape (the stuff with the fibers in) works really well, too.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Well if we're exploring tape, I nominate gaffer's tape. It's like hockey tape on steroids w/ pressure sensitive adhesive. So following mgp's instead w/ electrical tape, 2 layers of this stuff should be sufficient to even Roadie tire pressures.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Is there a Halo rim thats equivalent to the Syncros DS23?