cheeseburger in paradise

Good job! The Fort Invades Mt. Elbert

Yep, a crazy clan of FoCo folks will be heading out this weekend to summit Colorado's tallest peak. Our quest for the summit begins at 6am on Saturday morning (we'll be camping at Lakeview the night before) and we'll be taking the South East approach. If you think yourself crazy as well, and feel like breathing thin air, well then feel free to sing along. Of course, none FoCo folks are welcome as well.

Refer to this thread for reference audio/video stoke material: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...90004#poststop

OMG!
    stoked

cheeseburger in paradise
    Quote Originally Posted by adjunkie
    stoked
    indeed. Leaving in an hour. looks like it's gona be a cold ride.

mtbr member

Wink you didn't hear this from me

enjoy!
    [SIZE="1"]
    (brakes bled?)[/SIZE]

cheeseburger in paradise
    WOW! That was crazy! gotdirt, I don't know how you pulled out that bail without loosing your face. Well done! That is some steep poo.

Started out with 7 riders. 5 summited (1 without his bike). No brake problems, but the descent was a bit brutal on the bikes. 1 rider's soft tail bike turned into a hard tail half way down as his shock bottomed out and never came back up. Weirdest thing cause it didn't lose any pressure. 1 rider's Ellsworth Truth has a fancy new dent in the top tube, and I have a bent derailleur hanger from a rock I thought I could slip past.

It was the a beauty day as there wasn't a cloud in the sky.

I'll try to get some pics up later.

Thread Terrorist
    I'm glad you made it! That's not a place for an Ellsworth.... or a carbon fiber bike. All them rocks at the top! I also remembe my Jocky Pulley snapping off somwhere...

Would love to see the pics! Congrats!

RYD W/ FLO
    Mar 2007
    pictures! pictures! pictures!

cheeseburger in paradise

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by karatemonkey
    pictures! pictures! pictures!
    More pics and video will be coming, but for now peep these out as a slideset http://www.flickr.com/photos/bluchri...7601701849612/

skillz to pay billz
    dems some blu skies going on

cheeseburger in paradise
    yea, we had a near perfect day as far as weather goes. I say near perfect as the wind was IN-SANE.

RYD W/ FLO
    Mar 2007
    Just a little sad I couldn't make it. We should do some other class 1 14'ers. Grays/Torreys anyone?

Stiff yet compliant
    Here are a few more shots I had on my camera.

The approach.

These guys were all over the place.

It was a wee bit windy up there. I think I was leaning over in this picture to avoid being blown over.

Isn't there a rule that you have to hold your bike over your head when you reach the top of Mt Elbert?

Stopping for a rest as we get back to treeline.

My brakes didn't fail but they sure got HOT on the way down. I could smell them. That was with 8" front 6" back.

cheeseburger in paradise
    More pics added to the slide show: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bluchri...01849612/show/

I had forgotten that there was a mini keger at the top. These guys hauled a pony keg up top and then had a few brews. Damn, one beer would get a guy drunk at that altitude. Guess we're not the only crazy ones.

And as a side note, for those thinking of "riding" UP Mount Elbert, I don't think the South route is any more ridable than the North route. Especially at that altitude. We maybe rode 25% of it. Tops. Coming down was a hoot though.

Got a few small videos that I'll try to upload soon.