mtbr member

Fort Collins Trails

Flying in for Graduation from CSU and I have a free day on Friday the 18th. I am going to rent a MTB, where do you guy's suggest to ride in that area?

pain intolerant
    Apr 2006
    Fort Collins terrain?

Hotels in Fort Collins

We can give you more specific advice if you tell us the type of riding you're looking for. Time, distance, climbing, tech, fitness level, ride from town or drive to trailhead, etc.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info!

I will be renting a bike from Full Cycle in Fort Collins. I can ride from there, (as long as its not to far) or drive to the trail. Looking for 2 -3 hours, under 20 miles, around 1000-1500 ft of climbing. Since I will be renting a bike I am not familar with, nothing to difficult, be definatly don't want to ride on flat single track the whole time.

Thanks
    Mark

pain intolerant
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark194 View Post
    Thanks for the info!

I will be renting a bike from Full Cycle in Fort Collins. I can ride from there, (as long as its not to far) or drive to the trail. Looking for 2 -3 hours, under 20 miles, around 1000-1500 ft of climbing. Since I will be renting a bike I am not familar with, nothing to difficult, be definatly don't want to ride on flat single track the whole time.

Thanks
    Mark
    Riding from Full Cycle:
    1. Ride about one block north to the Spring Creek trail (ask the Full Cycle guys the best way to get there from the shop).

2. Take the Spring Creek Trail (this is a paved bike path) west about 4 miles to Pineridge Natural Area.

3. Ride north, crossing over Stadium Drive, to the Maxwell Natural Area.

4. Make your way up the Maxwell trail climb to the top of the hogback.

5. Cross over Centennial Drive (CR23) and go north on the Shoreline Trail (AKA Foothills Trail).

6. Stay on Foothills as it parallels CR23. You'll ride through a parking lot with a small reservoir beach on your left. Pick up the trail as it continues on the north side of the parking lot.

7. Shoreline/Foothills Trail eventually ends and you'll have to cross over to the east side of CR23. You can either ride pavement over the damn or ride the VERY technical Foothills Trail down the east side of the hogback, across the east side of the damn, then back up another very technical section of trail. I'd recommend riding the black top across the damn and picking up Foothills trail on the other side (you'll see a few entry points on your right).

8. Ride Foothills to the Reservoir Ridge/Michaud Lane area. You can do a longer loop here or take the most direct route to the parking lot at the end of Michaud Lane. This is the end of the trail.

9.Ride pavement back to Full Cycle.

This map shows every paved and dirt trail I just described.
    http://www.fcgov.com/naturalareas/pd...as-map7-12.pdf

This should be about a 20 mile ride and take 2-3 hours. You can simplify it by just doing an out and back, turning around whenever you've gone far enough.

If you're going to drive to a trailhead, I'd suggest going to Lory State Park and riding the valley trails. Add the Timber to Kimmons loop and Sawmill Trail climb for some extra challenges. As long as you don't try to climb the Mill Creek Trail you can't go wrong in this area.

It's about a 20-25 minute drive each way to Lory. You'll spend about the same amount of time riding from the shop on the paved Spring Creek trail to Pineridge.

mtbr member
    Thanks! I will ride this on Friday

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    an awesome ride id recommend that takes about 1:00 to 1:45 depending on how fast you want to climb/ride is to start at the horsetooth mountain park trailhead, ride up south ridge trail to waten, ride down wathen(awesome mix of fast and technical pretty much all downhill) go up spring creek a short distance to herrington, take herrington to towers trail(smooth service road), take towers up to carey springs(a short but very fast super fun flowy downhill. you'll connect into loggers trail, take herrington back the way you came, back to spring creek, ride that down to sodeberg which then connects you back to south ridge trail, and back down the way you started, back to the trail head.

if you want to lengthen the ride a little more you can add some more trails onto that, taking a left on sawmill off of a loggers and riding shorline is a fun one.

there is a good bit of climbing but in that loop all the major climbs are on easy flat service road type stuff, so its pretty easy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info guy's, coming from 100 degree weather in Phoenix, I am looking forward to the weather. To bad I can't bring my new Bronson with me! But, I rented a Niner Rip 9, so it should be a blast!